Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms P1911 with Gamo LEAD BBs

Swiss Arms P1911 with Gamo LEAD BBs

Hello
    Has anyone tried this, and does it work ? I was told that the GAMO lead BB's are EXACTLY .177 (4.5mm) and steel BB's are actually 4.4mm so there's a chance of jams.

I general I don't like BB's as they bounce all over the place often in a dangerous and unpredictable manner.
    It just seemed like a BB which would deform on impact was the obvious solution.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    I think most of the semi autos use a magnet to hold the bb before firing.

The Gamo lead bbs are too large for most automatics to cycle properly. The H&N copper coated lead work well.

There is a magnet on some guns but not on the KWC 1911 models.

If you find BB's are bouncing about you need a different backstop, old carpet, cardboard boxes full of rags, wet MDF that has swollen or if you are using a metal pellet trap, stuff loose wrags into it.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

+1 on the H&N copper coated lead BB's. They are the correct size, same as steel ones.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    The Gamo lead bbs are too large for most automatics to cycle properly. The H&N copper coated lead work well.

There is a magnet on some guns but not on the KWC 1911 models.

If you find BB's are bouncing about you need a different backstop, old carpet, cardboard boxes full of rags, wet MDF that has swollen or if you are using a metal pellet trap, stuff loose wrags into it.
    Hello david, ill just echo what blooregard said really, dont use gamo lead ball, they are a bit too large, soft and an inconsistent size for the semi-autos like the KWC 1911 etc., also the magazine spring on the 1911 magazine are very strong so your find the bottom and top gamo lead ball can get deformed, giving yet another chance for cycling problems.

If rebounds is an issue for you, use H&N copper coated lead BB's are are the correct size and will minimize rebounds..

you can get H&N copper coated lead BB's from , or solware, or a fellow member on umarexboysclub..

If your paper punching / target shooting make your own trap, build a box from wood, stick a bit of lead at the back for a backstop, if you cant get a lead sheet, use carpet or a foot mat, then put a folded t-shirt on top of that giving it a soft surface, then fill the rest of the box will pillow wadding, that will stop any rebound with any ammo, its what i use for indoor shooting..

Here are some pictures..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF1181.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF0445.jpg

Just in case you want to see it, here is my fully mirror polished and engraved colt custom 1911, its started off as a swiss arms 1911, but you would not think so.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF0544.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF0546.jpg

Happy Shooting.
    ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

My trap for safe shooting Swiss Arms P1911

Homemade wooden trap to take downloaded A4 card targets with two curtains which are folded over hessian backed carpet and they swing freely on wooden pins one behind the other. Pistols don't get even near the second one. Eventually they'll wear but are cheaply and easily replaced. It stops the dreaded BBS dead and silently in their tracks, but thanks for the advice. I'd post a pic but the forum doesn't seem to allow it ?

Thanks, I'll try the copper coated lead BBs. I've taken the advice of another thread and have always fired the P1911 with only 7 BBs per clip since day one and so far not a single jam. I'm looking to get additional clips to "slam" in and carry on shooting.

Anyone advise on the best price online ?

Anyone else tried the wooden grips from the guy on ? Worth it ?

I've really taken to this gun. In general I've no time for "blowback" but in this case I make an exception as its so much fun with the working slide. I love the way it "pegs back" when the clip is empty just like the real thing and the grip safety, it's so good. It deserves to be popular and is.

Through more luck than judgement I managed to get one with a minimum of slide lettering so it looks even more realistic, and paid only £96 for it so feeling I've done quite well. At 6 yards it's also surprised me with its consistency and accuracy.

I'm going to do a test to determine how many 7 shot clips I can fire from a single CO2 cartridge, but I'm guessing around 10. I'll post the results if anyone's interested.

david once you read my last post, check out my youtube channel, your find some interesting and helpful videos on the 1911, and a video about fitting real 1911 grips and that too mate.

lol your going to love my one of a kind 1911,
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by David22 View Post

In general I've no time for "blowback" but in this case I make an exception as its so much fun with the working slide.
    This is something I've never understood, why do people want replicas of a semi-auto that are not semi-auto!?!?! Generally blowbacks are all the same amount of fun, it only becomes a gimmick on the pellet shooting blowbacks where it doesn't do much. Non blowbacks are rarely anything more than a mediocre airgun with a bad trigger and a party dress on.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Polished version

Marc, that's so good ! Great work !

Cheers mate, i cant take all the credit though, its my pride and joy pistol thats for sure..

Will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    david once you read my last post, check out my youtube channel, your find some interesting and helpful videos on the 1911, and a video about fitting real 1911 grips and that too mate.

lol your going to love my one of a kind 1911,
    Thanks. I notice you list the Berreta 92. Would appreciate your views on that. Other posts seem to suggest the 8 wheel Umarex pellet guns aren't much good, but I was thinking about the Umarex 1911 Government (big 1911 fan) but as I have a S&W 586 so not sure, other than for curiosities sake I need another "wheel" pistol. Do you prefer the Beretta from these 3 (1911, CP88 and Beretta 92) ?

