Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

Hi

I have a singular rat (I think) that stalks my composter, never seen more than one so I wonder what best to end him with? I have meteors, Ospreys and a 77 . I was thinking of resealing a Crosman Ratcatcher (appropriate name) but to fit a silencer and metal breach would be the same as a newish Hatsan in .25.

This brings me to my main point, if you lads were given this task would that rifle and calibre be the best choice? I ask because this is an opportunity to justify a new purchase , does anyone have any similar suggestions? My budget would be around £150

Thanks for any help....I dont want to trap or poison the poor guy just get rid of him quickly

The .25 Hatsan you suggest would, I'm sure, perform the task admirably.

Having said that, any calibre would do the job, so maybe a .22? Thinking larger pellet choice and cheaper ammo......22 Hobbies are awesome on rats and cheap.

The .22 is more efficient, so you'd have a sweeter firing cycle for comparable muzzle energy figures.

As most ratting is conducted at shorter range, you really do have a big choice of rifles to go at; anything upwards of 8ft.lbs will be more than ample. Most of the Hatsans offer excellent value for money.

Must admit, this is one scenario where the stumpy little, quick handling Lightning would come into its own, though your stated budget would be pointing you towards a used one.

After all is said and done, though, if you're just fancying a .25 for the hell of it and some extra variety, go right ahead.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the information Tony...I have a few rifles that are .22. I have never shot a rat and did not want to wound it.

For years, the .22 was the "go to" hunting calibre and is tried and tested on Roland and co., so worry ye not.

In my earlier days, I shot loads of them with a .22 Meteor. Power was never measured, maybe have a guess at 8 to 9 FT.lbs ish?? And countless other shooters will have taken many thousands of rats with lower powered rifles, the humble little Meteor taking a huge tally, I'd guess. At typical ratting ranges (up to 15 yards), even 7ft.lbs muzzle energy will be more than enough. Nail 'em in the head and they'll be cleanly killed. I'd still prefer flatheads or Hollowpoints, though.

But, as said above, if you fancy trying / owning a .25, go for it. The big calibre has many fans who love it for its "knockdown power". At 12ft.lbs, it's loopier trajectory may be a disadvantage at longer range, but at ratting range, no issue.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I should think the '77' is more than capable of doing the job, having Meteors, Ospreys and a 77 at your disposal I think your gonna have a job to find summat for £150 to match that little lot, just a suggestion but why don't you take the 150 and get one of your other rifles tuned/overhauled/customised !...👍

Thanks again, I will try with an older .22 when the weather gets warmer. It will only be 15 metres at most...the Hatsan is definately on the cards for this just to be sure but I will keep an old meteor by the back door. This rat is pretty big and I have seen him during the day....he was first spotted 3 doors away!

If you can, try and bait him to a certain spot where you'll get a clear shot and you have a safe background.

Bait him for a period of a few days, at the same time, so the little bugger gets all cock-sure of a freebie feast. Then sort him.

I had not thought of upgrading Tornado...thats not a bad idea but I dont want to get the 77 or the Osprey wet (soppy I know) so I was thinking of using plastic.

The baiting tip is excellent, the bloody thing seems huge....how long do they live? Maybe he is old and will die off soon - I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Carlleyland View Post
    the bloody thing seems huge....how long do they live?
    Tiny fractions of a second once a Hobby goes through his brain!!

I had not thought of upgrading Tornado...thats not a bad idea but I dont want to get the 77 or the Osprey wet (soppy I know) so I was thinking of using plastic.

The baiting tip is excellent, the bloody thing seems huge....how long do they live? Maybe he is old and will die off soon - I hope
    So there's your answer, the '77' or the 'Osprey' it is then, now all you gotta do is choose which one and no it ain't 'soppy' as you put it, none of my rifles have ever intentionally seen a rain drop in there lives (bar getting caught out) and yep the bait is a damn good idea, I'd do it on the QT over a few days and he'll soon get to cock sure of himself and that's the time to nail him !...👍

Anything that will chuck a baracuda Hunter extreme! Doesn't matter which caliber
    These pellets were made to destroy rats, rabbits, ferals. They aren't fussy, bsa barrels seem to really like them.
    I use them a lot on rat and feral work.

Thanks Chaps, I will be out with the peanut butter spread shortly. As you say hopefully he will become even bolder though any more confidence and I will be finding him opening the fridge! I have even thought this guy maybe tame? I will use a Meteor in .22, he has to go

All the rifles listed will do the job well if coupled with the right pellet for the job.
    But if you want to do it with style and panache...... get a BSA 635 magnum and a tin of Milbro Rhinos. LOL.
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Thanks again, I will try with an older .22 when the weather gets warmer. It will only be 15 metres at most...the Hatsan is definately on the cards for this just to be sure but I will keep an old meteor by the back door. This rat is pretty big and I have seen him during the day....he was first spotted 3 doors away!
    Your rat is probably actually several rats, (they tend to look the same) the rats seen in the day are usually lower in the rat heirachy, as the senior rats in the social order get to choose when the safest time forage for food which is usually in the evening.
    If you are seeing rats during the daytime may mean you have a large colony residing near you as the rats lower in the pecking order are forced to feed during the more dangerous day light hours.
    At least they should give you plenty of target practice!
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

I am now going to google BSA 635! Also I do hope that this guy is at the top of the pecking order and likes daylight because if there are meaner rats I need the A team!

Seriously I never knew about the pecking order in a rat colony. Maybe it is time to have a chat with the neighbours and call someone in?