Thread: .357Mag with 144gr and 175gr bullets

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...

.357Mag with 144gr and 175gr bullets

I've got several hundred each of these hardcast lead truncated cone bullets, and I'm not finding it easy to find load data for them.
    I would be using them in a Marlin carbine for target-shooting to 100yds, and I've got Titegroup and Unique powders on hand.

Does anyone have any experience of these bullet-weights, or any other useful thoughts on the subject?
    Thanks.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I've got several hundred each of these hardcast lead truncated cone bullets, and I'm not finding it easy to find load data for them.
    I would be using them in a Marlin carbine for target-shooting to 100yds, and I've got Titegroup and Unique powders on hand.

Does anyone have any experience of these bullet-weights, or any other useful thoughts on the subject?
    Thanks.
    I'll be honest and say that those two bullets weights are ones that I've never encountered in any .357 Magnum cartridge- the usual being 158gr. Nor can I find any reloading data for them.

The nearest comes from the Lyman manual 49th Ed.

150gr

BULLSEYE - 4.5 - 7.0
    HERCO - 6.2 - 7.8
    BLUE DOT - 8.2 - 10.8
    2400 - 11.0 - 15
    H110 - 16.3 - 17.0
    IMR4227 - 11.8 - 16

175gr

BULLSEYE - 4.1 - 6.1
    HERCO - 5.6 - 7.1
    BLUE DOT - 8.3 - 10.0
    2400 - 9.7 - 13.5
    H110 - 14.4 - 15.0
    IMR4227 - 9.8 - 14.5

Usual provisos apply to reloading of figures provided by somebody else. There ARE other propellants that are not so easy to find, like N110. I have no experience of reloading Titegroup, except to point out that it is VERY sensitive to loading in small amounts, with unpredictable velocities resulting from even the most minute changes of amounts. Unique is what I use with 158gr TC, but only 6.5gr, and in my RSR LBR.

tac

Thanks - they are unusual bullet-weights, which is why I think the data are sparse.
    Like you, I usually use 158gr TC bullets with Unique - in my case 5.8gr gives good results.

I'm not very experienced at lead-bullet reloading: am I right in thinking that one should not simply to use data for jacketed bullets?

We shall see whether anyone else has any additional thoughts!
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Thanks - they are unusual bullet-weights, which is why I think the data are sparse.
    Like you, I usually use 158gr TC bullets with Unique - in my case 5.8gr gives good results.

I'm not very experienced at lead-bullet reloading: am I right in thinking that one should not simply to use data for jacketed bullets?

We shall see whether anyone else has any additional thoughts!
    You are right in your thoughts. In general, jacketed bullets can be shot faster than even the hardest lead bullets, even though they be might fitted with gas checks. This is common practice for shooting lead HC bullets from rifles and carbines. Try shooting lead at 1800-1900 fps and they are likely to strip in the rifling. Remember that the days of shooting lead bullets from long arms was initially helped along by having comparatively deep rifling grooves to grip the comparatively soft lead bullet and give it spin.

If your Marlin is one of the Micro-groove barrel variety you might just find that it shoots like a lawn-sprinkler with fast-flying nekkid lead.

tac

For the 144s just use 158gn lead data.

The 175s may prove a little different all depending on the actual length of the bullet shank. .357 Marlins have a 1 in 16" twist and some won't stabilise the longer, heavier bullet. I have used 180gn in mine. The jacketed with no issues, but the lead weren't that good.

For the data, look at 180gn lead bullet. For a nice gallery load in terms of recoil and blast, look to .38spl +P data. There's loads (pardon the pun) out there!

Unique would be okay for the 175 grainers, I'd be tempted to get some Vhit N320 for those lighter bullets.

you could try the marlinowners.com.it is an american site and there should be someone on there who could help

Thanks, chaps - most helpful!

OK - so I was about to make up a series of loads with the 144gr cast bullets. Although they look good and uiniformly-cast, and have lube in the appropriate groove, they're not in the maker's original box: so to be on the safe side I weighed them, fine at 144.5gr or so; and mic'd them - less fine, at 0.360".

Now I'm really not sure what to do. That is bigger than the 0.358" I'm used to: will they work?

Any thoughts on this?

Dalua

Yeah, they'll be fine. John Lee touched on this very subject when bullets are dropped too big from the mould. He tested and opined that if bullets were three thou over, why bother resizing through a did that excerpts 40psi or so, why not "rob" that 40psi from the 15000 or so from the firing sequence and use the barrel to "size" the bullets. As bullet fit is a lot more crucial than is given credit for, with cast bullets, you may find that they perform very well. A better fitting bullet reduces the leading also. I have a mould that drops .44 bullets 2 thou over, I don't size them.

One thing you may have to give extra thought to , will be the flaring of the case mouth before seating. Make sure there's enough, likewise, if you've previously used a fairly firm crimp you might need to back that off to avoid "hour glassing" the top of the round.

In short, reset your dies according to these bullets. When set, make yourself five up without primers or powder and run them through your rifle to ensure they also cycle and chamber.