Thread: Anyone else use lead BB's?

Anyone else use lead BB's?

Recently got my first BB gun and didn't really fancy using steel BB's in it. Mostly due to lack of mass and high tendency to ricochet. For example I don't tend to shoot alloy or steel pellets in my pellet guns for the same reasons. So after much research I opted for H&N copper coated lead BB's, which are slightly smaller than some other lead BB's, so should in theory work fine as a steel BB replacement.

Have to say I'm impressed with them. They seem to be accurate, the pistol seems to operate perfectly fine with them. They "splat" nicely in the target trap and don't come firing back at you. And they seem to perform as well as my co2 pellet pistol does.

I have to wonder why I'd want to use steel BB's ever?

Anyone else opted for lead over steel in their BB guns?
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Steel BBs much cheaper and don't poison your wife's vegetable garden.
    Last edited by gingernut; 08-02-2016 at 10:40 AM.

I have found on my Umarex Colt SAA shells that I have used Umarex steel bb's with, when I used a copper coated steel bb of another brand they would just fall straight through the shell,so obviously a smaller diameter than the Umarex variety!

I imagine the smaller copper coated lead bb's would not suit these shells either?

I can't see why anyone would want to use BBs at all.

They're shite.

(Runs, and hides...!)

Steel BB's are really only supposed to be used in smoothbore barrels.

Lead BB's perform best in rifled barrels (such as the Makarov MP-654). The problem with Lead BB's they can deform in magazines if the spring tension is too high, which can then lead to loading issues
    Last edited by richierich; 08-02-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    Ex-Airgunner

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have found on my Umarex Colt SAA shells that I have used Umarex steel bb's with, when I used a copper coated steel bb of another brand they would just fall straight through the shell,so obviously a smaller diameter than the Umarex variety!

I imagine the smaller copper coated lead bb's would not suit these shells either?
    I use the H&n copper coated lead BB's in my peacemaker and Dan Wesson just fine mate it's my ammo of choice for the revolvers.. They are the same size asg the umarex and asg blasters silver zinc coated BBs..

I think it was me that told you to stop using the copper coated steel BBs in your peacemaker wasn't it? You was either using the Remington copper coated steel BBs or the big clear with blue lid tub of unbranded copper coated steel BBs which are known for there poor quality and inconsistent size..

HI rich hope your well mate, which the new h&n copper coated lead BB's they are double copper coated so quite a bit harder then the gamo lead balls so don't tend to deform in the magazines as much if at all really. As you know the Kwc 1911 has one of the strongest bb follower magazine springs around and when I did try the H&N's in my 1911s they did not tent and seemed to work just fine. Although POI was slightly low because of the extra weight.
    But in the true semi-autos like the 1911 etc, the umarex zinc coated steel BBs are still my ammo of choice.. But in the revolvers it's the H&N's..

300bhn/ton, so yes mate your not alone in using the h&n copper coated lead BB's, although they are not cheap a.
    I know a few guys on umarexboysclub and their gun clubs do not allowed the use of steel BBs so have to use lead BB's or pellet so these are ideal for them too..

My local gun club though is mainly a live round cartridge firearms club but does also have an airgun room, but they don't mind what the use of steel BBS..
    Happy shooting.
    ATB Marc
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 08-02-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

I used to use gamo lead ball ammo in my P99 compact but you had to sit and sort a tin first as they were all different sizes. I would get half a tin of useable ammo out of a tin. Then one of the guys in the club gave me some shotgun shot I think it's number 12 and it's great for bb pistols so try to get some of that.

Bill
    AA S200T 10m , HW100T, Cometa 220, Diana 27, Original Mod 6, Gamo compact+center, Rohm twinmaster Top, S&W 586/4+6+8, Berretta 92 airsoft, Blinged crossman 2240, CP88 4", CO2 Uzi 6mm, Air arms Alfa proj .177, Drulov DU10 .177, HW 99s, Hammarelli AP20pro

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    I use the H&n copper coated lead BB's in my peacemaker and Dan Wesson just fine mate it's my ammo of choice for the revolvers.. They are the same size asg the umarex and asg blasters silver zinc coated BBs..

I think it was me that told you to stop using the copper coated steel BBs in your peacemaker wasn't it? You was either using the Remington copper coated steel BBs or the big clear with blue lid tub of unbranded copper coated steel BBs which are known for there poor quality and inconsistent size..

HI rich hope your well mate, which the new h&n copper coated lead BB's they are double copper coated so quite a bit harder then the gamo lead balls so don't tend to deform in the magazines as much if at all really. As you know the Kwc 1911 has one of the strongest bb follower magazine springs around and when I did try the H&N's in my 1911s they did not tent and seemed to work just fine. Although POI was slightly low because of the extra weight.
    But in the true semi-autos like the 1911 etc, the umarex zinc coated steel BBs are still my ammo of choice.. But in the revolvers it's the H&N's..

300bhn/ton, so yes mate your not alone in using the h&n copper coated lead BB's, although they are not cheap a.
    I know a few guys on umarexboysclub and their gun clubs do not allowed the use of steel BBs so have to use lead BB's or pellet so these are ideal for them too..

My local gun club though is mainly a live round cartridge firearms club but does also have an airgun room, but they don't mind what the use of steel BBS..
    Happy shooting.
    ATB Marc

No,not me, Marc,I just tried the once with copper coated bb's and as they didn't fit I never even fired one of them.It seems the synthetic insert in which the bb's seat in the base of the shell will take a 'set' to the size of the larger bb being used.I like the Umarex bb's they perform very well in my SAA and I will stick with them.

ATB.

HI mate ahh must have been someone else..
    Yeah I really like umarex zinc coated steel BBs as well I used them in all my airguns apart from the SAA's and Dan Wessons.
    Happy shooting
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..