Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: difference between old and new 80,s?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post

Cheers Tone. I found a few .22 wadcutters, and took the '80 to my personal indoor range (aka the living room). Loosed off these three shots from a standing start. That's as good as I'd do with a match rifle.
    Nice to have an indoor range at home, Phil.

Cuts down on the travelling time, it matters not if it's horizontal, gale assisted rain outdoors, and a warm cuppa's just a few paces away.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I did I did!!

Hi Barry, I'll tell ya this - I was once roundly told off for "not knowing my Weihrauchs" when I asked that very question about a particular '35.

I was told Weihrauch never have 'W. Germany' markings. And that I must have been thinking about Dianas...

It turned out that (from my own HWs), strangely, pre-re-unification (pre-1990) HW35s and HW80s don't have the 'W'.

But HW77s definately bloody well do, because I have one, see here.

Odd, isn't it?
    Can you see West in this pic? if not I can post a more clear pic later
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pszjo60krx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Can you see West in this pic? if not I can post a more clear pic later
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pszjo60krx.jpg
    Yep, I can make out the 'W'.

It's interesting that your example is a 'K' which of course was a later variant of the '80. Here's a thread about another '80K date:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....of-manufacture

And here's a pic I found of an earlier-looking '80 with the 'W' and a 'GB' stamp. An unusual one?:
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...wreblue002.jpg

Seems to suggest that HW weren't all that particular about stamping the 'W'. Model to model?

And it seems when they did get more into it, it was towards the mid 1980s, approaching reunification...?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 01-02-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hi Phil, wanna flog me a .177 80 barrel ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Hi Phil, wanna flog me a .177 80 barrel ?
    Hiya JB, If only I had one!

I might have to buy a new one from Germany

Actually, would a brand new barrel fit an old '80?

Same question with a new cocking arm? Is it now different for the new style cocking shoe?

edit: Oops, perhaps I shouldn't ask that, out in the open...
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 01-02-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Hiya JB, If only I had one!

I might have to buy a new one from Germany

Actually, would a brand new barrel fit an old '80?

Same question with a new cocking arm? Is it now different for the new style cocking shoe?

And from what I've been reading in old threads on here: It needs a reduced cylinder... and a 3.2mm TP...

... how would you fancy doing a full-on target tune on an old '80 Jon??

hehe, I've just sleaved my 80 down to 24mm and it's all working fine. yup 3.3/3.4mm port. Whilst the .20 cal is OK, but as I don't hunt anything these days, I'd rather swap it to .177 than having to buy ammo specifically for it... all my other stuff is .177

You can have a plink with it at the bash (in whatever calibre barrel it's wearing at the time).
    Cocking links look the same to me. Shoes are interchangeable (new is better IMHO). The barrels themselves seem perfectly interchangeable too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

hehe, I've just sleaved my 80 down to 24mm and it's all working fine. yup 3.3/3.4mm port. Whilst the .20 cal is OK, but as I don't hunt anything these days, I'd rather swap it to .177 than having to buy ammo specifically for it... all my other stuff is .177

You can have a plink with it at the bash (in whatever calibre barrel it's wearing at the time).
    Cocking links look the same to me. Shoes are interchangeable (new is better IMHO). The barrels themselves seem perfectly interchangeable too
    That sounds fab. I'd love to have a little go on it.

Yep, I can make out the 'W'.

It's interesting that your example is a 'K' which of course was a later variant of the '80. Here's a thread about another '80K date:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....of-manufacture

And here's a pic I found of an earlier-looking '80 with the 'W' and a 'GB' stamp. An unusual one?:
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...wreblue002.jpg

Seems to suggest that HW weren't all that particular about stamping the 'W'. Model to model?

And it seems when they did get more into it, it was towards the mid 1980s, approaching reunification...?
    Early '80s one here - got the 'GB' but no 'W'

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    NICE example. The R1 stock is like a MK1 HW77 stock. Mach 1.5
    Sorry Mach, I didn't notice this answer 'til now. Thanks for the info. I'll look out for that. Although I'm sure it's a rare thing over here.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Early '80s one here - got the 'GB' but no 'W'
    Interesting... I wonder if the 'GB' stamped ones came over via HC or EB or perhaps Norman May...? Any importer's stamp on yours Mike?

hehe, I've just sleeved my 80 down to 24mm [...]
    Hang on a minute, 24mm? What piston did you use for that then?

It all sounds so easy, but I'm sure it isn't.

And when you sleeve the cylinder from 30mm to 24mm, how the heck do you cock it??

(You don't need to answer any of that if it's secret).

Hang on a minute, 24mm? What piston did you use for that then?

It all sounds so easy, but I'm sure it isn't.

And when you sleeve the cylinder from 30mm to 24mm, how the heck do you cock it??

(You don't need to answer any of that if it's secret).
    I don't do this for a living, so no secrets here

This thread should explain things... except the stroke got shorter the other day: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....light=building

Interesting... I wonder if the 'GB' stamped ones came over via HC or EB or perhaps Norman May...? Any importer's stamp on yours Mike?
    No importer's stamps at all. Only other wording is "Weihrauch Mellrichstadt-Bay." on the opposite side of the breech block to the "HW80" stamp.

My 1983 ish (serial no 949236) 80 has made in w germany on it

I don't do this for a living, so no secrets here

This thread should explain things... except the stroke got shorter the other day: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....light=building
    That's cool JB.
    The LGV piston conversion idea sounds like it could be great for .177.
    So that'd be 25mm, which is what Venom did to the '80, yes?

I'm so on the verge of ordering a .177 K barrel from Germany...

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    No importer's stamps at all. Only other wording is "Weihrauch Mellrichstadt-Bay." on the opposite side of the breech block to the "HW80" stamp.
    Ah, mine just has "Weihrauch" in the sausage.

I was on the phone today ordering an 80, I had the choice of Hull Cartridge or cheaper(probably quicker) from Germany, .

So I went with the German option from my shop, they buy all their stuff there normally.
    Will let you now what it says on it, they couldn't get me a HW45 as stock is scarce, I called my local fishing shop that had one and he matched BAR's price, nipped out from the office to get it, its sat in my car shouting at me to go home and unbox it.

You tell him, Tone.

Cheers Tone. I found a few .22 wadcutters, and took the '80 to my personal indoor range (aka the living room). Loosed off these three shots from a standing start. That's as good as I'd do with a match rifle.
    Its cheating if the barrel touches the paper Phil.. You do know that right?!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.