Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gamo Falcon/Centre/Target?

Thanks zooma.. i had a look.. ill maybe see about joining next month. Ive got fishing and shooting club fees due this payday amongst other things..
    Ill brush up on the rules and get some practice in in the meantime.. watch out for me though... im getting a new seal made for my .22 tempest... im wishing ut was a .177 now... is there an MPL .22 section?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    .....Therefore to prolong the life of the loading port, Geco might be more prudent. The performance of Geco in the Gamo seems to have been established previously, but I'll let you know if I have any problems.....
    Update on Geco pellets in the Falcon....some pellets fall through the loading port! If you do use them take care with the angle of the pistol while loading, otherwise the pellet might end up on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I only tried hobbys as its the only 177 pairgun and only 177 pellets i have.
    Let me know if you test a couple of pellets.. ive heard that flat headed geko are quite good
    Update for you. I put some test shots across a Chrony using the Falcon, Gecos and Hobbys. In my pistol Geco produced the most consistant results. Interestingly the complete opposite results on other pistols, and a few are happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Thanks zooma.. i had a look.. ill maybe see about joining next month. Ive got fishing and shooting club fees due this payday amongst other things..
    Ill brush up on the rules and get some practice in in the meantime.. watch out for me though... im getting a new seal made for my .22 tempest... im wishing ut was a .177 now... is there an MPL .22 section?
    Hi Donald,

We did run a .22 section some time back and it was interesting as all the pistols used were "kickers" and a lot of them were Webley's If there is enough interest at the end of June when this current competition is finished we could re-introduce it for the next season.

Meanwhile - your .177 GAMO undercover will do a good job for you in the MPL and it is a great competition to get involved with.

I have an entry pack waiting for you....
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks zooma but itll have to wait for now... i keep picking up projects that need funding and funding is wgat im short on. This ones a mk1 hw80...
    Besides i need to get the practice in with the falcon
    Donald

Anatomical Grip for my GAMO Centre

I had a spare set of GAMO Compact right handed anatomical grips left over from converting a Compact to left hand for a previous club member and I have always wanted to make a set of wooden anatomical grips to fit a GAMO Centre so these looked like a suitable doner to make a start with.

I got the razor saw out and made some adjustments to fit the frame after I had locked the Centre's grip frame at a suitable angle and found everything looked promising.

Sadly I gained a large split on the pad on my thumb and so there is a slight delay in the progress but it has given me some extra time to study the project a little longer and with suitable internal packing to fill the gaps left by the difference in size between the larger Compact grip frame and the smaller Centre grip frame I think it could work quite well.

The Compact grips have always been a bit over-sized so I have some spare "meat on the bones" to make a nice fitting grip once I get everything fitting snugly.

This is an interesting little project and I hope I will be able to use the finished result in the MPL series as soon as it is completed.

Hi Bob,

be interesting to see how the anatomical grip on the centre goes. My speculation is that a good fitting grip may be a disadvantage as the pistol (mine anyway...) seems to shoot best with a loose grip and letting it move about on firing - I wonder if a 'good' grip might impede that.

Having said that I want pictures!!!

I think I may have isolated the cause of some of my fliers - slightly loose grip angle adjustment screw....

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hi Bob,

be interesting to see how the anatomical grip on the centre goes. My speculation is that a good fitting grip may be a disadvantage as the pistol (mine anyway...) seems to shoot best with a loose grip and letting it move about on firing - I wonder if a 'good' grip might impede that.

I think I may have isolated the cause of some of my fliers - slightly loose grip angle adjustment screw....

Duncan
    Ha - you could be right about a decent grip adversely affecting the accuracy Duncan but I thought it was worth a try.

I do have a GAMO Target version of the Centre and that comes with a moulded plastic anatomical grip with adjustable palm shelf, and that shoots well enough so it should be OK.

.....but time will tell and I will take some pictures for you.

Best regards,

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hi Bob,

Duncan
    I have taken some pictures for you showing the Centre with the Compact grips fitted and screwed into position using the original Compact screws and hole positions to keep it looking tidy. I will email them to you shortly.

The grip has been made to fit quite well and will need a minimal amount of terracotta Milliput to fill the small visible gaps that could not be avoided due to the different shapes of the two pistols main frame sizes but these gaps really are very small and the fit is surprisingly good.

I need to do some more work on the inside to fill the gaps between the narrow Centre grip "tang" and the previous machined-out shape inside the grip.

Unfortunately I do not know how to post any pictures on the BBS but if you think they look interesting and are worth showing you would be very welcome to display them as it may encourage a few more to have a go at what is quite an easy conversion.
    Last edited by zooma; 14-02-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Zooma's compact grips on a centre!

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/bli.../pistol%20pics

Above are pictures of Zooma's Gamo Centre with Gamo Compact grips - looking good!

Frog

That looks great!..I wish the falcon had grips... I would give it a go. I've got a big slab of walnut here awaiting handle projects!
    Donald

Compact Grip Fitted.

I have now got the Compact grip fully fitted and working well on the GAMO Centre air pistol.

The Compact grip is delivered "over-sized" in any case so now it is fitted I will make some minor adjustments to make it fit my hand better and then re-stipple the areas that I work on before giving the grip a new oiled finish.

This has been an interesting project that did not take too long or too much work to complete and has made the already good Centre into a much nicer match pistol both to look and to shoot.

When I have finished "titivating" it I will take some more pictures but to be fair I don't expect the finished result to look much different to the pictures Duncan has already posted for me.

If anyone is tempted to have a go the Compact grips are available as a spare part and it is fairly easy to convert them to fit the Centre pistol as the grip "tang" of the Centre is the same thickness as the grip frame of the Compact so only minor cutting is required and some filling of the space left between the narrow width of the Centre grip tang and the wider cut-out that comes in the wooden Compact grips.

I like it.

I've just added a very nice example of the Centre pistol to my collection. My intention is to use it to hone my 10m skills so that when I revert to my LP2 in a few weeks, all shots will go in the 10! That's the theory anyway.

Seriously though; I shot the Centre at the club on Sunday and was VERY impressed. In fact, my first three shots with it formed a clover leaf across the 8 and 9.

The Compact grips mod' looks like a cracking idea. How much are they and where from Bob?

Thanks

I71

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    I like it.

I've just added a very nice example of the Centre pistol to my collection. My intention is to use it to hone my 10m skills so that when I revert to my LP2 in a few weeks, all shots will go in the 10! That's the theory anyway.

Seriously though; I shot the Centre at the club on Sunday and was VERY impressed. In fact, my first three shots with it formed a clover leaf across the 8 and 9.

The Compact grips mod' looks like a cracking idea. How much are they and where from Bob?

Thanks

I71
    If I remember correctly ( and I seldom do) Knibbs had them in stock for about £55 last year when I last checked so it may be worth looking there to see how much they are asking for them now.

I just checked Knibbs site for you and they have them in stock for £45.

The best bit about this is that I remembered who sold them and (for me) even the price was close....things are picking up a bit