Thread: "period" scope for a Mk2 airsporter.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

"period" scope for a Mk2 airsporter.

My eyes are struggling with open sights, although the airsporter's are actually pretty good. What kind of scope would have been contemporary and might actually be usable ? I've see lots of old BSA 4x15s but they are hopeless, and I think they were mostly newer anyways... someting like a 4x32 would be fine. Any ideas guys ?

It seems wrong to clutter the clean lines, but I do feel the need to see what I'm aiming at
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

A gloss Nikko sterling silver or Gold Crown would go nice with the right mount or the early ASI version.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of hitting much with a period BSA scope - they're better for display than use and open sights are a lot more useful I once had a Nikko 4x32 on a Mk2 but had to get a wider mount from John Knibbs for the 1960s scope grooves on the BSA.

Have you considered an aperture sight Jon? They tend to sharpen the focus of ageing eyes but do require a decent level of light to get the best from them. I sold a Parker Hale sight on here last week that would have been ideal.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It may not quite be contemporary with the Airsporter Mk2 but I had great results back in the day with an Original mod 10 scope, although I don't know exactly when it was first made. I bought mine in 1982 but I think it was old stock then. Lovely and bright Jap-made 4x32 with a German #1 type reticle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not a Mk. 2 but an RB2 Stutzen.
    Gloss Jap Tasco 4x32 and its fine !
    “An airgun or two”………

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    thaks guys, lots of good info. Might try a dovetail mounted diopter and see if I like it. I tried one with my FWB300 and couldn't get on with it, but the type that sit a bit further forwards from one's eye might work better...

Yeah, those old BSA scopes were carp...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It may not quite be contemporary with the Airsporter Mk2 but I had great results back in the day with an Original mod 10 scope, although I don't know exactly when it was first made. I bought mine in 1982 but I think it was old stock then. Lovely and bright Jap-made 4x32 with a German #1 type reticle.
    Top scope the mod 10... how about the Nikko 4X28 Tiara?

I think I have had most of the period stuff and they are not much good if you want to actually shoot with them.

Personally I use the later Tasco and Nikko sterling stuff 4x32 and 3x9x40, and I have a couple of small Burris scopes on my Mk2's as they have long eye relief suitable for the forward mounting of the Airsporters.

I have been using a Burris timberine 2x7x26 and a Burris compact 3x9x32. The small but business like looks seems to suit the BSA's, plus they are nice glass. I cant look through milky scopes since I needed reading glasses.

If you really wanted to splash out a gloss Leupold 3x9x33 EFR would really be the business.
    BASC