Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "period" scope for a Mk2 airsporter.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

"period" scope for a Mk2 airsporter.

My eyes are struggling with open sights, although the airsporter's are actually pretty good. What kind of scope would have been contemporary and might actually be usable ? I've see lots of old BSA 4x15s but they are hopeless, and I think they were mostly newer anyways... someting like a 4x32 would be fine. Any ideas guys ?

It seems wrong to clutter the clean lines, but I do feel the need to see what I'm aiming at
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

A gloss Nikko sterling silver or Gold Crown would go nice with the right mount or the early ASI version.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of hitting much with a period BSA scope - they're better for display than use and open sights are a lot more useful I once had a Nikko 4x32 on a Mk2 but had to get a wider mount from John Knibbs for the 1960s scope grooves on the BSA.

Have you considered an aperture sight Jon? They tend to sharpen the focus of ageing eyes but do require a decent level of light to get the best from them. I sold a Parker Hale sight on here last week that would have been ideal.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It may not quite be contemporary with the Airsporter Mk2 but I had great results back in the day with an Original mod 10 scope, although I don't know exactly when it was first made. I bought mine in 1982 but I think it was old stock then. Lovely and bright Jap-made 4x32 with a German #1 type reticle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not a Mk. 2 but an RB2 Stutzen.
    Gloss Jap Tasco 4x32 and its fine !
    “An airgun or two”………

thaks guys, lots of good info. Might try a dovetail mounted diopter and see if I like it. I tried one with my FWB300 and couldn't get on with it, but the type that sit a bit further forwards from one's eye might work better...

Yeah, those old BSA scopes were carp...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi John,

I have got a new and boxed Simmons 3/4" rifle scope that has a very similar appearance, size and shape to the original BSA scopes that you are mentioning.

The scope is 4 x 15 and has slightly better optics than BSA scopes I have had and it comes with integral mounts and is very lightweight.

If it is of any interest to you I would sell it for £20.00 but I also think bigger scopes work far better as these smaller sizes of scope are a nice "dressing" to make the rifle look "period" rather than being of any major optical advantage.

This scope as now been SOLD.
    Last edited by zooma; 06-02-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have a EB 6x42 on mine That doesn't look too bad !
    Its a 177 and the most accurate Airsporter I have ever owned
    The Mount adaptors came from John Knibbs and were Expensive but work well
    I cant shoot without a scope these days so really its function over form i am afraid
    The little 3/4 scopes were never any good anyway

Last edited by mallyally; 03-02-2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Wrong Picture

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    I have a EB 6x42 on mine That doesn't look too bad !
    Its a 177 and the most accurate Airsporter I have ever owned
    The Mount adaptors came from John Knibbs and were Expensive but work well
    I cant shoot without a scope these days so really its function over form i am afraid
    The little 3/4 scopes were never any good anyway

Is this the 177 Sporter from the Antiques fair Mally, looks very nice, jammy bxxxxxr.

Cheers
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Is this the 177 Sporter from the Antiques fair Mally, looks very nice, jammy bxxxxxr.

Cheers
    Mel
    Yeah thats The one mate Best Airsporter I ever Owned
    Glad I bought It
    How are You Doing Anyway Mate ?

Bought it to the club last night, and one of the members had a spare 6x15 sussex armoury scope, 3/4" tube, complete with steel plate "wraparound" style mount. It did have a few issues... it seemed to have leaked some magnification in it's 30 odd years, and it was just about a 4x mag now. Looking down range through it, it appeared that the black powder boys had just unleased a volley of lead, and the range was bathed in smoke... then I looked with the naked eye and it was fine... so a bit "clpoudy" then Zeroing was interesting... the elevation turret clicked, but run out of "down" whilst still shooting 6" high. The windage didn't click at all, and had no affect on zero, which randomly moved left and right with a 10" range

But, it really did look the business on the old 'sporter. But it was utter shite in every practical sense

I think John summarised it pretty well above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I wouldn't hold out much hope of hitting much with a period BSA scope - they're better for display than use and open sights are a lot more useful

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It may not quite be contemporary with the Airsporter Mk2 but I had great results back in the day with an Original mod 10 scope, although I don't know exactly when it was first made. I bought mine in 1982 but I think it was old stock then. Lovely and bright Jap-made 4x32 with a German #1 type reticle.
    Top scope the mod 10... how about the Nikko 4X28 Tiara?

I think I have had most of the period stuff and they are not much good if you want to actually shoot with them.

Personally I use the later Tasco and Nikko sterling stuff 4x32 and 3x9x40, and I have a couple of small Burris scopes on my Mk2's as they have long eye relief suitable for the forward mounting of the Airsporters.

I have been using a Burris timberine 2x7x26 and a Burris compact 3x9x32. The small but business like looks seems to suit the BSA's, plus they are nice glass. I cant look through milky scopes since I needed reading glasses.

If you really wanted to splash out a gloss Leupold 3x9x33 EFR would really be the business.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I think I have had most of the period stuff and they are not much good if you want to actually shoot with them.

Personally I use the later Tasco and Nikko sterling stuff 4x32 and 3x9x40, and I have a couple of small Burris scopes on my Mk2's as they have long eye relief suitable for the forward mounting of the Airsporters.

I have been using a Burris timberine 2x7x26 and a Burris compact 3x9x32. The small but business like looks seems to suit the BSA's, plus they are nice glass. I cant look through milky scopes since I needed reading glasses.

If you really wanted to splash out a gloss Leupold 3x9x33 EFR would really be the business.
    Jon,

The gloss Leupold 4x33 and 2-7x28 are also very nice and small and classic looking and should not be silly money if you find a second hand one. Have one of the former on an FWB Sport and it looks very right on it.

Agree with Big Seth on the Original mod 10 (was it 32mm? I kind of thought it was 40?). I had a model 17 (I think) in 6x40 flavour. Nice thing, and not too pricy when they come up. Ditto old Jap gloss Nikkos. Just simple, timeless scopes without PA rings and IR and all the other fashionable modern guff cluttering them up.

Modern bargain basement option could be the JSR-supplied SMK 4x32 Compact (about £15). I have just put one on a Webley Air Wolf (aka Diana Mod 24). It is far from the best scope in the world, but it works and looks quite in keeping on an older and rather small rifle.

Just found an old gloss Nikko 6x32.... might have to press that into service...