Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which springer to go for?

I put a few shots through my Diana 31 compact with v mach kit (inc seal) after thinking about this thread -

It's a rifle I don't shoot much and think of selling, but crikey, smooth as silk, the TO-6 trigger is superb. Every time I pick it up and shoot it I grin, and remember why I have it -

For the money, still the, or one of the best break barrels. Simpler to strip than a 95, usually more pellet selective, better (proper) shims factory standard, trigger a tad off a Rekord, but I really like it, cheaper than a 95 ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

If you want a break-barrel then I'd say go for a Weihrauch HW80 but if you fancy a fixed barrelled rifle then i'd always recommend a Weihrauch HW77K or HW97K.
    All these rifles I have mentioned are fantastic quality guns that are extremely accurate and built to last!
    ATB in whatever you chose 👍🏻
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I put a few shots through my Diana 31 compact with v mach kit (inc seal) after thinking about this thread -

It's a rifle I don't shoot much and think of selling, but crikey, smooth as silk, the TO-6 trigger is superb. Every time I pick it up and shoot it I grin, and remember why I have it -

For the money, still the, or one of the best break barrels. Simpler to strip than a 95, usually more pellet selective, better (proper) shims factory standard, trigger a tad off a Rekord, but I really like it, cheaper than a 95 ...
    I would like someone to dismantle a 31/34 and a 95 and compare each part with each other for design
    I can't think of one part of a 95 that is CLEARLY better than a 31/34 but I can think of a fair few parts of the 31/34 that are clearly better than the 95 and that is a genuine challenge to anyone

Walther

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Walther Terruus with synthetic stock.
    Smooth out the box ( unlike others ) but even better with a Tinbum top hat in it.

Had mine tuned by Tinbum, shoots nicely as good as HW99s Ive had (tuned also) . The stock is ugly but palm swell is perfect and it shoots really nicely

For the money, still the, or one of the best break barrels..
    DO NOT SELL it, you'll regret it.

One of the rifles on my "will get one, one day" list.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninapuppy View Post
    Had mine tuned by Tinbum, shoots nicely as good as HW99s Ive had (tuned also) . The stock is ugly but palm swell is perfect and it shoots really nicely
    Have to agree, it's not as short or as good looking as a 99 , but I can't fault it's accuracy or the way it shoots.
    It was good before, but at the price of Tinbums kit I thought there was nothing to lose.
    It's now even smoother.

@ The OP

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And I'd have to reinforce the Weihrauch recommendations.

For the intended use, I'd go break barrel and say any of the 99, 95 or 80.....whichever suits you best handling and weight wise.

And come along to The Boinger Bash!!
    Sorry, I'd forgotten to mention this previously.

If you were to decide in favour of a break barrel, also put the classic HW35 on your list.

Solid and dependable.

It has the same 30mm bore as the HW80, but with a more-12ft.lbs relevant shorter stroke. The longer transfer port robs it of some efficiency, but it'll still make legal limit power. Lovely manual breech latch. It has the screw in end block, shared with the 80/77/97, as opposed to the 99/95 set-up, which is held in high esteem by HW fans.

A little more money than a 99, but cheaper than a 95.

You'll be getting a genuine piece of airgunning landmark history but with performance and accuracy to match newer designs.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thumbs up

I'd go with those that recommended the HW95, Lightweight compared to most other HW's but up to the legal limit power and more importantly, Very accurate

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 07-02-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: cuz eye karnt spel proply!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I would like someone to dismantle a 31/34 and a 95 and compare each part with each other for design
    I can't think of one part of a 95 that is CLEARLY better than a 31/34 but I can think of a fair few parts of the 31/34 that are clearly better than the 95 and that is a genuine challenge to anyone
    Diana need to make a shorter barrel, and less pellet fussy. I'm fully aware a 31/34 will hold their own with any HW, but even a compact version is a bit lengthy with mod added - they need to also make some nicer mods for the uk market, and supply with rifle as an option ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by andybrock View Post
    I want to get a non PCP air rifle that I can use for work (pest control) one that can be a grab and go rifle so I don't have to worry if it's charged etc. Just wondering what to go for really as its 20 years since I used a springer / gas ram type air gun.
    Accuracy and consistency would be vital and probably in.22.....any recommendations?
    The most accurate and probably the best of the Weirauch springers is the HW 98. Some folks don't like the custom stock appearance of it but I really do like mine in preference to the 95 and 80. I also have a TX 200 HC .22 which is a brilliant rifle and worked well out of the box but now works even better with a little drop in Top hat and Guide and also a .177 Pro sport which I think is the best looking spring air rifle ever bar none and it shoots very accurately . I have treated it to a Vortek kit though.

A.G

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Diana need to make a shorter barrel, and less pellet fussy. I'm fully aware a 31/34 will hold their own with any HW, but even a compact version is a bit lengthy with mod added - they need to also make some nicer mods for the uk market, and supply with rifle as an option ....
    Are you sure that you would like the barrel much shorter than this
    http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...psa52efa73.jpg

I think that both the hw95 and 31/34 can't be relied on to be out of the box guns, it would be interesting to see if there was any difference in accuracy if both had a equal tune, but what I am saying is that the Diana 34 has a better overall construction design if you compare it with a hw95.
    I would like to see a fair head to head in performance though

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    andybrock,

For me an Air Arms TX200 every time
    What he said. The AA TX200 is the best 'out of the box' air-rifle made and possibly the most accurate on average. If you want a break-barrel then TonyL's recommendation of a modern HW35 is the one to go for.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 07-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Hw99 or hw95 both very good

I had a .22 Diana 280 K from the factory it was awful Sandwell tune transformed it. When i got it had no grease any where to be seen and was dry as a bone , went on Diana group (USA) forum apparently its fairly common, once it was tuned it was great , prior to tune it was no where good as a HW95 or similar. I liked it post tune , very accurate , pre tune it was a dog . I might have been unlucky with mine but as per the US Forum it appaers they need some TLC from the box to get them shooting to thier full potential??

.22 HW99 with a basic tune is the real deal. The hype, for once, was legit. Shockingly low recoil for a 6 1/2 lb gun. I'm using the factory spring on synthetic guides and a Maccari hornet seal. I had to reprofile cocking link to fix internal galling which developed after 400 shots, but was fully expecting to have to do so and the results are worth the minor investment in time, money. Well worth a punt if you're into basic tinkering.