Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on first pistol

Advice on first pistol

Hi all my daughter and I are intrested in target shooting,whats a good starter pistol for both of us to use.i have a old Webley scott junior needs new breech seal could may be swap if any ones intrested,i can email pics

How old is yr daughter?
    Tau 7 junior
    Spa (its called differently here).
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Paul

Don't buy any thing, my best advice is that both you and your daughter join a target club (ideally a 10 mt club), the NSRA can advise, use club guns, see what its all about, get coaching, see what others use, try them if possible.

When you are ready to buy you will know what will suit you best.

Best of Luck
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

What Pistol

IZH 46 are a very nice SSP pistol to shoot, so no need for divers bottle etc and I believe sportsman Guncentre have them for £275
    For that money you cant go wrong
    I have one and it shoots sweet

What Pistol

Upon reflection probably a bit hard to load and quite a large gun for your daughter

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Paul

Don't buy any thing, my best advice is that both you and your daughter join a target club (ideally a 10 mt club), the NSRA can advise, use club guns, see what its all about, get coaching, see what others use, try them if possible.

When you are ready to buy you will know what will suit you best.

Best of Luck
    Robin
    Good advise, I see so many people at my club buying pistols and rifles that are just not suitable. Go along to a club and try a few, many clubs with also have a pistol or riffle to use before you spend ya hard earned cash. There is no definitive answer to your question unfortunately, Morini shooters will tell you Morini, Steyr shooters will tell you Steyr etc etc, the only way to determine which gun is best for you is shoot some, the one that feels comfortable and produces the best scores for you is the one to go for.
    ATB
    Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Many thanks,daughters 12

A pistol which is a good introduction to pistol shooting is a beeman P17 pistol (£59). It is inexpensive, accurate and light enough for your daughter to be able to hold. Going to a club and trying pistols is a good idea before spending serious money on a good pistol but practice is very important so I would buy a starter pistol and then if and when you know its for you buy a good pistol. According to what I have read the Lov21 is also another good starter pistol but needs Co2, costs more (£93)and won't probably be available at your local gunshop.
    buying a cheap pistol is not wasted money as it will always be a fun pistol to plink with.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

My daughter (12) and I recently started target shooting, I bought a Beeman P17 before I knew there was a club near me. I've been taking the Beeman along and it holds its own quite well, a decent amount of power for not much money. The cocking mechanism is to tough for my daughter to manage but she has now moved on to rifles and is hooked on those!

I like the simplicity of the Beeman, its good fun to shoot and I'm starting to get some nice results though I am already looking to upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    How old is yr daughter?
    Tau 7 junior
    Spa (its called differently here).
    12 years old

Quote Originally Posted by tomanyhobbies View Post
    My daughter (12) and I recently started target shooting, I bought a Beeman P17 before I knew there was a club near me. I've been taking the Beeman along and it holds its own quite well, a decent amount of power for not much money. The cocking mechanism is to tough for my daughter to manage but she has now moved on to rifles and is hooked on those!

I like the simplicity of the Beeman, its good fun to shoot and I'm starting to get some nice results though I am already looking to upgrade!
    if you decide to sell let me know

I have had the Weihrauch version of the Beeman, the HW40 for several years and it is excellent informal target pistol. Light and accurate.

I don't know what the difference is between the Beeman and the Weihrauch as they look identical apart from the price!

Gareth
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86). Ah well, that just leaves incest...

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Trouble is theres probably a world of difference between a 12yr old girl's pinkies and your bunch of sausages - so whats comfortable for one won't suit the other or will be a compromise and so uncomfortable for both.
    Net result : one or both get discouraged...

Robin's advice is sound and is a perfect opportunity to see what suits best and get some good advice and a positive start in the best environment.
    If you have to, it's worth travelling to do this as it'll certainly be lot cheaper than buying unwisely.

Anyone know any target clubs around Hull?

Quote Originally Posted by paulwhite View Post
    if you decide to sell let me know
    Will do Paul, I'm looking at some other pistols at the weekend so will know hopefully by then if the Beeman will be up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tomanyhobbies View Post
    Will do Paul, I'm looking at some other pistols at the weekend so will know hopefully by then if the Beeman will be up for sale.
    ok many thanks