Thread: Original model 10/6m barrel sleave wanted

Original model 10/6m barrel sleave wanted

Just acquired a nice model 10 in a box of pistols I purchased, it's in very nice condition other that the barrel sleave has cracked, does anyone have one tucked away they'd be willing to sell, I believe the model 6m used the same part. Tried all the usual suppliers but can't find one, would be nice to get this old classic shooting again.

Cheers
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I bought one from Chambers last year.
    Last edited by zooma; 23-01-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I just checked Chambers site for you and they say is is now obsolete and no longer available - bad news!

Mk 2 Model 10.

The Mk 2 Model 10 - the one with the extra mountings to move the rear sight position - also came with a barrel weight that was fixed onto the front underside of the moulded plastic barrel sleeve by two thick self tapping screws!!

A disaster waiting to happen ! - I still have one of these weights with the bits of barrel sleeve plastic still wrapped around the screw threads where it tore out and broke the moulding at its weakest point - and I have seen several others just like it over the years !

The pistol is heavy enough without this barrel weight added and it was never supplied with the Mk1 Model 10.

Now these barrel sleeves are no longer available from the manufacturers it could be a good idea not to fit another barrel weight ( if you have one) to help prevent another fracture in the future.

I have a really nice Mk2 Model 10 in its fitted carry case- I have just looked at it this morning and have to say that they are still a dramatic looking pistol that was way ahead of its time when it came out - nothing looked like it then and nothing looks like it now!

This pistol has a mint condition barrel sleeve on it - but the barrel weight is not self-tapped onto it !

Just as an aside I will be selling this Model 10 sometime soon as I still thin out my collection - this "thinning-out" is not going too well as I still see other things I like - but the volume is going down so I guess that is progress
    Last edited by zooma; 23-01-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    The Mk 2 Model 10 - the one with the extra mountings to move the rear sight position - also came with a barrel weight that was fixed onto the front underside of the moulded plastic barrel sleeve by two thick self tapping screws!!

A disaster waiting to happen ! - I still have one of these weights with the bits of barrel sleeve plastic still wrapped around the screw threads where it tore out and broke the moulding at its weakest point - and I have seen several others just like it over the years !

The pistol is heavy enough without this barrel weight added and it was never supplied with the Mk1 Model 10.

Now these barrel sleeves are no longer available from the manufacturers it could be a good idea not to fit another barrel weight ( if you have one) to help prevent another fracture in the future.

I have a really nice Mk2 Model 10 in its fitted carry case- I have just looked at it this morning and have to say that they are still a dramatic looking pistol that was way ahead of its time when it came out - nothing looked like it then and nothing looks like it now!

This pistol has a mint condition barrel sleeve on it - but the barrel weight is not self-tapped onto it !

Just as an aside I will be selling this Model 10 sometime soon as I still thin out my collection - this "thinning-out" is not going too well as I still see other things I like - but the volume is going down so I guess that is progress
    It's the MK2 I have and yes the weight has all but wrecked the sleave, the guns still useable so I'll use as is and hopefully one will turn up at some point, need to do some work on the grip, got it as a user although if I can get the sleave it is pretty much mint, there must be one out there somewhere, I also gained a S&W 586 and cp88 competition with the now rarer than hens teeth target sights, both in excellent condition, not really my thing, the model 10 was what I was after. I knew joining the MPL comp would be a bad idea
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    ....there must be one out there somewhere....
    Hope you find one. I have seen the split on the shroud of the 6M; it's the one thing that has put me off the 6M and 10M. Guessing there are quite a few pistols with split shrouds and very few spare ones around.

How do you reckon they get damaged, the sight can not touch the plastic can it? Is it all down to weakness due to the holes for barrel weights?

Yep, reckon so, all the early ones without the barrel weight holes I've seen have been ok, not sure why anyone would think the 10 needed any more weight, other than the shroud the pistol is lovely and shoots spot on so I'll just use it, if one turns up then all the better, another option would be to machine one from a plastic block, lot of work but possible, may even be possible to 3D print one but again a lot of work involved and the issue of I'd have to buy a 3D printer which would make it a very expensive barrel shroud

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Hope you find one. I have seen the split on the shroud of the 6M; it's the one thing that has put me off the 6M and 10M. Guessing there are quite a few pistols with split shrouds and very few spare ones around.

How do you reckon they get damaged, the sight can not touch the plastic can it? Is it all down to weakness due to the holes for barrel weights?
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,