Thread: reloading 17 hornet

reloading 17 hornet

It appears to be difficult to get hold of 17 hornet reloading equipment,
    I am looking for recommendations for dies (hornady or rcbs ?), and other bits and pieces, and best place to get them on line
    Also, I assume the 22 hornet shell holder is suitable for the 17 ? What about the case length gauge ?
    Any advice welcome
    Cheers
    Last edited by Devil_bri; 19-01-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_bri View Post
    It appears to be difficult to get hold of 17 hornet reloading equipment,
    I am looking for recommendations for dies (hornady or rcbs ?), and other bits and pieces, and best place to get them on line
    Also, I assume the 22 hornet shell holder is suitable for the 17 ? What about the case length gauge ?
    Any advice welcome
    Cheers
    She'll holder will be fine, case length gauge won't be as it's pretty close to .224 in diameter to guide it I guess so unless you can get someone to turn it down on a lathe it will be no good. I use lee dies for my .22 hornet and they work absolutely fine.
    Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Unfortunately lee do not make 17 hornet dies !

as I shoot mostly pistol cals and BP, I know nothing of these cals,
    are .17 rem and .17 hornet totally different cartridges ?
    I only ask as I have a set of .17 rem dies for sale,
    thanks,T

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_bri View Post
    Thanks
    Unfortunately lee do not make 17 hornet dies !
    Thats a pain, they would make them, pretty sure Guesty had them make a forming die for forming .17 brass out of .22 or at least spoke to me about it, either Hornady or RCBS would be fine I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    as I shoot mostly pistol cals and BP, I know nothing of these cals,
    are .17 rem and .17 hornet totally different cartridges ?
    I only ask as I have a set of .17 rem dies for sale,
    thanks,T
    17 hornet is a necked down 0.22 hornet

17 Rem is a necked down 0.222 Rem Mag

So, totally different I'm afraid!
    Thanks for looking

I got an email from lee yesterday, they will be mass producing 17 hornet dies this year

I've been reloading 17 fireball, a slightly smaller .223 necked down case than a 17 rem, there are several 17 reloaders in our club including 17 Ackley hornet which is v. similar i think to this straight 17 hornet.
    There are a few interesting things in the world of small calibres like this and cracking around the neck (of the case seems a problem), so annealing regularly seems to be the only solution as well as neck sizing where possible but my experience has been you may only get one or two max, neck sizings tween FL sizing.

Also neck tension on small cartridges at the std 0.002 inch can be a bit tight and shaves a bit of the bullet when inserting so i reduced mine down to 0.001 inch and found that ok. presumably there is less flex in such a small neck c/w even a 223? maybe related to case hardened brass before annealing?

Goes without saying that even .1 of a gn in powder can be significant.

However having said that, I tried to find the best accuracy with 20 gn v- max with H4198 16 to 17 gns in .1 increments and couldn't see any group difference!! Repeated it again and same result. Not sure I understand that, but maybe with my relatively heavy barrel and the small bore that there is little flex and variation in harmonics as very stiff??
    Anyway good luck, be interested in how you get on.

Regards Optomist

Hornady make the dies for the .17 hornet. A .17 hornady modified cartridge to fit the hornady oal gauge is also available. It uses an adaptor to fit the hornady oal gauge.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.