Thread: Basic NV Monocular for 200

Basic NV Monocular for 200

Basic NV monocular for 200 - there are loads, which ones work best please, and stay working ?
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Hi.
    If you go digital there are lots of monoculars on the market for less than the £200 mark but it depends what you want it for . I'm sure someone will come along and suggest the sure24 unit that was heavily discounted over Xmas but as with a lot of digital monoculars field of view is very limited although picture quality and range is good . from personal use I want a spotter to give as wide a field of view as possible and digital doesn't provide me with that . For the money you are talking about I would suggest you look at the Yukon exelon gen1 monocular in either 3 or 4x mag . This unit gives you a very good 13° FOV . As I said earlier it's hard to suggest a unit without knowing what you want to use it for but as a example the Exelon will give you eyeshine off a fox to close on 200 yards ( dependant on illumination ) and you will see the fox in detail at closer ranges . I used this unit to spot rabbits and guide a shooter onto them at 17hmr ranges which meant that I needed to spot them at 100 yards + . I could easily identify and see them at 100yds and the FOV meant that I was seeing a decent amount of the land in front of me . you will get better picture quality and range from a digital monocular but it will be like your looking through a toilet roll tube making spotting very difficult . gen 1 tubed is the only way to go in your price range IMO . Hope you get sorted . atb Ricky

I did order the Sure discounted. I do know exactly what you mean my Yukon 6.5 x is very narrow on fov and focus. I guess the digital monocular will match it well. I may have bought a Yukon instead after reading your post. I also posted on NV section and the Sure got universal praise.

The whole NV thing was to be able to do some shooting in winter when short days abound. My old lamping partner is busier, kids etc, and I do about 3 different jobs now so time has become 'thinner'. I do like that with modern NV solo shooting is so easy now. It has opened up my shooting world, though I do much prefer daylight, and am thrilled to see bit of spring like light breaking through trees from time to time as Feb progresses .....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I did order the Sure discounted. I do know exactly what you mean my Yukon 6.5 x is very narrow on fov and focus. I guess the digital monocular will match it well. I may have bought a Yukon instead after reading your post. I also posted on NV section and the Sure got universal praise.

The whole NV thing was to be able to do some shooting in winter when short days abound. My old lamping partner is busier, kids etc, and I do about 3 different jobs now so time has become 'thinner'. I do like that with modern NV solo shooting is so easy now. It has opened up my shooting world, though I do much prefer daylight, and am thrilled to see bit of spring like light breaking through trees from time to time as Feb progresses .....
    I don't doubt that the sure24 unit works very well in every way other than its poor FOV . I'm not having a pop at sure24 because to my knowledge all digital monoculars fair very badly in that area compared with tubed and I'd say the best of the tubed spotters within your price range would be the exelon . it's just my opinion based on its success as a spotter and if you are hunting alone in the dark and using a 6.5 photon on your rifle then I'd suggest you might as well cut out the middle man with regard to a digital spotter and simply carry on using your rifle on its shooting sticks to spot and shoot . it seems like a waste of precious seconds to use a monocular with a similar if not worse FOV than your rifle scope then change to a digital scope for the shot . As long as you're getting out there and managing to comfortably shoot with your chosen gear that's all that matters . I'm relatively new to NV having come from a lamping background and I'm enjoying the new challenges that come with it . I haven't enjoyed some of the expensive mistakes I've made while trying to buy excellent NV on a budget because in my experience it doesn't exist and as the budget comes down allowances have to be made where expectations are concerned . Glad you got some advice from the members in the NV section . there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys there . atb Ricky

Thumbs up Nv monocular

Hi I use a bresser 5x50. Digital nv monocular its plenty powerful for air rifle use and has about the same range as my photon Yukon. I have upped the performance by fitting a t20 torch to it using the tripod mounting screw holes . best part of it is it costs me around £90 from amazon if my memory serves me right.😁
    mk2 rapid.22