Thread: Looking to upgrade

Looking to upgrade

For years I'd been thinking about getting back into shooting in some form or another and decided a few weeks back to dip my toe in the water by getting a Beeman P17 pistol. I've been using the Beeman at my local 10m range and it's fair to say I'm pretty hooked on the sport so I'm now thinking about my next pistol purchase.

I don't think I'm quite ready to head into Steyr territory so am looking to go for small upgrade to the Beeman. My only criteria really is that I don't want Co2 and I don't want to blow a chunk of budget on setting up for PCP just yet so am looking at single stroke pneumatic which I do realise limits my options. Also not to keen on 2nd hand unless it was from someone I know or well known on here (can't see the for sale forum until I've posted 5 times).My hours for internet research have led me to the Baikal MP-46m. I know it's not going to win any beauty contests but it seems to offer the accuracy upgrade I'm looking for. Or should I just persist with the Beeman and wait until I'm ready to spend the big bucks?

Currently my only concern about the Baikal is what I've read about it being nose heavy - for a beginner like me I'm wondering how much of an issue this is? I know it will be heavier than the Beeman.

I'm also thinking of ordering it from the Sportsman Gun Centre, seems they have the best price at the moment and as I'm off to Wales soon for a spot of r&r I'm thinking I could pick it up en route. Has anyone got any experience of dating with this company, good or bad?

Thanks in advance for comments and advice.

Tim.

You won't get a better SSP than the Baikal for your money. As you say, they're not the prettiest pistol around but you can't argue at the accuracy.
    You would have to do a bit of work on the grip, they're made like a slab so you can work them to fit your hand but shootable as they come.
    Yes, not light but if you're going to look at them you can judge for yourself when handling it.....I love mine but just shoot at home two handed or rested due to a dodgy shoulder.
    Eric.

Gamo Compact? Good target pistol with a little trigger fettle. Target grip, palm shelf, adjustable width rear notch. SSP. Could do worse! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Lots of folk on here bought from the SGC.
    IZH46M
    Pros: Great trigger, easy to cock, alternate front/rear sights, spare set of seals, powerful (cuts very clean holes at 10M) and very accurate.
    Cons: Bit heavy at first for single handed (need practice), need to shape the large grip, availability of spares? It needs a LARGE case
    Gamo Compact
    Pros: Small, light, good trigger when fixed (no better than the HW40), power little more than the P17/HW40, good match grip.
    Cons: Plastic overlever catch looks cheap (metal inside so works fine). Trigger and power not as good as the 46M. Used price OK (~£110) but new price getting too close to the 46M from SGC.

Many thanks for the responses, sounds like the Baikal could be the way to go. I managed to hold one unexpectedly in my local shop yesterday when I was in to get some pellets and I did find my hand was very shaky when I raised it to aim, definitely heavier than my little Beeman! I guess over time I'll build up some additional strength, I really liked it though, build quality seemed very nice and it didn't look quite as odd as i thought it might - I actually quite like the quirky look!

Crosman 1377 for me

Hello

I guess the answers to this one will be varied, as it's a matter of personal choice. Here comes my "two-penneth"

I may be a bit old fashioned, but the Crosman 1377 .177 "American Classic" is just that, a timeless classic. I got the big brother pistol (the 1322 the .22 - then called the "Medalist") back in 1972 (it was £20 !) and it was only last year when the valve and seals finally gave out and I sent it for repair (£36.50) and checking. Not bad for 43 years shooting !
    With a 10.2" rifled barrel they are super accurate, even with the open sights and there are lots of "after market" options if you want to dabble, including steel breeches, custom grips etc etc.

3/4 pumps you can plink away all day and use 10 pumps for maximum power. When you factor in not having to buy C02 or gas they are cheap as chips, and less noisy making them back garden friendly out of the box.

Crosman re-introduced the 1322 in 2012, but you have to try hard to find one, as (I suspect) they're floating close to the legal limit, whereas the 1377 is EVERYWHERE, and still not over £100.

Call me sentimental, but if someone said you can only own one air pistol, I'd be keeping my 1322. Even after all these years it's still my "go to" gun !

David