Thread: Falcon raptor light hunter

Falcon raptor light hunter

Falcon raptor FN19/12

I have been somewhat confused as to the origins of mine, but have come to the conclusion that its an FN19 carbine model so effectively a FN12 Raptor action in the FN 19 light hunter stock.

The basics:

Calibre: .177
    Pre charged (PCP)
    Multi-shot, bolt-action rifle
    Walnut skeleton stock
    Adjustable butt pad
    8 shot magazine
    Just over 7lb all up weight with IR zoom scope and mounts.
    Overal length with long silencer - 37 inches.

I have had this gun for a little while now and to be honest I love it, which in itself is quite amazing as when first looking at guns I didn’t like the styling off it so much, but once you have picked this rifle up you wont want to put it down again.
    The stock is just heaven, light yet rigid, smooth but not slippery and fits my hand like a glove.
    The rifle also balances very well with the falcon long silencer and quick fill fitted, I do find though that my left hand tends to gravitate towards the area just in front of the trigger, thus allowing some bracing of the arm on your hip for standing shots.
    The adjustable butt pad along with the raised cheek piece mean that whatever your size you can set your rifle and scope to suit you.
    Obviously its light weight means that even with my disability I can heft this rifle without issue.
    I was worried that there wouldn’t be enough “meat” in the wood to fit a QD swivel to the fore end of the stock, but on separating the action and stock I found fitting it wasn’t an issue as long as you avoid the area where the fixing screws for the action are recessed.
    The blueing on the metal work is of an excellent quality and if looked after should never be an issue.

The action works on a driven pawl mechanism to advance the magazine, thus when the gun is cocked the magazine advances to the next index point, as you push the bolt forward the pellet is chambered.
    The only downside is that in order to fit the magazine or remove it the gun must be cocked, as there is no other way to de-cock the gun to remove the magazine you have to sacrifice a pellet or finish the magazine full and then dry fire it .

You really need to make the right choice pellet wise or the action of the bolt can be stiff and graunchy. In fact with accupells mine jammed on more than one occasion.
    John cooper at falcon recommends AA pellets, but I have had good results myself using Bisley superfield’s so will be switching to them now.
    Another pellet I have heard good things about from across the pond is the beeman range. I hope to source some ramjets and semi-hollow points soon to try.
    So as far as pellets go please don’t bother with accupells.

Filling the gun is very simple with the excellent and well thought out quick fill adaptor, this one features a rotating outer shell that acts as a dust cover, yes it works and works very well at that.
    Fill pressure is a lowly 190 BAR but you can get around 30 or so full power shots from that in.177 before it starts to drop off (more in .22)
    There is no built in pressure gauge so shot counting is in order. The mags are indexed with readily viewable numbers to allow this.

I prefer the standard long falcon silencer to the quick fill version; it has a full baffle system inside and fits a treat along with the quick fill. Off course it does the job as well, in fact most of the time I can hear the thwack of the pellet above any noise the gun makes.
    Talking about noise, there can be a bit of a twang at times but this can be cured with a “detwanger” that falcon can either supply or fit at the time of service.

The trigger is a two stage adjustable trigger, the blade a fairly straight one and nice ‘n’ wide as well. The integral safety works well, in fact with it engaged I haven’t been able to get mine to misfire no matter what I do. (Yes I tried for this review)
    The “pull” can be set surprisingly light, in fact the first time I fired mine it caught me out, but this has had a positive effect on my shooting in that it finally got me out of resting my finger on the trigger and pointing it along the stock as I should have been.

This rifle is accurate, like most others in its price range the only thing that’s likely to let you down with regards to accuracy is your own ability.

Spares and back up are good from falcon.
    I have had several questions for John and he has never once been too busy to answer.
    Servicing works out at £80 for a full service, power set and re seal including return carriage. If you send your gun back to falcon for servicing they are happy to fit items such as a detwanger for the cost of the part, the labour being covered in the service itself.

N.B Falcon set the power at 11.5ft/lb with Bisley magnums.

Plus points:

Ultra lightweight.
    Gorgeous stock
    Accuracy
    Versatility
    Falcon quality and back up.

Minus points:

Low shot count
    Can be pellet fussy (see notes on accupells)
    Stock is almost too pretty to risk hunting with.
    Cant de-cock/remove mag without firing.
    No pressure gauge

Would I buy another? Hell yes. If I ever get the money I certainly will.
    Last edited by magicaxeman; 10-06-2007 at 09:05 PM.
    Professional cripple,currently dis-armed

very in-depth and well layed out review!! thanks

Can anyone tell me whether there is a power adjustment screw to fine tune the power of the Falcon Lighthunter?

My mate is thinkin of getting a light weight PCP with a pistol grip because he has Kemboks disease which affects his wrists. He also wants the freedom of fine tuning the power - like i have with my S410, which was shooting at 10.4 ft/lb out of the factory.
    AA S410k .22 - Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x50 IR
    BSA Lightning XL .22 - AGS 3-9X40
    Webley Nemesis .177 - Webley 1.5x15

yes there is
    Rapid MKII .177 | Beretta 687 EL Gold Pigeon II
    My Good Lady | Batley & District Gun Club

Theres a good chance that new ones will be fitted with some form of anti tamper

Falcons are set at 11.5 ftlb with bisley mags in the factory so to speak..

I would recommend the falcon to your friend, especially if he has a problem with lifting heavier weights..

The FN12 with the light hunter stock is even lighter than mine (mine has the FN 19 light hunter stock.)
    Or maybe even pick up an FN8? thats lighter still.

tunning

My dad once brought a second hand falcon at 18 foot pounds thinking it was only 12 , so unless u r buying a new one always check it before buying because falcons are well known to be spiced up

Test post

awesome write up

looking to buy a fn19 so this sealed the deal! Obviously this was written a long time ago but is there an official page for Falcon anymore?