Thread: Competition Pistols - Barrel cleaning

Competition Pistols - Barrel cleaning

How often should you clean the barrel on a competition pistol and what should you use, pull through or cleaning pellets?

Hi,

I used to use cleaning pellets in mine. Less chance of damaging the crown that way. A lubed felt pellet before you put the pistol away is usually enough to keep the barrel clean and a more substantial clean by shooting a few pellets until they come out clean every couple of tins of pellets.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Pull through after every session for me.

Ok, A lubed pellet or a pull through....any recommendations on the cleaning fluid to be used?

Gursh,

I use Finish Line PTFE or Ceramic grease on mine (VFG felts, both pull through and shoot through felts), as I prefer a thin layer of grease to be left in the barrel to prevent corrosion (my house is very old & cold, with no central heating ).

Any 'good' oil should do the trick (BreakFree CLP etc.). In fact 3in1 would do the job

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I've used Napier oil and Parker Hale oil on mine. The trick is to use a drop and not overdo it.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you all for your comments.