Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

We have had odd rats that only seem to eat during the day, and then I have not seen them in the garden with night vision at all. Some seem happier feeding during the day even when there are not large numbers of them.

One thing that can help you avoid waiting around for hours is the fact that they do tend to feed at around the same time of day every day or night, We had one that would come out to the bird table within 5 minutes of 1 o'clock in the afternoon every day.

The best gun to use if the one that you are most accurate with at your chosen range.

Put up a target (with a backstop) at the spot where you expect to see the rat to make sure your sights are zeroed at that range.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlleyland View Post
    I am now going to google BSA 635! Also I do hope that this guy is at the top of the pecking order and likes daylight because if there are meaner rats I need the A team!

Seriously I never knew about the pecking order in a rat colony. Maybe it is time to have a chat with the neighbours and call someone in?
    Getting someone in to sort it means you miss out on all the fun !...

I thought I just had 1 intruder....now like you say it maybe more fun!

Thumbs up Good Thread...

Following this thread with interest, as I've recently brought an 'economy' break-barrel .22 with a bit of barn work in mind. While I have complete faith in .177 to do the nasty - and could almost describe a JSB RS at 870 fps/11.5 ft/lb as overkill on close-up quarry - I wanted to avoid collateral damage from the inevitable through-and-through and decided a .22 Hobby at 630 fps/10.5 ft/lb would be prudent when working the farmyard. I would have happily considered a quarterbore, but couldn't source a .25 Hatsan Striker with a wood stock at the time - I don't like synthetic stocks - and a .25 HW85/95, even from Europe or s/h, was way too far over-budget.

Hi

I have a singular rat (I think) that stalks my composter, never seen more than one so I wonder what best to end him with? I have meteors, Ospreys and a 77 . I was thinking of resealing a Crosman Ratcatcher (appropriate name) but to fit a silencer and metal breach would be the same as a newish Hatsan in .25.

This brings me to my main point, if you lads were given this task would that rifle and calibre be the best choice? I ask because this is an opportunity to justify a new purchase , does anyone have any similar suggestions? My budget would be around £150

Thanks for any help....I dont want to trap or poison the poor guy just get rid of him quickly
    Sell the lot but for the 77 and get yourself a PCP. If there was ever a use for a PCP rifle, ratting it is.

A.G

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I suspect you have an "Alpha Male Roland" !
    Too slow a pellet and he'll catch it in his teeth and blow it back at you !
    “An airgun or two”………

from your rifles

i think the 77 is the most capable. why don't you spend the 150 on a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I suspect you have an "Alpha Male Roland" !
    Too slow a pellet and he'll catch it in his teeth and blow it back at you !
    "That is why he needs to us a Phaser Jim. Anything else would be illogical"
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

What started out as a question about pest control is turning into self defence! Large rat populations...alpha rats...I think I will try to obtain a .25 and shoot from an upstairs window for my own safety!

What started out as a question about pest control is turning into self defence! Large rat populations...alpha rats...I think I will try to obtain a .25 and shoot from an upstairs window for my own safety!
    Make sure your "quarter bore" has a bayonet attachment and "go in hard" !
    “An airgun or two”………

Ok Carl, got my sensible head on now, please excuse the "daft head" used previous !
    By enlarge I'd go with TonyL's #2 post.
    Personally I've not done a large amount of rat shooting but I have done a little for a local pest control firm in the past.
    I used a Mk. 1 BSA Lightning in .22 Cal.,a BSA Lighting XL Tac in .25 Cal. and lastly a Theoben Fenman in .22 Cal.
    All pellets were H&N Field and Target Trophy.
    All three rifles were short Carbines which were lightweight although the Fenman was heavier than the other two.
    For me, a carbine was superb as most of the work was internal in and throughout farm and industrial properties. I do accept though that the Fenman is well out of your budget and the other two are also just over but these guns proved their worth to me at the time !
    “An airgun or two”………

Thanks Blackrider, it is looking like I will use a .22. The last thing I wanted was to wound it....maybe it just looks big! I will be putting out bait on a backstop tonight and for the next few nights until the ambush. If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?

Thanks Blackrider, it is looking like I will use a .22. The last thing I wanted was to wound it....maybe it just looks big! I will be putting out bait on a backstop tonight and for the next few nights until the ambush. If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?
    If there's more than one, persevere, keep putting "a shift in" until you think you have sorted the problem or at least made serious inroads into it and even then make periodic checks from time to time !
    Good luck Mate !
    “An airgun or two”………

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Every bit of advice here from everyone is absolutely sound whatever rifle you use and you do have the rifle(s) necessary. Now, i bought my first rifle - HW77 in August gone, for the sole reason of taking out an invasion of squirrels that had plagued my loft for two winters running. They were all over my garden ! I was so determined to 'take out' as many as I could and in my minds eye I could see how it would all play out positively. It did thankfully and 28 squirrels later to date (and there are more) I have only had to use 2 pellets on one of those. However, my first one, perhaps like your rat, was nonetheless my first and you will be surprised how nervous that first time will make you feel. It's close, it's still, and its in your scope as big as a horse. Your heart will race, you will be apprehensive but stay calm, breathe deep and above all - follow through with the shot (keep your eye in the scope for at least a second after trigger pull) and all should be well, no more Mr Ratty (apart from the others). The long time hunters/shooters on here may not remember that day they took their first kill but it will be scary, exhilarating, and damn addictive
    Do let us know how you get on and if I've been nuts or maybe just odd ??
    Last edited by NewPaul; 20-01-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. Crosman Ratcher 2250XL .22 AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177