I have to report the loss this week of one of the north west of England's stalwart HFT shooter/organisers.

Ray was a highly committed shooter who was well known for his strong views on many of the issues relating to our sport and shooting in general. This brought him into disagreement with other shooters having different views to his own, with many of us within the Rivington club and others receiving stern words on the odd occasion we disagreed. However, the fact that Ray felt so passionate about his own convictions always lead to a feeling of respect for a man who freely gave his time to organise so many outdoor shooting events within our own region.

Ray was one of those blokes that would do anything he could to help out, and was particularly good at talking to youngsters taking up shooting, or the odd radio journalist checking out local air rifle clubs that left our own place near enough wanting to purchase their own gun after enjoying themselves that much knocking over a few targets.

To say that Ray will be missed by those of us that knew him well would be a gross understatement. I honestly cannot believe that I will never again see him either at our clubs indoor range or outdoor Turton ranges.

Ray leaves children and grandchildren who will of course be shocked at his sudden passing following what we hoped was a very recent uplift in his health.