Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best spring rifle for ratting?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlleyland View Post
    If theres more than one I will just take the biggest? Is that a sound tactic?
    Take the one that presents a clean safe shot first...

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Take the one that presents a clean safe shot first...
    ^^^sound advice^^^
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Your right of course Rabbit, if its not a clear shot I wont be taking it hence why I was asking about .25

Your right of course Rabbit, if its not a clear shot I wont be taking it hence why I was asking about .25
    To sum things up. You have spotted a rat/rats at the bottom of your garden, range about 15 yards? You own a Meteor/Osprey/HW77 - all more than capable of switching off ratty? You're justifiably concerned about collateral damage from over-penetration? The presence of said rat/rats justifies the purchase of a dedicated rat-buster? You fancy a dabble with .25 calibre and the Hatsan is within budget? How am I doing so far?

If you want the .25 Hatsan because you simply want a .25 Hatsan, then buy one and enjoy it - but looking at the safety aspect in an urban/suburban environment at 15 yards, having less power would make a lot more sense than a buying into a larger calibre. Your .22 Meteor at 8-9 ft/lbs would be an excellent choice for the job. If you wanted a suitable new gun for the job, save a little more and buy an HW30s - around 8 ft/lbs in .22, very accurate, very quiet, easy to cock, awesome trigger, top quality and you will still have a lot of fun using it long after Mr Ratty is stuffed and sitting in your trophy room...

Spot on Rabbit. I think your right about the power, I had not given that much thought as I was more concerned about killing the damned thing outright. It seems 8 foot pound will do it so I have a Meteor that I can use. As for the stuffed rat in the living room LOL bloody hell no. How do you dispose of the body? Wrap it up and bin it bury it? I have never dealt with a dead rat before though I know not to touch it

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Think we've all put the "gun issue" to bed but unless Ive missed it on the Thread", what scope do you intend to use ?

I used either a Simmons 4x40 WTC or a Simmons 1.5-5x20 WTC, both were excellent but others may differ ?
    I never needed much magnification and mostly shot at only 1.5 to 3 mag !
    “An airgun or two”………

How do you dispose of the body? Wrap it up and bin it bury it? I have never dealt with a dead rat before though I know not to touch it
    Any that get shot at the farm go straight into the incinerator...

At a range of 15yrds a good red dot takes a bit of beating. Something like a Hawke RD30.
    I used to roll the dead rat up in an old carpet, put it in the boot of a car and push the car over the edge of a water filled quarry. But the bin is a bit easier I found.
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

Spot on Rabbit. I think your right about the power, I had not given that much thought as I was more concerned about killing the damned thing outright. It seems 8 foot pound will do it so I have a Meteor that I can use. As for the stuffed rat in the living room LOL bloody hell no. How do you dispose of the body? Wrap it up and bin it bury it? I have never dealt with a dead rat before though I know not to touch it
    At 15 Yards you could probably use a flathead pellet. A lot of impact, minimal penetration. It is a lot safer than using a Diablo type pellet.

A.G

Thanks for the tips Chaps, I think I will use a red dot, I have a Gammo one spare, I will set this up this weekend. The bait was taken so unless a cat likes chocolate spread he is still around
    Thanks again....

Excellent.

Keep baiting the greedy vermin toe-rag and get him all nice and comfy and SO looking forward to his ill-gotten nosh and then BANG!!

As a few of the chaps have said, get plenty of practice in with the target set up at the ambush point. Nice tight, repeatable groups is what you want. Then, as Pauly had said re the nerves up above, because you know you've put the practice in at that shooting point, you've removed that variable. It's one thing less to worry about and instill confidence. Stay relaxed, believe in your abilities and remember the all-important follow through.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Think we'd all like to know how you get on Carl, seems we have taken an interest in your little Roland issue !
    “An airgun or two”………

Don't think you will get a 635 Mag for £150 more of a collector's rifle these days . If you fancy getting a new rifle you can't go wrong with a 30s in .22 they do around 8 ftlbs and with Hobbies would make a good ratting rifle I got one last year £130 delivered from Holland
    A few nice rifles

How's Roland getting on with his nice free meals?

Getting nice and comfy?

We're all waiting to hear the news.......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    We're all waiting to hear the news.......
    Ditto, been following this thread with baited breath. __________ (Sorry)...