Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: difference between old and new 80,s?

difference between old and new 80,s?

Are there any? I know there was a change over between 25+26mm cylinders 1990,ish with 77+97,s .
    But are there any physical differences between old and new eighties?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Not really, just a different cocking shoe. Silly, childish scribblings on the cylinder of the newer ones spoil them though.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nothing material... diff stock, different method of securing barrel in block, welded front stock screw mount points, but nothing that affects how it shoots. I do much prefer the "in the groove" (modern) cocking shoe though..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hmmm, so really it's just the horrible scribble on them, so for my dastardly plan, I needn't hold out for a mk1???
    But could I live with myself?

Maybe what I should have asked in that case is when did the horrible scribble on the cylinder start?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Some of the older 80s had the serial number stamped on the barrel itself.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The old slabby stock design is the best, angular like the BMW 635i of the time.

If you want a proper cool rarity in the HW80 department, try to track down one of the Beeman R1 versions that Manchester Air Guns sold.

To me the metal just don't seem to feel or look like it used to, But then that could be said about all guns of today.

There was a time when it was said Weihrauch used ordnance steel.

Who's brave enough to ask them what they use now.
    Hw77+7

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    There was a time when it was said Weihrauch used ordnance steel.

Who's brave enough to ask them what they use now.
    What is that, old cannons made by Krupp?

I doubt the Germans after WW2 would have left any gun metal to rust, artillery ordnance would have been melted down and put to other use's and its a fair bet it went in to air gun production.
    Hw77+7

Well I've wanted an '80 for at least a week, then by chance I was offered this early one (aka MK1).

It's a Hull Cartridge UK import. Serial # underside of barrel dates it to 1982/83.

Does anybody know what the original R1 stock looks like?

"Ironically, delays in the production of the R1 stock, which required larger stock blanks than the shorter, rather Germanic HW 80 stock design of that time, resulted in the HW 80 being introduced a little before the U.S. debut of the Beeman R1 in late 1981. In any case, just as the Beeman P1 pistol was not developed from the HW45, the Beeman R1 rifle definitely was not developed from the HW 80. Both rifles were developed from our concept of the R1." - Robert D. Beeman Ph.D.
    From here:
    http://www.beemans.net/odyssey_of_the_beeman_r1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well I've wanted an '80 for at least a week, then by chance I was offered this early one (aka MK1).

It's a Hull Cartridge UK import. Serial # underside of barrel dates it to 1982/83.

"Ironically, delays in the production of the R1 stock, which required larger stock blanks than the shorter, rather Germanic HW 80 stock design of that time, resulted in the HW 80 being introduced a little before the U.S. debut of the Beeman R1 in late 1981. In any case, just as the Beeman P1 pistol was not developed from the HW45, the Beeman R1 rifle definitely was not developed from the HW 80. Both rifles were developed from our concept of the R1." - Robert D. Beeman Ph.D.
    From here:
    Looks like it has been well looked after
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post

From here:

You bought a .22 HW80?!?!

You do make oi larfffff!

It kinda reminds me of Dave and his HW95 obsession. He knows they are no good for him, but he can't help buying one every month just in case its changed. He even bought an ugly stick this month! I see its in the swaps section though. Guess what he wants to swap for? Go on, guess!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    that's nice.. need a half decent stock for mine too...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.