Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springers and light pistons ...

Springers and light pistons ...

I would just like to have a question answered,
    what benefits are there in a light weight piston ??

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Faster lock time is the main one.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

less mass, so hopefully less recoil also

Surely more piston bounce too?

Not necessarily, you balance port size, spring tension/preload and piston weight, along with the pellet, end result if done properly is a fast smooth shot cycle with limited movement.

I would imagine few airgunners fully realise the vast complexities involved in the science behind airguns....

Piston weight

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Not necessarily, you balance port size, spring tension/preload and piston weight, along with the pellet, end result if done properly is a fast smooth shot cycle with limited movement.
    Well if one were Stephen Hawkin and had the time to go into the physics of air guns one would never go out with it ,one would be home all day and night rather going out and using it.

Quote Originally Posted by naffer View Post
    Well if one were Stephen Hawkin and had the time to go into the physics of air guns one would never go out with it ,one would be home all day and night rather going out and using it.
    If one wishes to get the best out of ones equipment one can pay someone who knows what he is doing or one can get off ones backside , put some effort in and actually learn something!

before you 2 start at it with the man-bags @ 5 paces i will just add a little something.
    ive tried / owned / shot probably 99% of the top-end airguns on the market today...... and probably half of all the old stuff too........ and yes some of the modern tackle can produce impressive groups, but..... untill you have owned a properly tuned/optimised springer you really have no idea of what actually achievable !
    i regularly shoot targets out to over 100 yds with sub 12 only.. on a calm day i can produce tiny pcp-like groups even beyond 80 yards........ and thats not because im a shooting god, oh hell no !!!!! in truth i am a crap shot, i cant hold a pint still never mind a 9 lb springer........ . i cant concentrate on a tiny target PLUS get my breathing calm / timed ...... [im a block, i cant multi-task] and for any position other than rested-shots i resemble a parkinsons-sufferer with asthma.... but i can still print tiny groups !!! why ? because my rifles are settup properly to do it
    in short dont be just another fool who thinks "ive bought a tx200 and the internet says its the best" without learning about why and how it can be MASSIVELY improved to shoot way way better with proper tuning
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

I can't hold a pint still either Slugger.

As soon as I attempt to hold it still, it somehow always manages to launch itself down my throat

Take care & happy boinging & pinting
    Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Mmmm,I say that's not nice

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    If one wishes to get the best out of ones equipment one can pay someone who knows what he is doing or one can get off ones backside , put some effort in and actually learn something!
    Well I think that comment was uncalled for but I now think you should have your passport taken away from you and now I will not lower my self with jokes about sheep and things but one thing I will say is ,that having a name like Bodger must say it all ,bye bye sweetly ...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'm no steve hawkin, but whilst it's hard to model, it's much easier to draw emperical conclusions to give you an insight into whether you have excessive piston bounce... the most obvious is a strong preference for lighter pellets, or big power increases when you add a relatively small amount of piston weight.

As said light weight pistons can have advantages, subject to large enough port volumes / smaller bore cylinders. I do however have a theory that the very lightweight piston/large lost volume setups, whilst low in recoil, also have a negative effect on lock time (piston start time to pellet exit time), due to the large buffering affect of that lost volume in the port delaying and reducing initial pellet acceleration. If Jamie can make the next bash we'll gather some numbers to prove / disprove that; I'm quite curious.

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by naffer View Post
    Well I think that comment was uncalled for but I now think you should have your passport taken away from you and now I will not lower my self with jokes about sheep and things but one thing I will say is ,that having a name like Bodger must say it all ,bye bye sweetly ...
    well said that old man

As above, brilliant mind the man has, it not all about Pistons, swept volumes or port size we have back pressure and piston bounce to think about ?

The few Airsporters of old , have a piston buffer that reduced this effect, easily changed when it wore out, not seen these days eh ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The merc and airsporter buffer washers server to reduce the impact at the ned of the piston's second (or third) forwards stroke (after at least one bounce), so whilst of some marginal benefit, didn't have any real affect on piston bounce.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.