Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which are the favoured Co2 replica pistols and which ones to avoid?

Which are the favoured Co2 replica pistols and which ones to avoid?

Way back in 1999 I bought my Umarex Beretta 92 AF. Which at the time was very cool and I still like it. Today there seems to be a wealth of Co2 pistols on the market, e.g.

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...ls?perpage=117

117 from just one shop.

Ignoring the revolvers, the CP1 ans 2240's. Anyone want to voice some opinions on the ones to get or the ones to avoid?

I rather fancy another realistic/replica pistol for a bit of fun plinking. But with so much choice I wouldn't know where to start.

Blowback looks cool, but not a necessity. Something that shoots well is and something that is fun.

My 92AF is a tad on the heavy side, I think it weighs in at slightly more than the genuine article according to reviews. So something a tad lighter would be nice.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

HI mate, this topic could go a few ways lol but your going to get a few opinions I think, most if it will be personal preference.. For me though if your into replicas and have not got one in your collection go for a blowback BB pistol
    But definitely a BB rather then pellet to keep realism, also go for one with a full size drop out magazine not a stick type, or one with a trigger indexing system..

Personally I think everyone should own a 1911 lol..

Have a look at my YouTube channel if you like your see a good few choices.

ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    I picked up a Sig Sauer P250 ODG CO2 .177 yesterday. Can't provide a full report yet, clearly...but it seems well built so far. Accurate enough, handles well and smashes holes into coke cans at 10 meters, so suits me fine.

I had an RWS C225 for a few years. Now that was a star, really well built, solid and accurate too. A really big chuck of metal.

I've had a Rat Catcher which was fun and surprisingly accurate and a bit of garden fun. It saw off a few rats but felt like it was poorly constructed and wobbly.
    I plink, therefore I am.

Do not go for a Sig Sauer p226 or 250, you'll regret it!
    See previous threads for details.
    Going to be hard to beat a 92f for quality, nice pistol.
    As Marc said if your looking for realism go for a Swiss or tangfolio 1911 replica.
    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

Thanks for the replies. And Marc, great YT channel, I've watched a number of your vids previously.

As for pistols. I quite like the look of the Walther CP99... but it seems quite pricey, when compared to the Walther PPS. Would anyone say it's worth it?

And how worth is it sticking with Umarex? e.g.

Umarex Makarov non blow back
    http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...o2-pistol/1049

or the KWC blow back version
    http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...back-177/15843

At Pellpax they are the same money, but think they are similar priced elsewhere.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Everybody will have their own POV on this Personally I like the CZ75 P-09- very nice to shoot especially with a red dot on it, pellet and good fun...but had I listened to its detractors (who mostly hadn't even tried one!) I might not have gone for it. I have a CP99 pellet and it isn't a bad shooter even if with a fairly short barrel. Having said that there is a guy on the UBC who swears by his. Depends a lot on how hung up you are on the term "replica" to a degree and whether you are prepared to lose out on longevity and accuracy in order to have a full drop out mag, cut out ejector and lockback on last shot. I'll freely admit I prefer pellet to bb, but accept that some of the "replica" element loses out by sticking to pellet.

Everyone will have a different opinion. If you like the 92, you will probably like the CP88, as it's shorter and lighter (and generally better, IMHO). And a good used one on here should be £100 or less.

The CP99 is quite nice. The DA trigger is heavy and graunchy, and the sights are far too big. But it's still quite a decent bit of kit and the SA trigger action is as good as the DA is bad. Definitely a step up from the CPS.

Many will disagree, but I have real doubts about the long-term robustness of many blowback BB guns, with some exceptions like the Baikal (not the Umarex) Makarov. And the "realism" doesn't do much for me: it's still a low-powered air pistol, even if its light alloy slide trundles back and forth with each shot.

In any case, I personally can't get enthusiastic about guns that can't group in a maximum of 1.5" (and preferably 1" or less) at 10m, while making proper round holes in a card target. The better pellet firers will do that. I don't know a BB repeater that will.

Thanks for the feedback and help. A 1911 sounds pretty cool. But there seem to be loads on the market and I'll have to do some research to try and figure which ones to avoid or go for.

I've also watched some vids and reviews of the CP88/99, Desert Eagle and P30. Some of these seem cool, but I think I'd like something different to my 92AF. And some of these seem to use the same sort of setup. And the price seems a tad high on some.

I like the look of the Makarov from KWC with the blowback. But reviews seem to show it as underpowered and shoots quite low. But it's a real contender.

