Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing your pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is much to be recommended for washing pellets and treating them carefully. I don't hold with the idea of tipping them all out at once into a cleaning solution, but rather I do them one at a time whilst wearing surgical gloves (a) to avoid the possibility of corrosive skin products affecting the surface of the pellet and (b) to avoid the risk of picking up any germs from the people who made and packaged the pellets.
    A rinse in acetone followed by a polish with warm beeswax imparts a healthy lustre to each pellet, but one should always take care to ensure that the area inside the pellet skirt is clean in order to avoid possible imbalance of the pellet inflight. Easy enough on .22 pellets (I use cotton buds for this, one per pellet) but on .20 and .177 pellets I have found that feathers from a pillow, when attached to a wooden cocktail stick, are ideal for dealing with the smaller area.
    I've been doing this for the past ninety-five years and have not yet managed to miss a barn door at ten yards, so for me yes - washing pellets is most worthwhile and to be recommended to anyone who wishes to extract the best performance from their Webley Junior.

Silver Captain Guest
    I was considering it but after much reading I have decided not to, just take good care of them to ensure they are not misshaped through bad handling.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    There is much to be recommended for washing pellets and treating them carefully. I don't hold with the idea of tipping them all out at once into a cleaning solution, but rather I do them one at a time whilst wearing surgical gloves (a) to avoid the possibility of corrosive skin products affecting the surface of the pellet and (b) to avoid the risk of picking up any germs from the people who made and packaged the pellets.
    A rinse in acetone followed by a polish with warm beeswax imparts a healthy lustre to each pellet, but one should always take care to ensure that the area inside the pellet skirt is clean in order to avoid possible imbalance of the pellet inflight. Easy enough on .22 pellets (I use cotton buds for this, one per pellet) but on .20 and .177 pellets I have found that feathers from a pillow, when attached to a wooden cocktail stick, are ideal for dealing with the smaller area.
    I've been doing this for the past ninety-five years and have not yet managed to miss a barn door at ten yards, so for me yes - washing pellets is most worthwhile and to be recommended to anyone who wishes to extract the best performance from their Webley Junior.
    This ^^^^^.

Plus, a great way to store them is on pallets. One pellet per pallet. In a 'balanced enviroment' temperature controlled warehouse.

On the other extreme, olympic standard match-target shooters mostly use them straight from the tin.

Did you start drinking especially early today then, Mike??
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

This will not do. You forgot to irradiate them with Neutron beam, if you do not do this the pellets will not have two heads. One @ 4.52 and the other @ 4.53mm.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    On the odd occasion that I do wash the pellets, I just leave them in the Ultra Sonic cleaner with warm water and a drop of house hold washing up liquid. The residue is mostly a small amount of metal shavings . I have stopped lubing them a while ago as I found no advantage in my PCPs and Dieseling and inconsistency in my springers. If they go through with the legislation and ban Lead then we might have to look into alternative ways of lubing as Lead itself is one of the best lubricant metals available but I doubt that Tin has this property.

A.G
    Might be worth examining pre and post utrasonic bathed pellets. My inderstanding that ultrasound can cause pitting in lead.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill