Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

Honestly not something I would wish to do again with shorts and flip flops on! The little sod flipped head over heels backwards towards me! Anyway I have a few guns with more power but I am seriously considering a .25 just to make a louder noise when it hits home so that his mates can hear it!

Use Hobbies if you have a .22, very accurate 660fps and they stop quick too, swear by them for rodent shooting.

Thumbs up sticky...

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    This story will be told wherever men revel and quaff

CARL AND THE RAT

One day as Carl left the house, he heard a noise, was that a mouse?
    No, no it was much worse than that. It was a giant Kung Fuu Rat!
    Carl thought "I'm really sunk". It's walking rice paper like a Shaolin monk.
    Being a reasonable sort of man, he came up with his pacifist plan.
    He thought that they could get along, but that is where Carl was wrong.
    This was a nasty rat and he taunted Carl and his cat.
    He would saunter down the garden path, point to them and just laugh.
    After 5 months of this strife, he made the mistake that cost his life.
    He told Carl "I'll make this clear. I want you both out of here.
    You two are only my pitch. I'm king rat and you're my bitch"
    Carl wasn't taking that, so he made his plan of attack.
    Next day poor Ratty turned his back and Carl took his Meteor out the rack.
    A Milbro Caledonian to the head. That was it, Ratty was dead.
    Carl got his spade and dug a hole. Now there lies Ratty---Rest his soul.
    brilliant - defo a sticky mate
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Use Hobbies if you have a .22, very accurate 660fps and they stop quick too, swear by them for rodent shooting.
    This situation has gone far beyond that....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    This situation has gone far beyond that....
    Indeed it has!

I hear that Rat-a-twat-twat is amassing a huge army of murderous, buck-toothed mercenaries and is planning a full-on assault for the weekend.

Carl, you need to be ready, my friend....very ready!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Haha the arms race is on! I was zeroing my Air Arms Hi Power in the farden when a rat ran along the bottom of the fence, probably spooked by the shot. Now if I had possession of a pcp multi shot I could have buried him next to his mate! The wifes not buying into the idea...
    I will certainly be trying the pellets mentioned though

Farden...meant garden of course

If it was just the odd rat now and again, that Air Arms Hi-Power would be a most awesome tool, Carl.

However, taking into account Ratticus's devious and murderous plans, I think you're going to need a little more firepower and a mini-army of your own!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Haha the arms race is on! I was zeroing my Air Arms Hi Power in the farden when a rat ran along the bottom of the fence, probably spooked by the shot. Now if I had possession of a pcp multi shot I could have buried him next to his mate! The wifes not buying into the idea...
    I will certainly be trying the pellets mentioned though
    Gees Carl if a Roland ran along the fence-line whilst you were zeroing I can only assume it was daylight ? Smaller, less dominant rats only come out in day-light if the more dominant BIGGER Roland's are keeping them off the food source Man, you've got a damn colony there mate. You've just got to give up work, divorce the wife, sell any kids you've got and devote your life to Idependence Day !!! Yeah, yeah, ok Farage did that but I bet Farage ain't a patch on 'Our Carl'
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Oh Balls! NewPaul I hope you are wrong....it was not too small. My elderly neighbour had lit a fire in an incinerator and told me a few had leapt out in different directions! They are bloody horrible things-I am blaming the neighbour but I can't be too mad as he like air guns! Wife and kids sent packing as you advised, cammo applied saving the last pellet for myself....

My elderly neighbour had lit a fire in an incinerator and told me a few had leapt out in different directions! They are bloody horrible things-
    The trick is to ensure the little b---ards are dead and IN the incinerator, tell him, Carl!!!!!

Anyway, Carly Lad.....The weekend cometh and the war to end all wars is due to commence soon. I see on one or two other threads that, in addition to the Meteor, you have the SMK19, too. But, that ain't going to be enough!
    Do you have reinforcements?

You need to be worried. Very worried. And be prepared!!!!

Hi Tony, I have a weakness for old air rifles, four meteors, two Ospreys, 1 77K, 1 MK2 Airsporter, 2 Ratbusters (not working), BSA Supersport carbine SS, 1 Jackal, 3 Scorpions (2 not working), 1 SMK19, 2 DB5, 1 HW45 and about another 15 that are under my bed rather than in the cupboard. My eldest son will load and I will shoot! LOL. (2XMilbro 79?) Gamo CF20.

Most of the guns have been acquired in a neglected state though most of what I mentioned are good to OK........seeing them written down means I have too many but more do always seem to arrive......I will send a flare up for help if we are in danger of being overun.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I think you need to apply for a Lotto grant to ensure there is no shortage of pellets. If these things get out of your garden they could over run the country.

Pete
    Pete

If we're sticking with springers, I think .22 Meteors, Mercuries and Supersports will be the order of the day. Especially in the older "English" 5.6. (Were S/Sports 5.5 or 5.6?). I say this for ease of reloading. Nice and simple, no fumbling, keep eye on the hoardes of rodent marauders whilst you feed the lead in.

And .25 even better for the very same reason.

However, and I've never owned one (and, most likely, never will), but with this huge number to contend with, maybe time for a battery of multi-shot PCPs? Ten or so should do, with some helpers charging them and re-loading magazines.

Any news from the Western Front, Carl?

Hi Tony, I have a weakness for old air rifles, four meteors, two Ospreys, 1 77K, 1 MK2 Airsporter, 2 Ratbusters (not working), BSA Supersport carbine SS, 1 Jackal, 3 Scorpions (2 not working), 1 SMK19, 2 DB5, 1 HW45 and about another 15 that are under my bed rather than in the cupboard. My eldest son will load and I will shoot! LOL. (2XMilbro 79?) Gamo CF20.

Most of the guns have been acquired in a neglected state though most of what I mentioned are good to OK........seeing them written down means I have too many but more do always seem to arrive......I will send a flare up for help if we are in danger of being overun.
    Lovely, and nothing wrong with some of those golden oldies, Carl.

Bit ironic that the Ratbusters aren't up and running, though!