Thread: Help Needed : Care & Feeding of 1974 Webley Mk3 Supertarget

Help Needed : Care & Feeding of 1974 Webley Mk3 Supertarget

Hello to All,

I have just got a 1974 Webley Mk3 Supertarget.

Can you please let me know of any tips/wrinkles WRT to the care & feeding of this rifle ?

How often, and with what, would you lube the tap ?

What do you need to do to, and how would you, maintain the leather piston washer ? etc. etc.

Many Moons ago I would have said add a drop of moly/silicone oil (e.g.Abbey SM50) to closed tap every tin of pellets, and work in. Add a drop of moly/silicone oil into open tap, close tap and cock to draw oil into the compression chamber to feed the piston washer.

However, times have changed and I would like to know the current 'best practice' for looking after these classic rifles.

Many thanks

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

The taps on some early 70s Webley Supertargets can be a little tight, especially if they have not been oiled since leaving the factory. If yours is fine, I would leave it alone until it starts to feel tight. If/when it does, I would completely strip the tap, degrease everything and relube with a smear of moly paste. That loosens things perfectly and should work for the next 40 years. I apply the odd drop of SM50 through the tap but only if there is no sign of dieseling. Other than that, a wipe over the metal parts and sights with an oil soaked cloth after use and a wax wipe for the stock is all the maintenance these classics need.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 10-01-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

John,

Many thanks

Are there any guides on how to strip the Mk3's ?

How does one strip the tap ?

(I have had a quick peek under the left hand tap cover, and I can see a hollow pin on the tap axis, and underneath that, two small holes with what looks like small ball bearings in them.)

The tap action feels very smooth - kind of Goldilocks - not too loose and not too tight

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Really in this case.

I just oil mine and shoot them now and again.
    Same as making love to a beautiful woman when you are a bit older!

gingernut,

Ta

The tap is nice and smooth, and it shoots very well. The trigger, whilst a bit heavier than modern rifles is nice and crisp. It is averaging ca. 595 fps with 8.0 gr. pellets.

I will definitely leave it be and shoot it I will be using it in the Spring/Summer MPL competiiton.

have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

If the tap is OK, then as Gingernut says, best to leave it alone. Webley advertised MV of 600 FPS, so sounds like you have a good one. Shame the triggers were so heavy on these post 1966 Mk 3s!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

John,

Ta

Whilst the trigger is a little heavy, it is very crisp, so the rifle shoots very nicely

I am looking forward to doing the MPL cards with the Mk3

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Another vote for don't pull it apart. Also the piston washer can be easily damaged on removing the piston, so if power is OK then folow the advise from the posts, with an occasional drop of SM50 lube through the tap as and when. I don't like silicone on the outside of the tap. Close fitting metal to metal etc...