Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: custom stocks Sheffield

The small take-up for HW99 stocks is sad, and I do remember lots of people saying that if they could get custom stocks for their 99s that they wouldn't hesitate. I think it was Bigtoe that had even looked into the possibility of sourcing some from Europe, but a certain minimum order number was required.

I have a Venom Vantage 77, for which the stock will have been a Custom Stocks one, and the Predator's walnut is also one of theirs.

I'd have a few more if I could justify / afford.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The trouble is, if CS go under, where else are you going to get a decent stock from at a reasonable price?

You would have thought that the amount of people who come on here asking where to get stocks from would keep them busy.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The trouble is, if CS go under, where else are you going to get a decent stock from at a reasonable price?

You would have thought that the amount of people who come on here asking where to get stocks from would keep them busy.

Pete
    Yup....and he really does give a damn.The knots that he deemed unacceptable, I actually prefer .But it shows he cares about what go's out the door ...stopped his work (on his own btw) had the Danish oil on it and spent a good 45 mins explaining the manufacturing process. Nice hand made stocks at fantastic prices .Hope it picks up .

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Yup....and he really does give a damn.The knots that he deemed unacceptable, I actually prefer .But it shows he cares about what go's out the door ...stopped his work (on his own btw) had the Danish oil on it and spent a good 45 mins explaining the manufacturing process. Nice hand made stocks at fantastic prices .Hope it picks up .
    Very true, I actually like knots in wood as it gives it character, I bought an unfinished Alder wood guitar body from a company on the bay as it was too knotty and it came out lovely, I think the CS700 is the best looking thumbhole available and one of the comfortablest to use.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    "Custom Stocks" Luv um' to bits, like.
    Now there's a nice stock.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

I had a really helpful and nice chat on the phone with one of the staff once, the only thing that annoys me with CS is if you ask them about stocks that you've seen on older springers in the past they deny ever making them for that rifle, whether it's cost effective for them to make one or two stocks for rifles not on their list, I don't know but if they do have the inlet patterns for makes like BSA's then may be it would help them if they started offering a wider fitment range (one thing you couldn't run GINB down for) or even offer a copy service to either duplicate older stocks for rifles not in production anymore (imagine being able to get a original shaped stock that was only ever made in Beech but getting it in Walnut) or have a bespoke service to fit the customers action into their current range, I'm not running them down as I think their stocks are excellent but like already said, I wouldn't want them to go under, offering other services would add another string to their bow and may be help keep them stay afloat, I just wish I had the money and the business sense a few years ago when they first came up for sale, as I would have loved to have bought them.

Pete
    I agree. I know they used to make the thumbhole stocks for the Anschutz carbines but they wouldn't supply me with one. By the same token I have a very nice left handed stock on my Bowkett HW80 that I would love to have copied for my other 80's but again no.

I don't know what machinery they have but there is a plethora of stock copying machinery on the internet so the set up costs can't be that high.

To my mind they already have the important elements to do this sort of work: Contacts, Customer service, Reputation and know how and of course good quality wood.

I know it is always easy for an outsider to tell a company what to do but...

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Now there's a nice stock.
    Yep, 'tis truly lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Again, I have received perfect service from the guy's at CS. Thing is though, for example; the new HW production stocks are much more scope friendly and actually look really good too, especially the laminate versions.

As promised ......you can clearly see this is substandard American walnut,only fit for the bin

The camera has picked the knots right out....naked eye you can hardly see them ,besides they provide character.Also as is common the camera doesn't do the grain justice...plus in reality it's quite dark walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I'm about to give them a call as I want a left handed Walnut stock for an Air Arms Pro Sport !

I know the cost will "blister me" by the time I've bought the gun but I have every confidence they will deliver and I know its the only way I'm ever going to get my hands on a Southpaw P'sport !

I will of course be able to offset some of the outlay by selling a nice brand new R/H "beech" Prosport stock on here !
    Make your own?

Great company to deal with, their products give your gun that little extra without too much extra cost.

By the way I can confirm Impact guns have CS stocks on, very nice too! Maybe more producers like Air Arms and Daystate should support them?

Yours looks nice Greenman. I like the grip cap, and the dark finish too.

I don't know why the chequered panels are so damn small recently though. They used to be bigger, and looked better for it IMHO...

Anyhoo, as a CS fan, here's a few of mine past and present:

Here's an CS500 on an HW95K. Shown along with the standard stock, that looks a bit 'pants' in comparison.

This is a CS700 from a few years ago, on a HW77.

Here's an old CS800 from 1986/7 on a Diana 52. Other side of it here.

And the CS1000 again. Which I'd be surprised if any non-target shooting types like the look of, because it's so flippin' huge!

I did have a (late 1980s?) Air Arms Shamal, in a non-thumbhole type of CS1000. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's somebody else's.

I've also never has a CS600 (tyrolean), which sadly, I don't think they make anymore (but they should?). And I can't even find a picture of one on the web.

I hope nobody thinks the above is 'showing off'. There's plenty of folks on here who have many more guns than I've ever had. I just thought pics of the various CS examples may be of interest.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Maybe more producers like Air Arms and Daystate should support them?
    They used to a few years ago, shame they still don't as that would be another British made item to go on British made rifles (now all they have to do is find a decent British barrel maker)

Pete

Yep, C S make lovely stocks at very reasonable prices. I just wish they would do the inletting to fit the LGU, there must surely be a fair bit of demand for them. I suppose the real money is in regular bulk supply to a manufacturer, not in one-offs for a few of us who like our guins to look and feel better than the makers tun them out.