Thread: Not sure about oiling my Tempest

Not sure about oiling my Tempest

My Webley Tempest .22 looks a bit in need of lube around the sliding mech so whats best ?
    Local RFD says 3-in-1 or WD40 is ok, any opinions gratefully rec'd and also, would that be ok down the barrel on the cleaning pellets? I found an old Beeman catalogue where they warn of dire consequences if you use the wrong stuff, and they offer you about a dozen various concoctions of their own ...
    Thanks

Avoid WD40, it is not a lubricant. I'd be careful with cleaning pellets in a springer, always put a pellet behind them. For cleaning the bore I'd use something fit for the job like the Napier stuff but the cleaning pellets on their own should be good enough.

Everyone has their own favourite lubes, Ballistol and Abbey are not bad at all, just use sparingly.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

3-in-1 is fine (as is car engine oil). WD40 isn't. Silicone oil is a major no-no.

I'm in the camp that basically never clean airgun barrels. If you need to, I'd use a pullthrough and flanalette pouches, but leave it dry afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ivortripod View Post
    My Webley Tempest .22 looks a bit in need of lube around the sliding mech so whats best ?
    Local RFD says 3-in-1 or WD40 is ok, any opinions gratefully rec'd and also, would that be ok down the barrel on the cleaning pellets? I found an old Beeman catalogue where they warn of dire consequences if you use the wrong stuff, and they offer you about a dozen various concoctions of their own ...
    Thanks
    Hey, Evesham! Hello.
    Yes, as per the above posts, don't use WD40 and if you use a felt pellet put a lead one behind it, and don't leave oil in the barrel. Otherwise it's quite straightforward, with the occasional drop of 3in1 or similar on all the link pivot points and stirrup catch. The piston washer is PTFE, so no need to put oil 'into the system' like with the older steel Premiers, Seniors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ivortripod View Post
    Thanks
    For what its worth. I use pellgunoil type stuff on links and moly grease or moly paste on the sliding parts but sparingly and only occasionally. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I'd avoid all oils. I use molycoat BR2 grease
    WD40=water dispenser.
    For small joints I use teflonspray
    ATB,
    yana