Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel tumbling media, anyone use it?

Stainless steel tumbling media, anyone use it?

Does anyone use stainless steel tumbling media, the little metal spikey pin things. If so is it any good?

I've always used corn cob media with a large handful of jewellers rouge thrown in.... wondered if this metal stuff is any better.

Thanks

Ad

Yes I use it, needs to be used in a drum full of water with a squirt of dishwasher detergent. Get the brass absolutely spotless, inside and out including the primer pockets.

This is the one I have, http://www.1967spud.com/shop/stm-tum...-220-volt-kit/
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

I use a Thumler one and it is the best type of cleaner by far. Better then the vibro cleaner with corncob/walnut shells and the sonic cleaners.

You still get the odd blocked flash hole (not a problem with sonic cleaners) and you will have to dry the cases before reloading (not a problem with vibro cleaners) but it gets them cleaner than new, both inside and out.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    Yes, I use a Rebel 17 SSM tumbler - gets the skankiest, obturated cases absolutely gleaming inside and out, including the primer pockets, in about 90 minutes.

I use a fairly powerful neodymium magnet to make sure there are no steel pins left in the cases and as I share my workshop with a rather large biomass furnace, drying cases thoroughly isn't a problem!

A.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Where do you get the media?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thanks all! I did not realise that this media required the use of water. Sounds like I'll need a new tumbler before taking the plunge (pardon the pun).

Sounds like this stuff really does what it says on the tin, very interested in how well it cleans inside the cases but more importantly the primer pockets. I shoot a lot of .357 and after a couple of reloads those primer pockets get really dirty, it takes an age to scrape each one out with a Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner. Especially when I tumble, clean, prime and reload in batches of 1000.

Never liked the idea of putting cases into water, drying them afterwards always sounded like a major PITA; but I guess its time to get over that and give it a try!

Thanks

Ad

I use one and the finish is nicer than with an ultrasonic, but I don't think they are any cleaner.

Before investing, get a cheap ultrasonic and try it with water and citric acid (or a sterident tablet, same as you clean your teeth with each night ).

Make sure you stand the cases on their bases as this seems to shake the shit out of the pockets better than being on their sides. About 4 lots of 400 odd seconds does the trick. I certainly cleans up my 45's ok.

The tumbler makes them really shiny which fades to a nice brass patina (I've watched the antiques programme) after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Yes, I use a Rebel 17 SSM tumbler - gets the skankiest, obturated cases absolutely gleaming inside and out, including the primer pockets, in about 90 minutes.

I use a fairly powerful neodymium magnet to make sure there are no steel pins left in the cases and as I share my workshop with a rather large biomass furnace, drying cases thoroughly isn't a problem!

A.
    Doesn't work on hornet cases though, the magnet I mean, found a pin wedged in one of those cases you gave me, which I'm sure you'll say is just another reason not to load hornet!!
    Thanks for looking

Item number 181754776749 on the bay, around half the price of spud, and not cheap pins that rust, I'll be buying some more soon!
    Thanks for looking

That's the only other scary bit, I don't want to end up accidentally putting one of those pins down my barrel! eek!

Quote Originally Posted by AD_K View Post
    very interested in how well it cleans inside the cases but more importantly the primer pockets.

Never liked the idea of putting cases into water, drying them afterwards always sounded like a major PITA;d
    Primer pockets are like new and the drying is not a real problem, I just lay a batch out on a lined baking tray and stick in the oven for a while on a low heat (about 75ºC for an hour or so - just hot enough to handle without blisters). Just don't tell the wife. Or you could just let air dry with or without fan assist, takes a bit longer though.

BTW there is an article in the latest GunMart about SS tumbling. It shows the clean insides compared to a dirty (vibratory cleaned?) case but unfortunately not the primer pocket.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Doesn't work on hornet cases though, the magnet I mean, found a pin wedged in one of those cases you gave me, which I'm sure you'll say is just another reason not to load hornet!!
    I left it in deliberately to try and put you off the foolish gay calibre and enthuse you into buying a .222 instead...
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Here's a short video of how I clean my cases with Stainless steel media - I've tried all ways over the years but been using SS for the last 3-4 years and don't think I could find anything better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyAkj-LzA8

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    I left it in deliberately to try and put you off the foolish gay calibre and enthuse you into buying a .222 instead...
    I thought that may be the case! Trouble is its too close to the .223 I've already got!!
    Thanks for looking