Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle safe

Air Rifle safe

Hi,

I would like to know how you keep your air rifles safely. I have been looking at gun safes and they don't seem to be deep enough to hold my rifles with scopes. I need room for at least 5 scoped rifles, HW , Daystate, BSA, AA, Weirauch.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

A.G

Send them to me and i'll store them in a good place
    nil satis nisi optimum

Quote Originally Posted by CLASH View Post
    Send them to me and i'll store them in a good place
    You should know better. None can be sent by mail.

A.G

I bought mine a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be able to take four rifles....when it arrived I struggled to get more than two in it. With a bit of messing about I managed to get it to take three with scopes. I did this by turning the rifles 90 degrees and putting them in sideways - two to the right, with a third (the middle one) to the left. It means if I want to use the first rifle in the safe then I have to remove the other two so I can get at it!
    Currently I only have two rifles, so it's not too much of a problem at the mo!
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Most of the big safe manufacturers sell extra deep models for scoped rifles. The problem is usually the width. A scoped rifle usually takes up about two spaces designed for non scoped guns. i.e. 8 gun cabinet, 4 scoped rifles.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    I bought mine a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be able to take four rifles....when it arrived I struggled to get more than two in it. With a bit of messing about I managed to get it to take three with scopes. I did this by turning the rifles 90 degrees and putting them in sideways - two to the right, with a third (the middle one) to the left. It means if I want to use the first rifle in the safe then I have to remove the other two so I can get at it!
    Currently I only have two rifles, so it's not too much of a problem at the mo!
    That is what I thought. I am looking at Brattonsound RD7+ Extra deep. I think that depth wise it may just be ok but I doubt if I could get more than 4 rifles in there.

A.G

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    4 sounds about right. Any scope with target style turrets take up more room.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Gun safes sound a bit like tents. A three man tent is a comfortable two man, a four man is really a three man etc etc

I reckon that if I really had to then I could get four in mine...but each of them would certainly sustain an element of damage, not least from the heavy duty locking devices. I'm working on getting my FAC and have got a circa 1942 Lee Enfield in mind, together with something slightly smaller for target work up to 300yds. Therefore my safe will be occupied by these two weapons, and the air rifles will find an alternative storage method.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

It all depends on the scopes, if you have wide side-wheel scopes, like me, then a 6 gun safe will easily take 4 rifles with 10mm or so clearance between them once you have made up a new barrel divider, as it happens I've just put my 6 gun in sales having bought an 8 rifle safe to take another rifle & wide scope.

I was lucky enough to pick up a four gun safe from an old gent around the corner for £20 (it's amazing what what you can find advertised on the old post office pinboard). It is only just deep enough for the scoped rifles though.

Damian

Safes

Hi

I have a Brattonsound. Sorry but I cannot see a model number on it.
    The dimensions are: 405 w x 345D x 1305 H.
    It has seven rifle slots and comfortably holds my five scoped rifles some of which have 4" side wheels.
    Also has space above moderators for a valuables shelf which I fitted.

It depends on the airguns - gun cabinets (except the cheap airguns specific ones on the market) are designed for shotguns, and the extra deep ones for scoped rifles. Except many air rifles are wider than fullbore rifles, so they become a very tight squeeze.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    A small built in wardrobe, I just put a decent integrated bolt lock into the door for security and it holds loads of stuff.

James

I bought a secondhand 4 gun shotgun safe and eventually extended it to make it about 310mm deep. It holds 3 guns with sidewheel scopes but is only just deep enough for the custon stocks.
    Doing the job, filling it and painting it took 3 evenings and cost £12 ish in metal. The heat of the welding crinkled the sides a bit but doing the job entertained me. Next time I would probably hold out for a wider cabinet that was at least 330mm deep.
    Before extending the cabinet I found that laying guns in sideways meant that the one that I wanted was always buried and getting to it just increased the chance of causing cabinet rash.