Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "period" scope for a Mk2 airsporter.

Earlier Tasco scopes come up quite frequently, these had decent Asashi (Pentax) glass, were made in Japan and look nice on the older rifles, these were far better (in my opinion) than the current Tasco stuff, Tasco's name has gone down hill in recent years so some of the better early stuff can be had at good prices. I still have a 1.75-5x40 that apart from some wear on the eye cup rubber is in very nice cosmetic and optical condition, fully waterproof and holds zero fine on Springers, I've changed rifles many a time but kept the scope, if you can find a Tasco "Worlds" series all the better, they do come up and can be at a very nice price.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Bought it to the club last night, and one of the members had a spare 6x15 sussex armoury scope, 3/4" tube, complete with steel plate "wraparound" style mount. It did have a few issues... it seemed to have leaked some magnification in it's 30 odd years, and it was just about a 4x mag now. Looking down range through it, it appeared that the black powder boys had just unleased a volley of lead, and the range was bathed in smoke... then I looked with the naked eye and it was fine... so a bit "clpoudy" then Zeroing was interesting... the elevation turret clicked, but run out of "down" whilst still shooting 6" high. The windage didn't click at all, and had no affect on zero, which randomly moved left and right with a 10" range

But, it really did look the business on the old 'sporter. But it was utter shite in every practical sense

I think John summarised it pretty well above:
    Airsporter 6" high. no more adjustment.
    Pass you back to Blackkrider.
    Seem to remember John had a problem similar but not sure of the solution.
    Edd.
    The only good rat is a dead rat and the best poison to use is lead.... .25 Flavour
    No I don't want the bucket closer

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    If you go on E-Bay and search for Weaver K4 or Weaver K3, you will get lots of hits. The early K series of scopes would be contemporary to the MkII Airsporter. At the time the MkII was on sale I'm pretty sure that there were no "British" scopes on the market other than the Mickey mouse ones offered by BSA and Webley. I think even the Nikkos came along a bit later.
    Sportsmatch do a mount suitable for the 4 short scope rails, or see if you can get hold of a pair of Parker Hale mounts (RALS4, IIRC) to keep it period correct.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    If you go on E-Bay and search for Weaver K4 or Weaver K3, you will get lots of hits. The early K series of scopes would be contemporary to the MkII Airsporter. At the time the MkII was on sale I'm pretty sure that there were no "British" scopes on the market other than the Mickey mouse ones offered by BSA and Webley. I think even the Nikkos came along a bit later.
    Sportsmatch do a mount suitable for the 4 short scope rails, or see if you can get hold of a pair of Parker Hale mounts (RALS4, IIRC) to keep it period correct.
    Interesting advice - thanks Harry!

JM
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Ok, weaver search sounds good... gloss steel I'd presume
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yes they have steel bodies. Don't go for it if it has Micro-trac adjustments, they are about 1980's vintage.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

edbear2 Guest
    Ok, weaver search sounds good... gloss steel I'd presume
    B6 looks quite the part if you can find one,and yes they are (blued) all steel and Al;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...n/photostream/

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    B6 looks quite the part if you can find one,and yes they are (blued) all steel and Al;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...n/photostream/

ATB, ED
    Ooh, definitely looks the part
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I thought about this thread when I saw on old slim Pecar 3x36mm and mounts on E-thing this evening.

It went for £147 plus p&p.

Ouch.

Damn, I spent less on the gun...

Damn, I spent less on the gun...
    Me too! I'd have maybe given it a punt at up to £60-75, but that is silly money.

I just fitted a 1950s vintage Weaver J4 to my Meteor MkII. These old, 3/4" Weavers were good quality scopes, streets ahead of the scopes BSA and Webley initially brought out to "complement" their air rifles something like 10 or 15 years later.
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psn806rbeq.jpg
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...pssodnkqgy.jpg
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psbgrcshhv.jpg
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psgsodlgg1.jpg
    The mounts are Parker Hale ARBS 1.
    Last edited by harry mac; 13-02-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Additional info.