Thread: What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I suspect you have an "Alpha Male Roland" !
    Too slow a pellet and he'll catch it in his teeth and blow it back at you !
    “An airgun or two”………

from your rifles

i think the 77 is the most capable. why don't you spend the 150 on a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I suspect you have an "Alpha Male Roland" !
    Too slow a pellet and he'll catch it in his teeth and blow it back at you !
    "That is why he needs to us a Phaser Jim. Anything else would be illogical"
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

What started out as a question about pest control is turning into self defence! Large rat populations...alpha rats...I think I will try to obtain a .25 and shoot from an upstairs window for my own safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlleyland View Post
    What started out as a question about pest control is turning into self defence! Large rat populations...alpha rats...I think I will try to obtain a .25 and shoot from an upstairs window for my own safety!
    Make sure your "quarter bore" has a bayonet attachment and "go in hard" !
    “An airgun or two”………

Ok Carl, got my sensible head on now, please excuse the "daft head" used previous !
    By enlarge I'd go with TonyL's #2 post.
    Personally I've not done a large amount of rat shooting but I have done a little for a local pest control firm in the past.
    I used a Mk. 1 BSA Lightning in .22 Cal.,a BSA Lighting XL Tac in .25 Cal. and lastly a Theoben Fenman in .22 Cal.
    All pellets were H&N Field and Target Trophy.
    All three rifles were short Carbines which were lightweight although the Fenman was heavier than the other two.
    For me, a carbine was superb as most of the work was internal in and throughout farm and industrial properties. I do accept though that the Fenman is well out of your budget and the other two are also just over but these guns proved their worth to me at the time !
    “An airgun or two”………

Thanks Blackrider, it is looking like I will use a .22. The last thing I wanted was to wound it....maybe it just looks big! I will be putting out bait on a backstop tonight and for the next few nights until the ambush. If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?

Thanks Blackrider, it is looking like I will use a .22. The last thing I wanted was to wound it....maybe it just looks big! I will be putting out bait on a backstop tonight and for the next few nights until the ambush. If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?
    If there's more than one, persevere, keep putting "a shift in" until you think you have sorted the problem or at least made serious inroads into it and even then make periodic checks from time to time !
    Good luck Mate !
    “An airgun or two”………

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Every bit of advice here from everyone is absolutely sound whatever rifle you use and you do have the rifle(s) necessary. Now, i bought my first rifle - HW77 in August gone, for the sole reason of taking out an invasion of squirrels that had plagued my loft for two winters running. They were all over my garden ! I was so determined to 'take out' as many as I could and in my minds eye I could see how it would all play out positively. It did thankfully and 28 squirrels later to date (and there are more) I have only had to use 2 pellets on one of those. However, my first one, perhaps like your rat, was nonetheless my first and you will be surprised how nervous that first time will make you feel. It's close, it's still, and its in your scope as big as a horse. Your heart will race, you will be apprehensive but stay calm, breathe deep and above all - follow through with the shot (keep your eye in the scope for at least a second after trigger pull) and all should be well, no more Mr Ratty (apart from the others). The long time hunters/shooters on here may not remember that day they took their first kill but it will be scary, exhilarating, and damn addictive
    Do let us know how you get on and if I've been nuts or maybe just odd ??
    Last edited by NewPaul; 20-01-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?
    Take the one that presents a clean safe shot first...