Thread: HW 45 trigger adjustment

HW 45 trigger adjustment

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to get the trigger setting right for with my HW 45. I have tried the adjustment according to the manual but all I get is either a very long first stage with a hard second stage or just a single stage trigger with a vague release point. Does any one know how to sort this out please? I prefer a short first stage and light but positive second stage.

Thanks and Regards,

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Hi,

I don't seem to be able to get the trigger setting right for with my HW 45. I have tried the adjustment according to the manual but all I get is either a very long first stage with a hard second stage or just a single stage trigger with a vague release point. Does any one know how to sort this out please? I prefer a short first stage and light but positive second stage.

Thanks and Regards,

A.G
    You have to use very small tweaks of adjustment screws, they make a big difference! Also you must realize its a reciprocal set up. If you tweak the hardness/softness (bottom screw) it has an effect on the length of slack. If you adjust the take up slack (top) the hardness is affected. Trial and error is needed. If you get messed up and want to start again, screw both adjusters all the way back in then out on both about three quarters of a turn to give you a base point, which if you're lucky could be quite good. This, I think is how they are factory set. See how you go from that point and just tweak one screw and get a feel for what's happened to the other setting. By tweak I mean small nudges! Good luck with it. It takes time to get your head around it. You can always go back to start over point and try again so don't panic. ATB. Pete. PS. Bottom screw clockwise to harden. Anti to soften.)
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    You have to use very small tweaks of adjustment screws, they make a big difference! Also you must realize its a reciprocal set up. If you tweak the hardness/softness (bottom screw) it has an effect on the length of slack. If you adjust the take up slack (top) the hardness is affected. Trial and error is needed. If you get messed up and want to start again, screw both adjusters all the way back in then out on both about three quarters of a turn to give you a base point, which if you're lucky could be quite good. This, I think is how they are factory set. See how you go from that point and just tweak one screw and get a feel for what's happened to the other setting. By tweak I mean small nudges! Good luck with it. It takes time to get your head around it. You can always go back to start over point and try again so don't panic. ATB. Pete. PS. Bottom screw clockwise to harden. Anti to soften.)
    Thanks for your advice but that is how I reset the trigger ( screwing the screws home and backing off 3/4 of turn each ) . I only turn each screw 1/16th of a turn at a time. Will try smaller measures of turn and hope I could get it to work properly.

Regards,

A.G

Hi AG
    Bit late as I just got back from getting a bit of sun.
    Don't know if you've also tried using the hidden adjuster inside the grip to change trigger pull tension, accessed through the hole in the end of the grip or by taking the grip off.
    Not mentioned in the manual but is the same as on the HW75.
    Rgds, rob

Take the grip off and you can then see what the tfigger sears and adjustment screws are doing. You can adjust trigger, test and rest the sears manually all without firing any air. This should help you see shats going on. Also the trigger weight spring thats not mentioned in tha manual (and access for grub screw in bottom of grip) is visible and can easily be changed to a lighter spring. I changed mine to a spring from a pen and the trigger weight has gone from 2.8lbs to about 0.5lbs.
    Unfortunately mine had the trigger sears badly finished and also needed sanding with wet and dry but this is a pain and required complete disassembly og the gun.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    Hi AG
    Bit late as I just got back from getting a bit of sun.
    Don't know if you've also tried using the hidden adjuster inside the grip to change trigger pull tension, accessed through the hole in the end of the grip or by taking the grip off.
    Not mentioned in the manual but is the same as on the HW75.
    Rgds, rob
    Hi Rob,

Yes I have found it but I haven't done anything to it yet.

Regards,

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieneilie View Post
    Take the grip off and you can then see what the tfigger sears and adjustment screws are doing. You can adjust trigger, test and rest the sears manually all without firing any air. This should help you see shats going on. Also the trigger weight spring thats not mentioned in tha manual (and access for grub screw in bottom of grip) is visible and can easily be changed to a lighter spring. I changed mine to a spring from a pen and the trigger weight has gone from 2.8lbs to about 0.5lbs.
    Unfortunately mine had the trigger sears badly finished and also needed sanding with wet and dry but this is a pain and required complete disassembly og the gun.
    Good luck.
    Thank you. I have done so already but need a few hours of uninterrupted work on the pistol and it should get better.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Thank you. I have done so already but need a few hours of uninterrupted work on the pistol and it should get better.

A.G
    Although its right that you can alter the weight, I would suggest using only the trigger screws first until satisfied with the action adjustment otherwise you're altering three variables. the weight can be done later. I've done mine again to record what my settings were. Screw A. out one & a half Screw B. out one, then tweak till slack & feel is right. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.