Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify a BSA

Identify a BSA

I was shown an oldish BSA today by someone I know (that deals in just anything an everything) and I'm not knowledgeable enough to put a model name to.
    It has a carbine barrel that looks factory and looks like a Mercury, having the Mercury / Airsporter style trigger block, the (break) barrel has the normal marking along the top surface but the cylinder has no model stamped on it and can't see anything anywhere else.
    ideas?
    Sorry no pics as it's not mine.
    Steve

Pics or a serial would help!

It sounds like it is either:

- a Mercury that someone has chopped;

or

- a quite rare Mercury Challenger carbine. Which would have a Mixgrip (raised) scope rail, and, if they are still present, alloy sights.

635 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I was shown an oldish BSA today by someone I know (that deals in just anything an everything) and I'm not knowledgeable enough to put a model name to.
    It has a carbine barrel that looks factory and looks like a Mercury, having the Mercury / Airsporter style trigger block, the (break) barrel has the normal marking along the top surface but the cylinder has no model stamped on it and can't see anything anywhere else.
    ideas?
    Sorry no pics as it's not mine.
    Steve
    Could it be a 635 magnum as i think they are referred to? ive seen one or two and from memory they are short barrelled and ones ive seen had no markings on the air cylinder....i think???
    Ric

Thanks for the above ideas guys,
    I couldn't photo as the dealer showing it to me is a bit crafty and if I show a lot of interest he'll want a silly price that'll make it beyond considering, he's odd like that, doing a deal with him is like playing poker. I was shown it in passing so no price mentioned as I was there to buy something else not gun related.

I thought magnum was pistol? I should have said this is a rifle when I mentioned how it looks like a short Mercury. The barrel end looks proper not cut down as the colour is constant with no bright steel showing, the end has a nice correct looking profile and there is a correctly positioned threads for a foresight but missing (as is the rear) as there is a scope on the rails but I can see no markings under the scope.
    Last edited by stevegv8; 30-01-2016 at 05:58 AM. Reason: detail

I couldn't photo as the dealer showing it to me is a bit crafty and if I show a lot of interest he'll want a silly price that'll make it beyond considering, he's odd like that, doing a deal with him is like playing poker. I was shown it in passing so no price mentioned as I was there to buy something else not gun related.

I thought magnum was pistol? I should have said this is a rifle when I mentioned how it looks like a short Mercury. The barrel end looks proper not cut down as the colour is constant with no bright steel showing, the end has a nice correct looking profile and there is a correctly positioned threads for a foresight but missing (as is the rear) as there is a scope on the rails but I can see no markings under the scope.

What calibre is it?If it's .25 then it is as suggested above a 635 Magnum if in .177 or .22 then,maybe a Challenger.....

635 magnum

The 635 magum as i thought it was called is a rifle, not a pistol. From your description, you have not mentioned the maxi-grip scope rail, in place of where you seemingly know the legend should be, so that said the most likely explanation is the 635. A lot of metal would have to be removed to completely remove the BSA MERCURY writing from atop the air cylinder since its quite deep usually. So other than the aforementioned 635 the other option is, as has been said is a challenger carbine which would have the maxi-grip scope rail still fitted since you say it has a scope on it. Had it got this scope rail fitted and had you mentioned it it would have narrowed it down a fair bit.
    Now thinking back there is also one called a Cobra which had no writing on top of the air cylinder but i think it had a full length barrel and fancy artwork on the stock.

see here for 635 magnum.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....35-magnum-sale

Eric

[QUOTE=shabee;6902872]The 635 magum as i thought it was called is a rifle, not a pistol. From your description, you have not mentioned the maxi-grip scope rail, in place of where you seemingly know the legend should be, so that said the most likely explanation is the 635. A lot of metal would have to be removed to completely remove the BSA MERCURY writing from atop the air cylinder since its quite deep usually. So other than the aforementioned 635 the other option is, as has been said is a challenger carbine which would have the maxi-grip scope rail still fitted since you say it has a scope on it. Had it got this scope rail fitted and had you mentioned it it would have narrowed it down a fair bit.
    Now thinking back there is also one called a Cobra which had no writing on top of the air cylinder but i think it had a full length barrel and fancy artwork on the stock.

A quick google image of BSA Magnum showed up pistol pictures so this threw me, but maybe getting close now as you have reminded me of an important detail that I forgot and that is that it's .25
    It was a fairly quickish glance that I had though so I registered as much info as I could with only a quick look.
    I'll see it again before too long if there are any other clues I should look for, and is it a worthy gun or of little interest? If he offers a sensible price I'll have it regardless.

635 Magnum's are a scarce variation of the by and large very good Mercury design and definitely worth getting if the price is right.Check it cocks and de-cocks smoothly as the buffer washer between the piston and piston head that holds the O ring often deteriorates over time and can gum up the works!

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 30-01-2016 at 03:03 PM.

google is good

Googling bsa magnum may well show pictures of a pistol because they also made a pistol called a 240 magnum if i remember correctly, but if you google 635 magnum it should show the rifle or just look at the thread i put in the last email.
    Incidentally 635 just happens to be the metric equivalent of .25 caliber ; 6.35mm = .25" or so they say.
    Google also cobra magnum or cobra strike magnum also made by bsa but sold by a third party i think, not sure.
    You ought to be getting close now lad.
    Eric

identify a bsa

if it's a 635 magnum it'll have 2 small threaded holes in between the scope dovetails, take a few .22 pellets with you when you try to buy it, try them in the bore & if they drop through it's a .25 magnum.Tell the dealer its obviously had the barrel bored out & without the open sights £50 is the most you can offer....

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    if it's a 635 magnum it'll have 2 small threaded holes in between the scope dovetails, take a few .22 pellets with you when you try to buy it, try them in the bore & if they drop through it's a .25 magnum.Tell the dealer its obviously had the barrel bored out & without the open sights £50 is the most you can offer....
    The guy isn't a gun dealer a such he buys and sells absolutely anything, I know what he paid for it and I know he likes a healthy profit so it won't come at £50 I'm afraid
    He hasn't offered it yet he is testing my desire for it and that's why it's like playing poker with him
    I'll sit it out and see how it goes.

Update

I will get to see this again tomorrow at last, he has now said it's for sale at £110. Going to check it over and bid upto £90 max as I know there are no open sights with it. It will include a scope but not expecting that to be anything special, have to see what tomorrow brings.
    One extra question though, what age would these models be? I'd say '90's if I had to guess.
    Last edited by stevegv8; 13-02-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Detail

I will get to see this again tomorrow at last, he has now said it's for sale at £110. Going to check it over and bid upto £90 max as I know there are no open sights with it. It will include a scope but not expecting that to be anything special, have to see what tomorrow brings.
    One extra question though, what age would these models be? I'd say '90's if I had to guess.
    That's a decent price, unless it's in really poor shape.

Late 80s. Something like 1985-88.

I changed the buffer washer in a mates 635, it just had ordinary scope grooves milled into the compression tube, not the Maxigrip rail,
    He'd gone off the the Royal Marines for a few years & left it in a cupboard. When he came back it wouldn't cock, he was going to throw it out but I piped up & said I could fix it, rather than 'I'll give you a fiver because it's got a good stock'.
    He got it to shoot rats in his garden, when I saw the size of the pellets I had to feel a bit sorry for them.

Bsa

I finally got the 635 Magnum from the seller after a lengthy farce so he could get the best price from me. What a ritual we always have to go through!
    Serial is below 1400 so assume mid 80's as Knibbs says they were 85-87.
    Not done pics before not not sure they will work.