Thread: Muzzle velocity for 25 yard bench rest

Muzzle velocity for 25 yard bench rest

I've been experimenting with different power settings with my Steyr LG110 at 25 yard indoor bench rest.

I'm using JSB premiums .177 and JSB exacts.

Tested from between 12 ft lb down to about 9ft lb but wondered if it's worth testing at even lower velocities?

If I go down to sub 6 ft lb, should I do so via the power adjuster at the rear of the rifle or swap for a smaller diameter transfer port ?..

Or is 6 ft lb simply too little power at that range ?

Thoughts appreciated to save range testing time..

I know the obvious answer is just to test myself but I'm interested in hearing any views...

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    I shoot my Tesro at 23yds every week. It chrono's at 6.86 ft/lbs with JSB exacts.

The big difference is that you can shoot flat nosed pellets without them deforming when leaving the barrel (at 12 ft/lbs, flat nosed pellets deform badly).

RWS Meisterklugen pellets are by far the best pellets I have ever used. 8.2gr, very well made and uniform size and weight straight out of the tin.

The difference in your scoring at that kind of range is astonishing!
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Thanks for that..

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    I shoot my Tesro at 23yds every week. It chrono's at 6.86 ft/lbs with JSB exacts.

The big difference is that you can shoot flat nosed pellets without them deforming when leaving the barrel (at 12 ft/lbs, flat nosed pellets deform badly).

RWS Meisterklugen pellets are by far the best pellets I have ever used. 8.2gr, very well made and uniform size and weight straight out of the tin.

The difference in your scoring at that kind of range is astonishing!

Thanks for the reply. That's given me some incentive to try at even lower out put and thanks for the tip regarding pellets...I will give them a go !

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's given me some incentive to try at even lower out put and thanks for the tip regarding pellets...I will give them a go !
    Hi Sundanese
    If you look on the UKBR22 website you will see the results for the 25yd HV/LV/Sporter classes

The winning scores are being shot with EV2's at 11.0 to 11.4 ft lbs in the HV and LV and AA 400,s at a similar energy level in the Sporter class using 8.4 gr or 7.9 gr pellets

We have tried lower power match rifles but they are not as accurate at 25 yds as full power match quality PCP's
    Pellets are AAField and AA Express. Some shooters may be using the equivalent JSB batches but AA pellets took the division 1 honours in the 2015 Summer season

Barrel twist rate may influence optimum pellet velocity slightly but in LW barrels used in AA rifles optimum power is as shown above
    John
    hold me back !!

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi Sundanese
    If you look on the UKBR22 website you will see the results for the 25yd HV/LV/Sporter classes

The winning scores are being shot with EV2's at 11.0 to 11.4 ft lbs in the HV and LV and AA 400,s at a similar energy level in the Sporter class using 8.4 gr or 7.9 gr pellets

We have tried lower power match rifles but they are not as accurate at 25 yds as full power match quality PCP's
    Pellets are AAField and AA Express. Some shooters may be using the equivalent JSB batches but AA pellets took the division 1 honours in the 2015 Summer season

Barrel twist rate may influence optimum pellet velocity slightly but in LW barrels used in AA rifles optimum power is as shown above
    John
    I can sort of see the attraction of this form of shooting, i.e. you don't have to support the weight of the gun, but for me, surely you are just testing the quality and consistency of the pellets, the ability of your scope and rifle to hold zero,and not your personal shooting ability?

I'm extremely disappointed if I dont get 10mm groups at 25 yds with my 6ft/lbs rifle, and that's with a front bag rest, dioptre sights, and flat nosed pellets!
    Last edited by learningcurve; 23-01-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    I can sort of see the attraction of this form of shooting, i.e. you don't have to support the weight of the gun, but for me, surely you are just testing the quality and consistency of the pellets, the ability of your scope and rifle to hold zero,and not your personal shooting ability?

I'm extremely disappointed if I dont get 10mm groups at 25 yds with my 6ft/lbs rifle, and that's with a front bag rest, dioptre sights, and flat nosed pellets!

Each to his own I suppose

. When I shot FT and 10 m match in my younger days I thought the same but if you have not shot formal BR then you cannot appreciate the challenge. Not just in achieving a 250 but in getting the required X count to win

I have shot and competed in most small bore and air rifle shooting disciplines over 30 to 40 years but I have learned more from the bench rest shooting about barrels,barrel conditioning, ballistics and shooting in the wind than you can imagine
    You would need better edge to edge groups than 10mm at 25 yds to do well at AR bench rest shooting.
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Each to his own I suppose

. When I shot FT and 10 m match in my younger days I thought the same but if you have not shot formal BR then you cannot appreciate the challenge. Not just in achieving a 250 but in getting the required X count to win

I have shot and competed in most small bore and air rifle shooting disciplines over 30 to 40 years but I have learned more from the bench rest shooting about barrels,barrel conditioning, ballistics and shooting in the wind than you can imagine
    You would need better edge to edge groups than 10mm at 25 yds to do well at AR bench rest shooting.
    John
    I have to agree about wadcutters and full power sporters, my S400 just sprays them about!
    I shoot BR in the Yorkshire County and Leeds and District BR comps.using the Yorkshire BR card,but our rules are front rest only,butt in the shoulder and the non shooting hand supporting the underside of the stock/butt,the rifle must not contact the bench top and no rear support other than your hand may be used, also any sights may be used.Air and .22 rimfire shoot together and scoring is also mixed.
    There are 11 of us at my club shooting these leagues,we did originally try the UK BR style of shooting but found that we preferred the "freeer"?style,with more shooter input.
    There are 13 divs of 6 in the Leeds winter league and last summer 30 divs of 6 in the Yorkshire County Comps.
    The AA variations are most popular but there are also models of Daystate,Steyr and HW,s as well.
    The AA Fields are in use by everybody.
    And we are all out shot by the match style rimfires,even old ones!
    Still good fun though!!!!
    If anyone fancies shooting the Yorkshire County league postal comp, for a couple of quid you can affiliate and enter!