Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: difference between old and new 80,s?

Think mine like that cost me £67 back in 82/83 when I was 15, after 6 months I dropped it oiling it an broke the stock, they gave me the new rounded version when I cam back. Wish I still had one, maybe I should treat myself

Hw80

NICE example. The R1 stock is like a MK1 HW77 stock. Mach 1.5

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    But are there any physical differences between old and new eighties?
    Only a dirt collecting star breech/ a cast metal screw on barrel align lug with all in one stock screw threads all held by one screw and a piece of wire pressing on the cocking link to stop it from rattling/ no more piston sleeve as the old pressed steel cocking shoe has been replaced by a cast metal shoe that is now held in place by the cocking slot/ they now don't hone the cylinder/ different stock/ and writing on the end block, apart from that not much else

Hw80

Mk1 is still the original and best, like a FWB Sport on steroids, which is pretty much what it was! Paid £72.50 for mine in 1982 and still have it!

Old - better polishing and blueing, poorer tolerances, sometimes trigger blocks almost wobbly !

Newer - poorer polishing and blueing, poorly finished springs, now sorted I hear, better cnc machine made tolerances

Best to have at least three 80s, something old, something new, and at least one in 20 cal
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    at least one in 20 cal
    Is your .20 the old type barrel? I would like one of them to add to my old type .177 and .22 old west German barrelled 80 I'm not over keen to buy a new star breech barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Is your .20 the old type barrel? I would like one of them to add to my old type .177 and .22 old west German barrelled 80 I'm not over keen to buy a new star breech barrel.
    Out of four 20 cal barrels, old style K x20, star k x 1, star ks x1, all shoot spot on
    Only problem I've had was with a star ks in 22, that wouldn't group tightly. I have heard of some issues on 22 and 20 hw barrels, and certainly wouldn't sell any I have, that I know are spot on. In fairness this only applies if you pellet match, out to full distance like an anorak ! For what many people do with springers, especially unfettled ones, they aren't going to notice. HW are like Diana, they never have 'problems' with anything, but, magically the non existent problem stops after enough people pipe up about the 'imaginary' problem .
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    You bought a .22 HW80?!?!

You do make oi larfffff!
    Yeah, but I couldn't exactly say "Nice, but have you got one in .177 instead?".

Well, I did say that actually, and he said "No".

So I figured I could get a .177 barrel for it, or, try to sell it to Jamie!

Jamie - I'm not sure when the 'warnings' on the trigger block started, but it was definately happening on HW80s by serial # 1515***, which was around about the year 2000.

It kinda reminds me of Dave and his HW95 obsession. He knows they are no good for him, but he can't help buying one every month just in case its changed. He even bought an ugly stick this month! I see its in the swaps section though. Guess what he wants to swap for? Go on, guess!
    It better not be an effing '95!? He's one step from my iggy list as it is!

Yep bring it to the bash, I will have cash in my pocket
    You know you're never going to be happy with it, a .177 is out there somewhere waiting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

It kinda reminds me of Dave and his HW95 obsession. He knows they are no good for him, but he can't help buying one every month just in case its changed. He even bought an ugly stick this month! I see its in the swaps section though. Guess what he wants to swap for? Go on, guess!
    So, he gave the lovely 35 a fair chance, then??

Dave, wot you doin', man??

Give that 35 a fair chance, USE the damned thing, will ya? Spend some quality time with it and let it show you what it can do.

And if you have to have another 95, just get one as well!!

Phil.....lovely example, matey.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    To me the metal just don't seem to feel or look like it used to, But then that could be said about all guns of today.
    Probably Chinese metal!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, he gave the lovely 35 a fair chance, then??

Dave, wot you doin', man??

Give that 35 a fair chance, USE the damned thing, will ya? Spend some quality time with it and let it show you what it can do.

And if you have to have another 95, just get one as well!!
    You tell him, Tone.

Phil.....lovely example, matey.
    Cheers Tone. I found a few .22 wadcutters, and took the '80 to my personal indoor range (aka the living room). Loosed off these three shots from a standing start. That's as good as I'd do with a match rifle.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well I've wanted an '80 for at least a week, then by chance I was offered this early one (aka MK1).

It's a Hull Cartridge UK import. Serial # underside of barrel dates it to 1982/83.

[/url]
    Cor, what a beautiful HW80! buy it! buy it! buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well I've wanted an '80 for at least a week, then by chance I was offered this early one (aka MK1).

It's a Hull Cartridge UK import. Serial # underside of barrel dates it to 1982/83.

Does anybody know what the original R1 stock looks like?

"Ironically, delays in the production of the R1 stock, which required larger stock blanks than the shorter, rather Germanic HW 80 stock design of that time, resulted in the HW 80 being introduced a little before the U.S. debut of the Beeman R1 in late 1981. In any case, just as the Beeman P1 pistol was not developed from the HW45, the Beeman R1 rifle definitely was not developed from the HW 80. Both rifles were developed from our concept of the R1." - Robert D. Beeman Ph.D.
    From here:
    http://www.beemans.net/odyssey_of_the_beeman_r1.htm
    Just wondering why does it not say (West) Germany on the barrel if it is a early model ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Cor, what a beautiful HW80! buy it! buy it! buy it!
    I did I did!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just wondering why does it not say (West) Germany on the barrel if it is a early model ?
    Hi Barry, I'll tell ya this - I was once roundly told off for "not knowing my Weihrauchs" when I asked that very question about a particular '35.

I was told Weihrauch never have 'W. Germany' markings. And that I must have been thinking about Dianas...

It turned out that (from my own HWs), strangely, pre-re-unification (pre-1990) HW35s and HW80s don't have the 'W'.

But HW77s definately bloody well do, because I have one, see here.

Odd, isn't it?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 01-02-2016 at 12:41 AM.