Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 meter Air Rifles at Rossendale Model Target Club - Thursday Nights!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Bob

I did suggest to my wife we did a trip to support you, she still has her first rifle ( Walther LGV junior) which she shot at the Narpa championships at Cosford in 1972, and her last (Walther LGR Junior) when she was shooting seriously at Internationals in the '80's, and her current new Walther LG400 special, and could shoot all for fun, only missing is her special Original 75, and we are still searching for that.

The idea of a 400 mile round trip did not go down well though! Perhaps with all the talent stepping forward, you could organise a rifle and music festival!

Just need to add in some beer and its starting to sound like my perfect week end!

Have fun,

Robin
    I think we can arrange for some good beer without too much trouble and if IJ brings his banjo we have got everything "sorted"
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Might be time to carry out an audit in my Manchester depot, If I do a Thursday I can get a hotel and dinner on the company and a night's shooting, and to top it all they'll call it work and pay me to go 😂😂
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I've even looked up hotels in the area!

Just need to get visa's organised, the wife speaks the language as she was born in Bolton (although she did go to a public school in the south to learn proper English!).

Rossendale Rifle, Music, and Beer Festival? Has a nice ring to it!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

We now have a pair of Feinwerkbau P70 alloy stocked match rifles in the club - one blue and one red - deadly accurate and with lots of character (for a PCP) to accompany the more established classic rifles.

Unfortunately we have noticed that they do not put the holes in the target for you - that bit remains under the control of the shooter - so no real progress there then

I've even looked up hotels in the area!

Just need to get visa's organised, the wife speaks the language as she was born in Bolton (although she did go to a public school in the south to learn proper English!).

Rossendale Rifle, Music, and Beer Festival? Has a nice ring to it!

I have only been up t'North 30 years so I don't know much about the area just yet - but you think you have found an Hotel up here - close to our little club?

Maybe you saw a posh pidgeon loft on Googlee Turf and got confused - we've got plenty of them up here - you may like to get on 'tinternet and check again !

IF . . . you manage t'get visa, having Pam to translate for you could come in handy but I think everyone up her already speaks "proper" - like wot I do - so she may not be too busy
    Last edited by zooma; 18-02-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Sykeside Country House? Is that an upmarket pidgeon loft?

If this latest lead on the Original 75 comes good, its three quarters of the way to Rossendale, so with a bit of luck, perhaps? I'm not getting my hopes up though!

Be carefull, P70's thats getting dangerously close to 21 st century! You'll be getting target changers next, although with us old folks it does save walking!
    Have fun,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Sykeside Country House? Is that an upmarket pidgeon loft?

If this latest lead on the Original 75 comes good, its three quarters of the way to Rossendale, so with a bit of luck, perhaps? I'm not getting my hopes up though!

Be carefull, P70's thats getting dangerously close to 21 st century! You'll be getting target changers next, although with us old folks it does save walking!
    Have fun,
    Robin
    The Sykeside Country House is a nice posh pigeon loft (and it is very close to the club) that was previously owned by a Coronation Street star. My good friend from Malaysia (Au Chee Hung) used to love staying there and compared it to Fawlty Towers - a comedy series that he loved. The comparison I think was based on the shape of the house and not the attitude of the owner!

It could be a double bonus if you find your long lost Model 75 and come up to collect it as I may get to know how to hold my match rifle correctly and no doubt pick up a few more good tips as well! Seeing Pam in action in our humble range would be great and no doubt inspire us to keep working with these long "shooty things" we have recently taken a shine to - but you would need to make sure everything ( including yourselves) is damp proof

The P70's are a bit "modern" for our club but target changers are looking unlikely for us 'old-uns as we need the exercise to keep the joints moving and appreciate the traditional target shooting range disciplines that have to be observed when shooting this way. The enforced rest break between target changing is also a bonus in many ways as it helps to focus the mind (if it wasn't for the banter) and that could be a bonus ( if it wasn't for the banter)!

Having said that I am aware of a really good "home made" budget target changing design that is currently undergoing testing at a club "down south" and it would be something that we could make ourselves at minimal cost - an important point when you have a small club with a low income !

Rossendale

Thanks Bob

The lead is a long shot, its just some one who was young around the time it was sold, and may have been in the club, I'm not hopeful, but I do fancy a visit "oop North" if I can find an excuse and convince "some one else".

Target changers transform a club (for the better!), they give so much more range time (more time for banter!), and make it safer as no one is ever forward. The ones from our ingenious friend were fitted in spite of some opposition, but then were greeted with"why did'nt we do this before, they are great!"

