Thread: difference between old and new 80,s?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

difference between old and new 80,s?

Are there any? I know there was a change over between 25+26mm cylinders 1990,ish with 77+97,s .
    But are there any physical differences between old and new eighties?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Not really, just a different cocking shoe. Silly, childish scribblings on the cylinder of the newer ones spoil them though.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nothing material... diff stock, different method of securing barrel in block, welded front stock screw mount points, but nothing that affects how it shoots. I do much prefer the "in the groove" (modern) cocking shoe though..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hmmm, so really it's just the horrible scribble on them, so for my dastardly plan, I needn't hold out for a mk1???
    But could I live with myself?

Maybe what I should have asked in that case is when did the horrible scribble on the cylinder start?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Some of the older 80s had the serial number stamped on the barrel itself.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    But are there any physical differences between old and new eighties?
    Only a dirt collecting star breech/ a cast metal screw on barrel align lug with all in one stock screw threads all held by one screw and a piece of wire pressing on the cocking link to stop it from rattling/ no more piston sleeve as the old pressed steel cocking shoe has been replaced by a cast metal shoe that is now held in place by the cocking slot/ they now don't hone the cylinder/ different stock/ and writing on the end block, apart from that not much else

Hw80

Mk1 is still the original and best, like a FWB Sport on steroids, which is pretty much what it was! Paid £72.50 for mine in 1982 and still have it!

Old - better polishing and blueing, poorer tolerances, sometimes trigger blocks almost wobbly !

Newer - poorer polishing and blueing, poorly finished springs, now sorted I hear, better cnc machine made tolerances

Best to have at least three 80s, something old, something new, and at least one in 20 cal
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    at least one in 20 cal
    Is your .20 the old type barrel? I would like one of them to add to my old type .177 and .22 old west German barrelled 80 I'm not over keen to buy a new star breech barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Is your .20 the old type barrel? I would like one of them to add to my old type .177 and .22 old west German barrelled 80 I'm not over keen to buy a new star breech barrel.
    Out of four 20 cal barrels, old style K x20, star k x 1, star ks x1, all shoot spot on
    Only problem I've had was with a star ks in 22, that wouldn't group tightly. I have heard of some issues on 22 and 20 hw barrels, and certainly wouldn't sell any I have, that I know are spot on. In fairness this only applies if you pellet match, out to full distance like an anorak ! For what many people do with springers, especially unfettled ones, they aren't going to notice. HW are like Diana, they never have 'problems' with anything, but, magically the non existent problem stops after enough people pipe up about the 'imaginary' problem .
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34