Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock re finish

Stock re finish

Who is the best to refinish a tx stock, I want it as near original finish as possible

the beech stocks are laquered and the walnut is an oiled finish, so totaly different if you want it original

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsman View Post
    the beech stocks are laquered and the walnut is an oiled finish, so totaly different if you want it original
    Exactly what he said.
    If you can't do it or don't want to have a go just pop round to a local re-finisher/ furniture repair shop.
    If you want it to look new you could buy a stock from one of the lads who have replaced with a custom stock.

I got hold of a tatty, repaired stock, and have added an adjustable cheek piece , I would like it re finished , its beech

Tinted lacquer Nick. Sprayed on.

There is plenty of advise on finishing beech stocks on here - if you can fit an adjustable cheack piece it should be straight forward and a lot cheaper for you

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I got hold of a tatty, repaired stock, and have added an adjustable cheek piece , I would like it re finished , its beech
    Hello Nick
    If you are going to have a go there is some good clips on you tube. why not have a go, what have you got to loose ?.
    I am not sure what you know and would not want to offend you.
    Beach is a very light colour so the factory use a tinted lacquer that is sprayed onto the stock.
    Basically it is coloured varnish in simple terms.
    Has the stock got anything on it or has it been striped back.

J have spraying gear as used to spray my own cars , so I am ok with finishing things , problem is two pack, is it still toxic, and where will I get the correct tinted lacquer ?

J have spraying gear as used to spray my own cars , so I am ok with finishing things , problem is two pack, is it still toxic, and where will I get the correct tinted lacquer ?
    OK Nick get it to the point where you have just done the last clean with a tac cloth then you have some options.
    You don't have to spray it, and there is a few ways to go.
    At this point the beach stock will look very light in colour so if it was furniture you would colour the wood with wood dye.
    Water based dyes are good because they don't become loose when other coats of finish are applied. This lets you decide if you want to make it darker or use some 0000 grade wire wool to take it down a bit.

Maybe get some inspiration from here: http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/index.ph...nt=10&offset=0

I once had a MK2 TX with water damage to the stock. Stripping the finish, it was incredible how thick and dark the lacquer was. Covering up all sorts of knots and wood filler, that wasn't visible through the lacquer.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 06-02-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Maybe some ideas / info from here: http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/index.ph...nt=10&offset=0

I once had a MK2 TX with water damage to the stock. Stripping the finish, it was incredible how thick and dark the lacquer was. Covering up all sorts of knots and wood filler, that wasn't visible through the lacquer.
    It's a good point that, you don't know that's under that lacquer but strip it back anyway as there are ways of graining to disguise it to look like it should be there.
    Also you don't have to take the spray it route, you could mix gel dye with wood oil and rub it in.

Try rothko and frost.
    They have dyes you can add to your lacquer as well
    Donald

Get it all prepped and it will all fall into place.
    If you need to strip off the lacquer, get some large cling film ready.
    Cover the stock with paint striper then wrap it up in the cling film, this will allow the striper to work better.

Good info. so far. Thanks from us watchers.
    I always put smaller items in a bin bag. Easier to re use if more coats of stripper needed.

Nick, give Shaun at ISP a shout, he does beech refinishing. He recently refinished a HW80 beech stock and I couldn't tell it from original.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation