Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cometa Indian !

Thanks Bob
    I like a bit of dangerous cocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Always rather fancied one. There's a "Webley on steroids" thing about them.

I imagine that .22" is the best, just because it sort of ought to be.

Also always fancied the Rutten Winstar HS550 pistol, for the same reason...
    Funny you should say that, I own an Indian and a Rutten Winstar. The Rutten is very much a Webley on Steroids, although in some other ways it is like a refined update of a Webley. Good luck getting one, I have been after one since they were on sale in the UK, late 1990s, only just got one last year. Glad I did though, I'm pleased with it.

The Indian: I like stuff that's quirky and different, and the Indian certainly falls into that category. It is very unusual. I find it quite accurate, though the trigger is heavy and the sights lack some adjustment. It is damn good fun though, it's powerful, in fact mine seems about as powerful as my HW45 (not a pistol I really like BTW), though not as powerful as a well-sorted BSA Scorpion. I like its looks, something about it reminded me of Deckard's pistol from Bladerunner. Ugly but somehow appealing and with some character. When I bought mine Ramsbottom's were selling them for under £100, but now I've seen them on sale for double that. Mine has a good barrel (Cometa barrels are apparently cold-forged like BSA's) that seems good with a variety of pellets. I'm pleased with my Indian. The cocking stroke is a clever idea, the barrel moves through about two hundred degrees, but this means that the cocking stroke effort is light for a powerful pistol. A good fun pistol.

Sounds good to me.

I agree, though I like the trigger, Good Bang for the Buck, under $200 in Canada.
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Quote Originally Posted by ejackyou View Post
    I agree, though I like the trigger, Good Bang for the Buck, under $200 in Canada.
    C$200 is a bargain (~£100). The black one cost almost double that in the UK (£196)

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Funny you should say that, I own an Indian and a Rutten Winstar. The Rutten is very much a Webley on Steroids, although in some other ways it is like a refined update of a Webley. Good luck getting one, I have been after one since they were on sale in the UK, late 1990s, only just got one last year. Glad I did though, I'm pleased with it.

The Indian: I like stuff that's quirky and different, and the Indian certainly falls into that category. It is very unusual. I find it quite accurate, though the trigger is heavy and the sights lack some adjustment. It is damn good fun though, it's powerful, in fact mine seems about as powerful as my HW45 (not a pistol I really like BTW), though not as powerful as a well-sorted BSA Scorpion. I like its looks, something about it reminded me of Deckard's pistol from Bladerunner. Ugly but somehow appealing and with some character. When I bought mine Ramsbottom's were selling them for under £100, but now I've seen them on sale for double that. Mine has a good barrel (Cometa barrels are apparently cold-forged like BSA's) that seems good with a variety of pellets. I'm pleased with my Indian. The cocking stroke is a clever idea, the barrel moves through about two hundred degrees, but this means that the cocking stroke effort is light for a powerful pistol. A good fun pistol.
    An interesting appraisal.....Thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………

Tried the Cometa Indian today; the trigger was better than I expected. Either the trigger varies on individual pistols, or its the old chestnut - everyones expectations/standards vary

I think it's the second one?
    And I'm ordering a Second one today!
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Indian

I have one and all the above comments are spot on. I like it but it's quirky. My big beef is the fact it's not fully strippable to tinker with. The cylinder is sealed unless I'm being a thickly. It's got great potential I can't extract...or am I missing something fundamental?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Love the Rutten Winstar !
    Never seen one and I bet they're like the proverbial "Rocking Horse Do" to get hold of !
    “An airgun or two”………

I now have a mint (and I will use that expression in this case) nickel one from a nice chap on here.
    Nice case,Spanglish manual.

Very easy to cock and good power.
    Shooting and accuracy is old school but I like that.
    Rearsight only adjusts for windage so you have to think a bit.

I have only shot it in the garage so far but I think it will be a good can basher at 10 m
    Maybe a bit more.

Certainly a better choice than many of the bb pistols around these days that are much of a muchness.

Cometa Indian!

I used to have an HW45, eventually sold it to help fund the purchase of a Steyr LP10. I have always been sorry about getting rid of the HW45...until I recently acquired the black Cometa Indian (or, to be politically correct, the Cometa North American Native).

During the past five weeks, or so, I have put nearly 1000 pellets through it. I love shooting this pistol! At home I shoot it at 9 m distance and using ISSF standard 10 m targets I average 88% scores. Twice a week I take it along to an indoor range where I exercise my .22 l.r. pistols; here I shoot the Cometa at a distance of 14 m, using bullseye targets. Same score. No sight adjustment needed. Talking about sight adjustment, the sights were perfectly set at the factory.

To me, a good trigger is one that has an even pull until right through to a clean break. By this definition, my Cometa has a very good trigger.

This might be important to someone shooting in an apartment: this is a silent pistol, the quietest I own. If a silent backstop is used, no neighbour will ever know a gun is being discharged in your abode.

Lastly, the Cometa fills the role formerly met by the HW 45 very well, at less than half the price. I am impressed.

OzzieM

Good at the range too!
    Very nice to have another springer to choose from.