Thread: Diopter sight price

Diopter sight price

Whats the going price for a used Walther/FWB etc diopter sight? Seem to be £80+ on the bay-is that about right?

A picture or further details of exactly which model you are referring to might help as IMHO prices vary by large amounts and a specific figure could be just a wild guess. £80 sounds a lot for a tatty old and common item, but not much for a current production little used upmarket item. Also, if an Iris is included in the item on offer, this too can affect value (by quite a large amount in some cases).

HTH, Vic Thompson.

thanks

Thanks Vic - I was looking at sights like item 131329707169 on the bay. I could get a Williams or Air Arms for less than half this but they don't look as refined, worth spending the extra?

That's off a Walther LG55 or similar.

The £70-80 region feels about right for me for current dealer pricing on a used but very good condition normal 1960-80s diopter of the kind you find on the LG55/LGR, Diana 60/65/6675, HW55, FWB150/300 etc.

Of course, you might get one a bit cheaper on here, at an Arms Fair, from a mate down the local 10M club, in a box of bits at auction, etc.

If you can find the Gamo/Air Arms one (I think it's the same thing) somewhere for around £30 new, that's still worth thinking about if you want (as your user name) to do a bit of upmarket plinking rather than Olympic competition.

the sight on E Bay could have a highish value as someone might want it a replacement for a missing item on a classic rifle, but I'm not sure that I'd buy it to use on modern weapon, preferring something as new as possible in good working order for every day use.

You can get an idea of the price for new items by looking at the Edinkillie or Intershoot or NSRA web sites, but generally you need the right dovetail fitting for the rifle it's being used on, and the Iris to Boresight height needs to have the correct relationship with that of the foresight or you won't be able to zero it.

There's no real guide to value of these things, but an item from an established supplier of match grade products will always be "expensive" as they are precision items that should have a long trouble free life. I've paid £40 or so for thirty or more year old FWB Diopters, and upto several hundred for secondhand but still in production items.

SMK and Gamo et supply budget priced items for £25 to £40 or so (guess), but I'd guess that a newish secondhand quality all metal well made item could be worth double to triple those sorts of prices.

It might be worth registering with "Stirton" the Target Shooting Forum and doing a search through the "Sales" ads and see if that helps form an idea of pricing. Ditto this site.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

thanks for info!

Thanks Vic, that's really helpful - appreciate your time on that. I think I'll continue to look about a bit to find something suitable. I've got a HW30s I'd like a decent diopter for serious plinking and semi serious 10m target... I might try and find a genuine weihrauch diopter but they don't seem all that common so wondered if I'd have to pay £80 ish for a similar alternative. Thanks again