Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling HR81 .177

Sterling HR81 .177

Is this classed as a collectable?

hr

imo yes

Hr81

I would suggest it is and I suspect many would also. Particularly in the smaller calibre due to the trend back in the day for a mans calibre
    Dave

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It is by me.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

A member of our club owns a new,unused, boxed example that he regards as part of his pension fund .

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Interesting guns, but best not actually fired... sounds like a car crash
    I'd say defo collectable
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Definitely, according to the cannot fail test that I cordially disliked them for years but have recently found myself thinking that it might be nice to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Definitely, according to the cannot fail test that I cordially disliked them for years but have recently found myself thinking that it might be nice to have one.
    I just found my original one last weekend in pieces in a box. All complete. I bought it new in 1982. Got packed away in 1990 when I moved (so took it out of its stock).....
    .... Looks in really good condition....

How much are they really worth? [I know... I know... Pictures! - will put it back together at the weekend]
    Meanwhile, possible value?

Every one wants them to sell for £180-£300, but they don't. The best have walnut stocks and worthy of a premium.
    Many collectors already have their example or never going to have one, so the market is really for everyone else. Thats where the trouble starts as they are marmite. They don't compete with a HW77 and are heavy. Its trying to find a buyer thats the problem; which is why, I guess, no one has jumped to answer your question.

So £120??? for a nice example. Mint £200.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Every one wants them to sell for £180-£300, but they don't. The best have walnut stocks and worthy of a premium.
    Many collectors already have their example or never going to have one, so the market is really for everyone else. Thats where the trouble starts as they are marmite. They don't compete with a HW77 and are heavy. Its trying to find a buyer thats the problem; which is why, I guess, no one has jumped to answer your question.

So £120??? for a nice example. Mint £200.

Happy to be proved wrong.

I agree.. but maybe a little more - £150 - £230. The fact remains that whilst quite unnusual and interesting, they are also quite modern and a bit crap
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I paid £200 for a mint .22 from a shop in Norfolk around 5 years ago, FYI.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Stirling was very nicely finished and an immensely strong air-rifle. The design was deeply flawed though, I think the basic mistake of making the compressed air go around corners lead to all the other ones. An unbalanced, top-heavy, inefficient result was inevitable. With the built-in inefficiency came the heavy springing and heavy piston to make the power, as did the strong but rudimentary trigger. It would probably make a nice PCP conversion like the BSA Spitfire or Firebird.

Mine had the worst galling at the top/back of the compression chamber ever, looked like butter rucked up by a knife, but I think this was down to a complete lack of lubrication.

Definitely a collector's item, partly becaue of the rarity, partly because of the unusual design, and partly because while you might want to collect one, you won't be wanting to shoot it very often.

Such a sad effort on the part of British Industry, it was supposed to be a HW80, Feinwerkbau Sport and Diana 45 killer, but could be put to shame by an HW35 designed thirty years before it was. The HW77 came out and that was it for the Stirling.

Benjamin bought the tooling and made a few in the USA, who bought them I wonder? Having been a failure in the UK I cannot imagine Americans paying their hard-earned dollars for something that the R1 would humiliate at the first shot.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    They are still quite fun though. Beautifully made, whatever their faults. Roy Hutchinson's first design that got made in quantity. A bit more thought in the execution would have helped: better styling, removable sights, properly thought through stock. Even James Edmiston who owned Sterling thought it ugly. I have a Uk HR 81 and a U.S. built 83. Like them nonetheless.

When Benjamin were taken over by Croskan remaining stock was sold off at next to nothing.

Quirky that is what they are. And who doesn't like a bit of quirky every now and again. I wouldn't be without mine. I even don't mind them too much to shoot, but pig ugly as air rifles go. My guess on a .177 in good nick would be 160-180 earth pounds.

Lakey

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Quirky that is what they are. And who doesn't like a bit of quirky every now and again. I wouldn't be without mine. I even don't mind them too much to shoot, but pig ugly as air rifles go. My guess on a .177 in good nick would be 160-180 earth pounds.

Lakey
    Yes but it is nice ugly, like a Mauser 1896 'Broomhandle' pistol. Not properly ugly like a Logun S16 or a Hatsan Tactical. I think the difference is that the Mauser 1896 and the Sterling are just what they are, form dictated by function while really ugly rifles are trying to be cool and failing.