The range I go to doesn't allow BB pistols but it's great to take a break from my rifle, wind in the target to 10m and blast a couple of ten round clips from the S&W, and it's a real conversation starter with my fellow shooters !
    Last edited by David22; 10-02-2016 at 09:51 PM.

As you spotted it in my list ill show you it mate, its had a face lift too.
    (got a lot more then in that list but cant fit them all in lol)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1255.jpg

Yes i really like the Umarex beretta 92fs, i do agree with blooregard that these pistols are not really true replicas, but thats the only bad thing i have to say about my beretta if im honest, very good quality, great weight, great accuracy with the right pellet, and spares are available. My beretta 92fs is 12 years old now and still going strong, although it is the older glossy version apparently they had better quality then newer versions, the only thing i have never had to replace was the pawl and that was last year, its seen more pellets then i can count lol..

Accuracy wise, it can compete with a target pistol up to 20ft easily, this is what my beretta groups like this was at a 6 yard comp, but i cant say they all do this.. (but they are known to be quite accurate.)
    left target is free standing two hand, left target is one handed..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCF1178.jpg

Some say the trigger pull are not great, and yeah they do not have a trigger pull like our kwc 1911 or a target pistol but if the pellets are correctly seated in single action the trigger pull on the beretta and cp88 is not bad at all, its not so nice on the umarex 1911a1 though, same goes for the cp99 thats dont have a nice trigger pull, could be the worst out the lot..

I have the umarex 1911a1 here as well, and if im honest im not keen on it very much out of the box, they feel a bit crunchy if that makes sence, the grip safety is way to crunchy and tiff, it does not feel like out kwc 1911 ones or the real thing either thats for sure, the double layered trigger i dont like, sticks out too much and does not feel nice, really im im totally honest it does not feel like a 1911 should feel like, but its quite accurate, but also all of the umarex pistols do shot a little high of POA, my beretta and the 1911a1 shots about 1'' high at 20ft, but they all do that but i dont find that to be a big issue at all, its easy to adjust the point of aim, just use half the front sight..

If i was to put the umarex guns in order of what i prefer, (not including the 586 - 686) it would go like this,, beretta 92fs, Cp88, 1911a1, CP99,
    personally i would get a beretta or cp88, if my beretta ever died to the point of no repair, i would 100% replace it, i cant say that about other guns in my collection.. This is only my personal opinion though mate, not everyone will agree..

Hope this helps a bit mate.
    ATB, Marc..

I have the Beretta also. Bought min new in 1999 (still have the receipt).

I agree it's not a 100% replica, but it still looks rather like the real thing.

It is very heavy... I believe heavier than the real one oddly. And almost all metal apart from the barrel shroud and grips.

Mine shoots well too, although I suspect mine hasn't seen the same amount of action as Marc's has. The only issue I've had, is last winter the front site (which is also plastic) broke off. I spent ages looking for a replacement to no avail. But did eventually find the accessory rail instead, so bought that and mounted a red dot on it. I have since found somewhere claiming to have the front site, but it's about £10 + shipping. Which seems rather a lot of a 1cm bit of straight plastic.
    Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 11-02-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fat fingers... 1999, not 1991
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton View Post
    I have the Beretta also. Bought min new in 1991 (still have the receipt).

I agree it's not a 100% replica, but it still looks rather like the real thing.

It is very heavy... I believe heavier than the real one oddly. And almost all metal apart from the barrel shroud and grips.

Mine shoots well too, although I suspect mine hasn't seen the same amount of action as Marc's has. The only issue I've had, is last winter the front site (which is also plastic) broke off. I spent ages looking for a replacement to no avail. But did eventually find the accessory rail instead, so bought that and mounted a red dot on it. I have since found somewhere claiming to have the front site, but it's about £10 + shipping. Which seems rather a lot of a 1cm bit of straight plastic.
    HI mate, it's strange that your outta barrel/ barrel shroud and front sight is plastic, I have never heard that before, mine are metal and everyone else's I know are metal too.. I have polished mine to a mirror finish..
    My friend is a gun Smith and has worked on a huge amount of these and fully polished many too..

Also all the new versions you buy today are full Metal only apart from the grips..

Also the front sight is hooked by the barrel so very hard to come out you have to partly remove the barrel to remove the sight.. I wonder if you have a different model, i think you have..

ATB, marc..
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 11-02-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    I wonder if you have a different model, i think you have..

ATB, marc..
    I'll take some pics tonight and post a link. I could of course be wrong.

Mine is a Umarex, came in a green plastic carry case with foam insert and lower half cut to the shape of the pistol, with removable sections if you have the compensator. Also cut outs for a spare Co2 and a tin of pellets. Came with a cleaning brush/rod also.