Thread: Target Shooting Scope Magnification ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Target Shooting Scope Magnification ?

Not too familiar with air rifle target shooting say internal range bench rested so what mag is commonly used when doing this ?

The scopes look pretty "high mag" to me ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Not too familiar with air rifle target shooting say internal range bench rested so what mag is commonly used when doing this ?

Hi Blackrider

A popular scope for benchrest is the T36 Weaver (fixed 36x mag) but to be honest it is also one of the most popular for 50 metre BR shooting

So for
    25 yds anything from 20x plus is fine

What is very important is that the scope should have a fine reticle that does not cover the 10 ring

I have a Weaver Grand Slam which is a zoom scope with a max mag of 20 x Because the reticle is very fine it has ample magnification for 25 yd BR but would struggle at 50 metre
    I use this scope for the UKBR Sporter class at 12x mag and it does the job very well

Another thing that is advantageous is to have a scope with 1/8th MOA adjustments with clicks you can trust

1/4 inch MOA clicks can cause problems (especially if it is a budget scope) Each click equates to 1.5 mm at 25 yds and if the adjusters are poorly engineered they will not give true corrections.

Regards
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 25-01-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    hold me back !!

Hi B
    Another thing to consider when chosing a scope for BR is you might want to shoot in one or more of the postal comps that are run
    There are weight limits to the classes so the use of a big scope with 50 or 60 mm front lens may take your rifle over the weight limit. There is also no advantage in big side parallax adjuster wheels as you are shooting at just the 1 distance.

Perhaps this is why the T36Weaver is very popular as it is simple and quite light weight

Edgar Bros used to market a nice Optimate fixed power 24x scope with a target dot fine reticle
    These change hands at about £100 and are a good BR scope for 25 yds

PS
    Are you still collecting

ATB

John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 25-01-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    hold me back !!

Deleted
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 25-01-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Duplicate deleted
    hold me back !!

Many thanks for all the info. John !
    It is as I thought, quite a high magnification at 20+ !

I need to do a lot more research into scopes especially glass !

Not collecting too seriously but you know what its like, "something tasty" comes along at a good price and I get interested !

ATB,

John.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 27-01-2016 at 04:41 AM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Weaver T36, beautiful scope and I like the fixed mag but a bit too mach mag for me. As you say, 20+ may suit better.

What make/range of scopes should I be looking at with 1/8 MOA adjustment John ?

Thanks,

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Scopes

The Optimate range of scopes include both fixed power 36x and 24x scopes with suitable reticles and also zoom scopes that go up to 32x power. These have 1/8th MOA adjustments
    Their fixed power scopes have the better optics
    I believe these scopes are the old suprceeded Nikko Stirling Targetmaster range before NK changed their Targetmaster scopes to 30 mm tubes with manufacture now in China

Bushnell have a nice zoom scope that is in their Elite range and has a 24 max magnification. It was available with both mildot and fine target reticle

Bausch and Lombe who were taken over by Bushnell made a few nice scopes with fine reticle and 1/8 MOA adjustment if you can pick one up

Weaver do several suitable scopes for BR
    Sightron make excellent scopes designed for target shooting

Also the fixed 35x Falcon is available with both 1/4and 1/8th MOA adjustment ( but it is a big scope)
    Regards
    John
    hold me back !!

Brilliant John !
    I'll look into it !

Many Thanks,

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Iv'e just started using the Sightron SII 36x42 BRD for indoor Benchrest it's proving to be a good scope for the discipline ,with a very fine target dot reticule and clear.
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    The Optimate range of scopes include both fixed power 36x and 24x scopes with suitable reticles and also zoom scopes that go up to 32x power. These have 1/8th MOA adjustments
    Their fixed power scopes have the better optics
    I believe these scopes are the old suprceeded Nikko Stirling Targetmaster range before NK changed their Targetmaster scopes to 30 mm tubes with manufacture now in China

Bushnell have a nice zoom scope that is in their Elite range and has a 24 max magnification. It was available with both mildot and fine target reticle

Bausch and Lombe who were taken over by Bushnell made a few nice scopes with fine reticle and 1/8 MOA adjustment if you can pick one up

Weaver do several suitable scopes for BR
    Sightron make excellent scopes designed for target shooting

Also the fixed 35x Falcon is available with both 1/4and 1/8th MOA adjustment ( but it is a big scope)
    Regards
    John
    I own two Bushnell Elites at present which I like.
    Baush and Lombe were quality also but I'm unfamiliar with Optimate and Falcon so I'll need to research those !

Cheers,

John.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Iv'e just started using the Sightron SII 36x42 BRD for indoor Benchrest it's proving to be a good scope for the discipline ,with a very fine target dot reticule and clear.
    Hi Gordon, what sort of price are we looking at here ?

Thanks.
    “An airgun or two”………

Hi at my club we shoot the Yorkshire County BR cards at 25yds and the Leeds And District at 25yds on the same Yorkshire card.
    My scope is a Hawk 9-32 but i usually have it set at 16 x.
    I have a AAS400, and started of with a Nikko 3-9 x 42.
    For springer bench rest i use a 4-12 x 40 Nikko Mountmaster!
    Our rules are .front rest only,butt in the shoulder and the non shooting hand is used the support the underside of the stock,no rear bags or support and stock not to make contact with the bench top.
    The Hawk i have is no longer available,but there are a variety of different scopes in use by other shooters ranging from 3-9 x 40 up to 9-60.
    As the style of shooting we do there is always a left to right movement of the cross hair from the pulse in your hand or shoulder, so a nice fine cross hair and a magnification you can manage! that's why most use a mag of 14 - 20. to high a mag and you will never pull the trigger!
    Cost is what can you afford!

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Hi Gordon, what sort of price are we looking at here ?

Thanks.
    Sorry for the late reply, I got mine from here..http://www.aimfieldsports.com/benchrest-scopes-24-c.asp

Regards Gordon.
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, I got mine from here..http://www.aimfieldsports.com/benchrest-scopes-24-c.asp

Regards Gordon.
    Looks just the job, thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………