Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desperate shortage of Sierra Match Kings in .308cal

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Tac if you are buying for the K31 have you tried the PPU 174 grn? available from Kranks at a helluva lot less than SMK's, and unless you are Bench resting the Swiss Miss I would be impressed if you can see the difference.
    Yups, I have used Mr Krank's PPU bullets on a number of occasions, and I agree that while they are pretty good value for money, I've found a lot of variation in the individual weight - between three and five grains either side - and in spite of old age and general infirmity I DO like to do my best when behind the trigger. I shoot my Swiss guns with a diopter set and another with a x4 scope - the last one is a 300m match rifle in .308Win and likes Lapua Scenars.

Thanks for all the help, BTW, even that sent from Mr Bohannon, who is patently Irish, rather than Iranian of any kind, which gave me a slight hint of incipient chuckle.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Your googlefu is very very weak
    Indeed it is, indeed it is..... oooh, look! http://www.hartleburyshooting.co.uk/HBC-Dyer-Heads.html

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Yups, I have used Mr Krank's PPU bullets on a number of occasions, and I agree that while they are pretty good value for money, I've found a lot of variation in the individual weight - between three and five grains either side - and in spite of old age and general infirmity I DO like to do my best when behind the trigger. I shoot my Swiss guns with a diopter set and another with a x4 scope - the last one is a 300m match rifle in .308Win and likes Lapua Scenars.

Thanks for all the help, BTW, even that sent from Mr Bohannon, who is patently Irish, rather than Iranian of any kind, which gave me a slight hint of incipient chuckle.

tac
    I have seen Kenny hitting the bull (with a fair amount of consistency) at 900 yards with the irons on his swiss, don't know if he was using the PPU offerings but it was seriously impressive! Thinking about it i think he should switch to that rifle when we're lamping off my truck rather than his semi 0.22, he'd save a lot of rounds!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Indeed it is, indeed it is..... oooh, look! http://www.hartleburyshooting.co.uk/HBC-Dyer-Heads.html
    Very interesting.

A question to the folk that are using them, being an 'aggressive secant ogive' are they a overly sensitive to jump and therefore a PITA to load?
    Thanks for looking

Scott I know Chris and myself have found the HBC to prefer being fairly well back from the lands. When I started loading them I thought being an aggressive secant they'd need to be close to or kissing the lands. Like that I couldn't get em under an inch. When I came back to 20 thou and more they shrunk right down.

Lord knows how far back they are in the new armalon I can't be arsed measuring. I simply took my dta load 46.3 grains of Wildbore and wound the seating die in till the completed round fitted in the mag. Only fired 10 of these this far but they look to be bloody accurate! And they must be a country mile from the lands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    I have seen Kenny hitting the bull (with a fair amount of consistency) at 900 yards with the irons on his swiss, don't know if he was using the PPU offerings but it was seriously impressive! Thinking about it i think he should switch to that rifle when we're lamping off my truck rather than his semi 0.22, he'd save a lot of rounds!
    ouch!
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    ouch!
    Sorry mate, couldn't resist we may be able to get out next week with some new grippy wheels, provided I get enough loading done for the 21st.
    Thanks for looking

Scott I know Chris and myself have found the HBC to prefer being fairly well back from the lands. When I started loading them I thought being an aggressive secant they'd need to be close to or kissing the lands. Like that I couldn't get em under an inch. When I came back to 20 thou and more they shrunk right down.

Lord knows how far back they are in the new armalon I can't be arsed measuring. I simply took my dta load 46.3 grains of Wildbore and wound the seating die in till the completed round fitted in the mag. Only fired 10 of these this far but they look to be bloody accurate! And they must be a country mile from the lands!!!
    Thanks Danny, my SMK load is 40 thou off and 168 30 though so they may need a jump. If you bring a few for me to try that would be great, do you want to swap for some 69gr TMKs to try in your AR?

I want a go on your new toy too!
    Thanks for looking

With the Optimus I'd start -20 tho and keep coming back from there. Yeah some TMK's would be God to try mate! You'll like the new gat I think mate. Got to say I like the simplicity of it

With the Optimus I'd start -20 tho and keep coming back from there. Yeah some TMK's would be God to try mate! You'll like the new gat I think mate. Got to say I like the simplicity of it
    A bit like me and my hellishly expensive .308 then!!
    Thanks for looking

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Dan, mine are pretty well loaded as factory COAL for 7.62x51, deep seated mate, but the M67 does like that as it was chambered for 7.62x51 RG. They also worked forward but I think it shows that they are not jump sensitive.

They were shooting well for an oldie, the only real excursions out of the 5 ring on sunday were left for obvious reasons, which for a cold day from a sling was not bad.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know