You do need sole use of the "range" to fit the home made types, which I believe you have. Do you leave the range set up or do you have to put out tables each time you shoot?
    I think the old hand wound ones are great, sadly now not available, but I think we have at least one at our club stashed away some where.

Have Fun,
    Robin

Thanks Bob

Target changers transform a club (for the better!), they give so much more range time (more time for banter!), and make it safer as no one is ever forward. The ones from our ingenious friend were fitted in spite of some opposition, but then were greeted with"why did'nt we do this before, they are great!"

You do need sole use of the "range" to fit the home made types, which I believe you have. Do you leave the range set up or do you have to put out tables each time you shoot?
    I think the old hand wound ones are great, sadly now not available, but I think we have at least one at our club stashed away some where.

Have Fun,
    Robin
    We have no target changers in our club - it would be good to get hold of one of the old hand winder types to see if we could make something similar but the "home made" one I am aware of looks very promising.

We have a permanent shooting bench and butts so nothing has to be got out or put away before or after each shooting session, but the overhead type of system has some merit as it would still allow access to an "underground store" ( the crypt ) that has its small entrance half way down the range and although seldom visited it is still used sometimes.

To convince the "other half" to come on a Tuesday and not leave until the Friday (thus covering both shooting nights Tuesday and Thursday ) it may be worth mentioning that the lakes are less than a hour away and the Yorkshire Dales are even closer and the beaches around Formby are almost deserted and are a lovely place to be as is Victorian Southport - just over an hour away also !

York is about an hour and a quarter away, and the family home in Bolton (and Fred Dibnah) are also very close as well!

Let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    We now have a pair of Feinwerkbau P70 alloy stocked match rifles in the club - one blue and one red - deadly accurate and with lots of character (for a PCP) to accompany the more established classic rifles.

Unfortunately we have noticed that they do not put the holes in the target for you - that bit remains under the control of the shooter - so no real progress there then
    Since I wrote this Paul shot his blue P70 at the club for the first time and it would appear that the blue ones actually do put the holes in the target for you
    Last edited by zooma; 20-02-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Colour

Any Lady shooter will tell you that the colour of the rifle is far more important than any other technical inovation!

My wife has a new smallbore being built on order, I dealt with the technical aspect, she the colour, its going to be Purple!

Any Lady shooter will tell you that the colour of the rifle is far more important than any other technical inovation!

My wife has a new smallbore being built on order, I dealt with the technical aspect, she the colour, its going to be Purple!
    It's a well known fact that the purple ones always shoot the best

Anything that helps to give a "pride of ownership" can also give a mental boost and sense of "well-being" that can give the "edge" when in competition, and quite apart from that it is always nice to see something a little "different" on the range.

Disappointing as it may be - I believe that IJ may have started this trend some years ago with his purple painted Anschultz 250

It is nice to see Paul N at the club with his Model 75 back in good action again and with Craig visiting us as well the range did not seem quite so empty last night and it felt nice without being over-crowded.

It is also good for my poor and ageing memory to have more than one person with the same name(!) so if anyone else called Paul would like to come along and join us it would make life much easier for me to communicate apart from the fact that everyone would turn around at the same time when their name was called

The red P70 is now shooting as well as the blue P70 following some good advice from Robin C.

Removing the muzzle break and barrel weight and fitting a set of 15mm Alcraft riser blocks has reduced the weight at the front of the rifle to give a much better balance and a better heads-up position. The rifle also looks a little slimmer too - not a bad thing!

Some self adhesive tyre weights have been hidden (as far as possible) at the back of the stock and have helped to bring the weight towards the rear of the rifle still further on what was previously quite a "front heavy" rifle.

The trigger has had some time spent on it and it is now very crisp and positive and further testing with "dialling-out" the first stage has also brought a much faster response time that has also helped secure the black bit a little more often as well.

All of our rifle shooting improvements have been self taught to date but the expert "mail order" guidance from Robin C. has given us some well informed advice that has helped us quite a lot and has been very much appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words Bob!

I do hope Pauls Original 75 has been "frisked" to make sure its not Pam's old one!

Robin

Thanks for the kind words Bob!

I do hope Pauls Original 75 has been "frisked" to make sure its not Pam's old one!

Robin

Credit where it is due Robin, you have given us lots of good advice and it has been very much appreciated.

Paul has had his Model 75 for some time and sadly it is not the shortened "special" that you are looking for - but I am keeping my eyes open for you and if it is ever seen we will let you know straight away.

It will be great when Pam's Special Model 75 does gets re-discovered so you would finally get to know where it ended up but at the moment it remains a mystery that we would all like to help you solve.

With so many pairs of eyes trying to find it for you it must come to the surface one day.