Thread: Thoughts on new air rifle purchase? Decisions...

Thoughts on new air rifle purchase? Decisions...

I'm looking at buying a new rifle. Not because I need one, simply because I fancy buying one. And because I haven't bought one in a very long time.

I'm only looking at new rifles at the moment, for reasons I can divulge later if need be.

I would like to buy something I've not owned or tried before. I have a couple of a springers (BSA/Webley) and have used other springers from these makers in the past. So I essentially want to buy a 'not' a springer or at least something different to the regular .177 or .22 offerings out there. I also see the appeal of owning something, shall we say somewhat more modern in design and feel. So synthetic stocks and like appeal for this purchase.

Budget isn't 100% fixed and I see there is quite a choice of guns from as little as £150. Although £200-380 is what I had in mind.

I don't have any particular use in mind for the gun. I'm not a hunter, so it'll be used purely for fun, which could include shooting tin cans or targets. That said, I would expect any such purchase to be as accurate and reliable as my .177 BSA Meteor is.

Not fussed on a scope either way.

Currently I'm considering these two and would welcome some feedback or views from anyone who has owned or shot these.

1. Remington ThunderCeptor .22

+ I've never owned or even shot a gas ram powered airgun before. So this appeals on this level. I also like the look and the built in baffle. The low noise/report and smooth action also appeal.

- Not too sure if it's heavier than what I'll like. Typically I shoot standing in a non resting position. Also unsure how it really differs to the Remington ThunderJet, as finding detailed stats out online has proven more difficult than I'd have thought. On that note, the main Remington site makes no mention of either of these rifles...

2. Hatsan Dominator Synthetic .25

+ The biggest appeal here is the .25 calibre. I understand it's limitations with Non-FAC power levels. But it still appeals as again, I've never owned or shot such an airgun before. And I imagine at open sight ranges it's probably quite effective at decimating tin cans and 2 litre Coke bottles. I also like the look of this gun.

- Weight is a concern again, the stats I've seen online claim this weighs 4.5kg. Which seems heavy to me. I also don't know how this compares to other .25 offerings. I see Hatsan also do the 1000S and the Sniper 125 in .25 calibre, although as I understand it, the 1000S uses a different trigger. Also, is a .25 with <12 ft-lb really going to be a bit of let down?

Other musings:

PCP's sound great in principle, but are a price category too high to consider. As I don't have any of the supporting equipment for one.

Co2's could be a contender, although I do already own a Crosman 2260. But I have looked at the Umarex 850 Magnum. Which I like apart from the auto safety. And it's maybe somewhat pricey compared to the guns I've listed above.

I've also looked at the Walther Winchester Lever Action rifles. They look great, but are pretty much the most expensive guns I've considered thus far and worry they might be a little too much gimmicky and toy like for the price, i.e. look better than they perform. If they where sub £200 it'd be a different story. And for this purchase I think I'd prefer not to buy .177 calibre. Not that I have anything against .177's, I don't. But I do like the punch the larger pellets offer.
    Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 06-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Well, the Remington is a Chinese build of the Gamo clone (look at the smk xs19 and then hammerli 550, Benjamin trail, NP etc, etc). The major criticism of these is the creepy trigger (aftermarket options are available, it's just a pity you have to buy an improvement on a new rifle). The dominators are heavy, but what fixed barrel underlevers aren't? (thinking of HW77/97 and tx200). If you shop around these Dominators can be picked up new pretty cheaply. I'm not sure about .25" in sub 12fpe, though comments seem to limit effective range to approx 25yds. If you're choosing a Hatsan, I'd stick to one with the Quattro trigger (I've owned both trigger types).

I also like the look of the Dominator but hated the tx200 I had so will avoid another under-lever.

I had a Striker .25, 22yd zero, +/- 0.5"pbr from 9-28yds with marksman 18.6gn pellets, yes quite heavy but designed as an FAC rifle, however the trigger is poor (but what do we expect at that price ?) so I'd go for the Sniper with the Quattro trigger.
    You can also get all Hatsan springers with a gas ram option although they do cost a bit more.

Hello

As the Remington Thundercats (pictured) looks a little bit like the AI sniper rifle, and IF you're possibly looking down the 'military look' road:

How about the new(ish) to the UK Crosman MTR77, that looks almost exactly a bit like a Vietnam era M-16 but is a Nitro Piston (gas ram) break barrel air rifle. UK new price in the dealers is £200 - £240 last time I looked.

You'll want the NPC version with the carry handle inc rear sight, as the one supplied with a cheap scope instead of the carry handle, looks relatively rubbish. Although, I've noticed one UK supplier selling it as a 'kit' with both the (detachable) handle and the scope.

Or, there's the Crosman multi-pump guns. One of which looks like a modern M4. Half the UK price of the MTR77, and probably half the weight. Crosman multi-pumps are generally a bit 'toy like' to be fair.

HTH, although I could be way off base...

Thanks, will take a look at the MTR77 as I didn't know about that. The pumps don't really appeal. I appreciate they exist, but seem like far too much time pumping them up rather than shooting.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Got quite a collection already there (sig) did you get them all this week ? You only had one rifle on the other side ?

Did you decide against a Benjamin Trail in the end ?
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

Go for a air arms s410 in .22 if its plinking your after. .177 for hunting. They do carbine versions to.

My first thought was a Hatsan .25, that said my money would be on a HW' What about one of them stainless hw97, they are not stainless steel. I seen a bright stainless looking hw 50 on a German web site. What about a custom.....SFS imp.

Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post

2. [B]Hatsan Dominator Synthetic .25
    Hello again. Funnily enough I bought a Dominator from the last unsold lots sale at Holt's. Now they seem to have got a temporary replacement to TNT, I'm expecting it to be delivered to my RFD soon. It's not synthetic and it's not .25, but I'll let you know what I make of it...

Finally collected the Dominator last night from the RFD. Not scoped it yet, but initial impression is it's a bit of a beast...
    More to folow as and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.B. View Post
    Got quite a collection already there (sig) did you get them all this week ? You only had one rifle on the other side ?

Did you decide against a Benjamin Trail in the end ?
    Some new additions, of which some arrived yesterday. However the ones in my sig when you posted before are guns owned for many years. Some jointly owned with my brother. Most since the 1990's.

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post
    Some new additions, of which some arrived yesterday. However the ones in my sig when you posted before are guns owned for many years. Some jointly owned with my brother. Most since the 1990's.
    Oh , of course carry on .... Oh piston heads miss you
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to