Thread: Went all out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I did use to bother when I shot F class, but I had a consistant ES of 6-7FPS.

Was it worth it? Dunno, I got sick of worrying about the load.

I know sod all about the hornet except that its a pretty little round from a collectors point of view and it can be a bitch to get right hand loading. It dont half go though. Scott knows the Hornet pretty well to be fair.

All my loads now are done using my old F class kit, but since 2 are Service mag loaders (so stuck with certain OALs) and hardly tac drivers and the other is an elderly but half decent target rifle with a scope I am hardly worried unless I get split cases or silly fliers...otherwise known as a good group with my current lack of practice and the No4.

In reality the best I need from the M67 is 1MOA (which it will do) and the centre of a Fig11/12/14 for the AR (Easy) and the No4....the screen so its happy days.

Its about expectation and the point at which you accept things are ok.

I know the M67 will shoot tighter, but at the expense of the brass and potentially my face so I have reduced the load (It was not over but I stopped shooting past 600 and the old girl deserves better).

I know that 2 MOA is fine with the AR, but that depends on a prefectly centred group...often seen at BR shoots, rarely seen at CSR shoots (from all positions), so if I have a load that will half the standard....I can wobble about a bit and get away with it.

What's the point? It would not matter a toss whether it was 1 or .5 MOA off a bipod etc and all the other shite people use to test groups...than take off again.

The fact is that they all extract nicely, shoot consistantly (and predictably) and the brass keeps going. The groups might be tightened but since none of them are habitually shot from bipods the POI shifts anyway so zeroing etc is usually done slung, free or mag rested...which gives a reaslistic wobble. The .5moa wont make a massive difference.

I think there comes a point where you are simply putting wear on a throat/barrel which might be better spent practicing sitting or shooting in a strong wind.

Work out what works and stick to it, dont spend too much time arsing about unless you really need it to achieve the aim...scuse punn...its crap
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    I did use to bother when I shot F class, but I had a consistant ES of 6-7FPS.

Was it worth it? Dunno, I got sick of worrying about the load.

I know sod all about the hornet except that its a pretty little round from a collectors point of view and it can be a bitch to get right hand loading. It dont half go though. Scott knows the Hornet pretty well to be fair.

All my loads now are done using my old F class kit, but since 2 are Service mag loaders (so stuck with certain OALs) and hardly tac drivers and the other is an elderly but half decent target rifle with a scope I am hardly worried unless I get split cases or silly fliers...otherwise known as a good group with my current lack of practice and the No4.

In reality the best I need from the M67 is 1MOA (which it will do) and the centre of a Fig11/12/14 for the AR (Easy) and the No4....the screen so its happy days.

Its about expectation and the point at which you accept things are ok.

I know the M67 will shoot tighter, but at the expense of the brass and potentially my face so I have reduced the load (It was not over but I stopped shooting past 600 and the old girl deserves better).

I know that 2 MOA is fine with the AR, but that depends on a prefectly centred group...often seen at BR shoots, rarely seen at CSR shoots (from all positions), so if I have a load that will half the standard....I can wobble about a bit and get away with it.

What's the point? It would not matter a toss whether it was 1 or .5 MOA off a bipod etc and all the other shite people use to test groups...than take off again.

The fact is that they all extract nicely, shoot consistantly (and predictably) and the brass keeps going. The groups might be tightened but since none of them are habitually shot from bipods the POI shifts anyway so zeroing etc is usually done slung, free or mag rested...which gives a reaslistic wobble. The .5moa wont make a massive difference.

I think there comes a point where you are simply putting wear on a throat/barrel which might be better spent practicing sitting or shooting in a strong wind.

Work out what works and stick to it, dont spend too much time arsing about unless you really need it to achieve the aim...scuse punn...its crap
    words to live by!
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    words to live by!
    Cheers Hun, I am really slumming it these days

Oddly I have 4 different loads for the AR and at shorter ranges they all shoot about the same execpt that the light 55gr PPU bullet buggers off left while all the 77 SMKs seem to go on rails.

I will as likley settle on Wildboar and/or RS52 as they are both pretty close but the WB is a damned sight cheaper, but I just have a lot of powder kicking about as I did not do much of the league this year.

I will have to catch up with you lot soon.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know