Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy New or Repair Air Cylinder for Feinwerkbau P70. Advice Please.

Buy New or Repair Air Cylinder for Feinwerkbau P70. Advice Please.

I have a really nice Feinwerkbau P70 match rifle that has an out of date air cylinder - not really a big problem but the cylinder is leaking air from around the manometer .

This is only a slow leak, but when immersing the end of the cylinder in a mug of water the bubbles can be seen coming out around the manometer glass so that is definitely where it is leaking from.

Is it possible to fit a new seal under the manometer, or fit a new manometer, or given the age of the cylinder would it be best just to "forget it" and buy a another cylinder?

If a repair is possible, is there a recommendation for somebody good and reliable to contact to get this job done correctly?

Alternatively, does anyone have a good condition (non leaking) Feinwerkbau air rifle cylinder they would like to sell?

I understand the P70, P700 and P800 match rifle all use the same air cylinder as it is a common part that fits them all so there could be quite a few about.

Perhaps top match shooters like to change their cylinders frequently and then need to dispose of the "older" one - if so, please contact me as I would like to buy one !

Failing that, can anybody advise the best place to buy a new P70/P700/P800 air rifle cylinder at the best price.

Being "picky" - a silver or black one would be best :roll eyes: but any colour cylinder would be OK !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

You could try talking to the guy at Centra uk. He is the uk importer for Feinwerkbau. I found him very helpful when i need my pistol serviced.
    TEL: 01483 756969

Quote Originally Posted by BJ knome View Post
    You could try talking to the guy at Centra uk. He is the uk importer for Feinwerkbau. I found him very helpful when i need my pistol serviced.
    Thanks!

I will give Centra a call in the morning but would also be interested in hearing from anyone else that may have a cylinder for sale or who has had a cylinder successfully repaired.

Bob.

Hi Zooma, you may have considered this already, there is normally air below the manometer perspex. Are you sure that the leak is from the cylinder or just the trapped air escaping?

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotmike! View Post
    Hi Zooma, you may have considered this already, there is normally air below the manometer perspex. Are you sure that the leak is from the cylinder or just the trapped air escaping?
    The cylinder will empty itself when left overnight and when immersed in water the airstream is constant so I am fairly sure the leak is from or around the manometer

If you don't mind buying new from Europe : I've got a feeling that Schiessport Buinger do them at a reasonable price and they also ship to the uk as well. If Not, Euroshooting in Czechoslovakia might be able to help, or otherwise, Krale Schietsport.

Repair wise Centra UK might be able to help, and also, possibly A and M Custom Guns might be worth a call, they've offered help to me in a similar situation a year or two ago.

For the difference in cost between repair of an "old" cylinder, or outright replacement, buying new might be the best of the alternatives.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

Don't mess with high pressure air! If your cylinder is old / knackered / damaged / past its 'use by' date then just buy a new one.

Edenkillie do them for £192 / NSRA for around £178 and I am sure probably £30 from anywhere in Europe.

200 bar is 200 atmospheres, that's a large kaboom.

Some wise person will come along in a moment and say it doesn't make a difference, unless you are shooting under ISSF or at an international match.

Personally I believe what Feinwerkbau say, as funnily enough they are the manufacturer and tend to know what they are talking about.

Zooma, apologies if I come on a bit strong. I mean you no harm, it just happens that this subject is my pet peeve

General information in regard to FEINWERKBAU compressed air cylinders

1. The compressed air cylinders manufactured by FEINWERKBAU are produced according to the German Pressure Vessel Code,
    but have not to be certified (i.e. by TÜV, etc.). The manufacturer must assure the safety of the compressed air cylinder.

Based on the above the lifetime of the compressed air cylinders was limited to 10 years. After this time period the compressed air cylinders shall be disposed in a safe condition which means depressurized. FEINWERKBAU does not assume any liability in regard to the safety of compressed air cylinders being used longer then 10 years.

The compressed air cylinders are produced out of a special, high quality aluminium alloy. However the material is subject to
    an ageing process, which means the material might embrittle. The high stress and strains caused by the filling pressure of 200 bars [2900psi]
    (in comparison: a car tire is filled with 3 bar [43,51 psi], as well as the alternating load between filled and
    empty condition of the compressed air cylinder could cause that the microstructure of the material might not withstand the stress after 10 years

[QUOTE=AD_K;6906027]Some wise person will come along in a moment and say it doesn't make a difference, unless you are shooting under ISSF or at an international match.

Personally I believe what Feinwerkbau say, as funnily enough they are the manufacturer and tend to know what they are talking about.

Zooma, apologies if I come on a bit strong. I mean you no harm, it just happens that this subject is my pet peeve

Thanks for your good advice - safety has to be everyone's top priority and I understand both sides of the argument/debate/recommendation etc.

My own feeling is that if the tube is inspected when the manometer is taken off and everything is sound with no trace or corrosion etc then changing a leaking seal should not be a problem. There are a lot of air cylinders in weekly use that are far older than mine.

If the alloy cylinder was a casting then that would be a very different matter ( like the infamous and appropriately hand grenade shaped C20 pistol cylinder) as some castings (like the C20 that Feinwerkbau warn against) are known to embrittle with age.

Another option of course is to change the cylinder sleeve when the seals are changed but if there was any doubt about the structural integrity of the sleeve or valve ends I would rather just buy a new one - and as you suggest they are not at all expensive when sourced from various suppliers in Germany ( 124 euros when I checked this morning).

I would prefer a new cylinder (or a good used) one but I also dislike throwing perfectly good cylinders away just because of an imposed 10 year expiry date that takes no account of the individual cylinders condition or previous usage.

My cylinder will be taken apart by an FWB factory trained gunsmith later this week and after it has been inspected it will re-sealed if the internal condition of the cylinder is in perfect condition - any doubts and it will be scrapped and replaced with a new one.
    Last edited by zooma; 03-02-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ knome View Post

I spoke to him today and explained the problem and the symptoms to him and he was very helpful and advised that it would be a simple job to replace the seal that would be inexpensive and could be completed in less than half an hour.

However, he also explained that he would not be able to repair my cylinder as it was out of date and this could cause him some problems if he were to do it.

Now I know it is a simple problem to fix and an easy repair to make I will try to get it done elsewhere and get the inside of the cylinder checked first to make sure it is safe and will cause no future problems.

Centra would also be unable to post a new cylinder to me ( although they do have them in stock), but they would be prepared to send it to an RFD.

Given the higher UK price and the need to make an arrangement with an RFD to receive it I have decided not to buy a new one by mail order in the UK.

I am still interested if anyone has a good used FWB rifle cylinder for sale - please let me know.

It was a very pleasant surprise to hear from a BBS member who has the tooling and the parts needed to inspect and reseal my cylinder for me - very much appreciated - I certainly owe you a favor !
    Last edited by zooma; 05-02-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Hi Zooma, I have recently resealed my own P34 cylinder as it was also leaking from the manometer. Was easy enough to do and has been holding pressure fine for a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by jas750l View Post
    Hi Zooma, I have recently resealed my own P34 cylinder as it was also leaking from the manometer. Was easy enough to do and has been holding pressure fine for a week now.
    Well done!

Thats encouraging - how did you fix the leak?

Fitted new o rings , got them from my local Eriks
    I had been contemplating buying a new cylinder as mine is also out of date,I thought I'd try it and so far so good ...

Thanks to wonky donkey my cylinder is now fixed and working perfectly