The Mauser broom handle is a contender too. But there seems a couple of makes and a few flavours. Such a shame we don't get the full auto mode either. Does anyone know if the air soft version can be had in full auto in the UK?

However the front runner that appeals the most is one that surprised me. The Gamo p-25 blowback. I know it's not really a replica, but I like the look and hint of Walther PP about it. And it seems to tick all the other things I want. Price seems good too and build quality. Going to give my local RRD a call to see if they have them.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Luger blowback...?
    Never tried one personally, but I think there are a couple of models which seem to be well regarded and the toggle mech. does look pretty cool.
    It's also just something slightly different from the norm....

If you want pellet rather than BB - You might consider the Umarex S&W 586?
    10 shots rather than the usual 8, and by far the best trigger of all the Umarex replica thingys.
    Fully adjustable sights, and it's capable of putting all 10 in the black on a match card.
    It's not a pistol though. It's a revolver. Or a 'spinner' as the gangsters like to call them.

Before the appearance of the first semi-auto handguns at the end of the 19th century a revolver was often referred to as a pistol!

The term pistol today can equally mean either a revolver or a semi-auto handgun,(or a percussion or flintlock handgun) the term is not exclusive to the new fangled semi auto design.
    Last edited by mrto; 05-02-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post
    Thanks for the replies. And Marc, great YT channel, I've watched a number of your vids previously.

As for pistols. I quite like the look of the Walther CP99... but it seems quite pricey, when compared to the Walther PPS. Would anyone say it's worth it?

And how worth is it sticking with Umarex? e.g.

Umarex Makarov non blow back
    http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...o2-pistol/1049

or the KWC blow back version
    http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...back-177/15843

At Pellpax they are the same money, but think they are similar priced elsewhere.
    HI mate, thank you..
    I'll just do a little reply now, as I'm on my phone but will try and reply in more detail later tonight.. Sorry if my words get muddled my phone likes to type strange.
    As a few have said people do like different things, so I definitely recommend going to a shop and holding some guns..
    Personal I'd say stay away from the umarex none blowback mag, if your going for a none blowback you might as well go for a pellet shooter..

The makarov ultra is an OK gun bit over priced depending on where you buy it, it only has half blowback as well so the slide does not fully recoil, but it does have quite a nice kick, it has a trigger loading system on the magazine so the trigger pull is a little crunchy and stiff, I have the beretta 84fs basically the same works just a different frame/gun..

The walther pps personaly I think is a rubbish gun, it has a stick type magazine, half blowback, none cutout ejection port cover, and a trigger loading system, the trigger on that is one of the worst you will feel on a BB blowback pistol just awful.. I had one it latest 3 months before the slide crack in two places while shooting it..

As for airsoft, yes you can have a full auto gas blowback pistol, I just uploaded a video of my full and semi auto WE Glock 18c, your see it shooting in the video..
    But if you want an airsoft gun in its original colours a RIF, if not with a blue, or red or another brightly coloured slide and grips, you will need to have an airsoft defense to buy one from a shop, ie, your need to be a registered skirmisher and have your Ukara number, or another form of defense (lol there's a lot to go into with that)

Take your time don't rush into a buy and do the research which your doing anyway and your end up with a gun you like, and like most of us, your end up with a lot of guns anyway mate lol
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Before the appearance of the first semi-auto handguns at the end of the 19th century a revolver was often referred to as a pistol!

The term pistol today can equally mean either a revolver or a semi-auto handgun,(or a percussion or flintlock handgun) the term is not exclusive to the new fangled semi auto design.
    ------------
    "They're Not Pistols"

"The vast majority of revolvers are not pistols, because the chambers contained within the cylinder are separate from the gun's barrel. Those revolvers that do contain multiple barrels in the cylinder are most often referred to as pepperboxes rather than revolvers."

- Russ Chastain
    -----------

I will think about how wrong you are - while I do a half hour's revolver practice before dinner this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    ------------
    "They're Not Pistols"

"The vast majority of revolvers are not pistols, because the chambers contained within the cylinder are separate from the gun's barrel. Those revolvers that do contain multiple barrels in the cylinder are most often referred to as pepperboxes rather than revolvers."

- Russ Chastain
    -----------

I will think about how wrong you are - while I do a half hour's revolver practice before dinner this evening.
    Nevertheless,the term has been applied to revolvers since their inception in the first half of the 19th century!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Nevertheless,the term has been applied to revolvers since their inception in the first half of the 19th century!
    "Been applied to" or "Often referred to" doesn't mean it's correct.

I know you'd rather say 'pass my revolver' rather than 'pass my pistol' (if indeed it were a revolver that you were referring to).