Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sterling HR81 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Definitely, according to the cannot fail test that I cordially disliked them for years but have recently found myself thinking that it might be nice to have one.
    You've summed up the exact same place I was for many years. In my mind the gun fell top to bottom of the ugly tree breaking every damn branch on the way down. But back last summer I went and bought a lovely example of one. I still think they are pug ugly n dont handle that well but quirky is definitely the word. Am glad I got it n got it out of my system.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Yes but it is nice ugly, like a Mauser 1896 'Broomhandle' pistol. Not properly ugly like a Logun S16 or a Hatsan Tactical. I think the difference is that the Mauser 1896 and the Sterling are just what they are, form dictated by function while really ugly rifles are trying to be cool and failing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    You've summed up the exact same place I was for many years. In my mind the gun fell top to bottom of the ugly tree breaking every damn branch on the way down. But back last summer I went and bought a lovely example of one. I still think they are pug ugly n dont handle that well but quirky is definitely the word. Am glad I got it n got it out of my system.
    Dave
    Yes to both of those. I forgive Mauser for the C96 (and Borchardt, Bergmann and similar) because they thought they had a great design, even if Georg Luger and John Browning and then came along and showed them how it should have been done. Same with mid-19th Century revolvers, some of which are grotesque (Enfield .476?) but unintentionally.

Back in the early 80s, I was sure that the FWB Sport was the best sporting airgun ever, except maybe that new-fangled Theoben Sirocco thing (which was obviously not as good as they said because, well, er, I could not afford one). Fast forward 30+ years and I have become much more tolerant of things I knew then weren't great, and oddly affectionate towards them. I even have a Webley Beeman C1 carbine, which is a very silly thing that serves no useful purpose then or now, but I am quite fond of it. Maybe, in a rather English way, I am well-disposed to underdogs, also-rans, and historic failures and near-misses.

Back on topic, Sterlings do seem to be offered recently, whether on here, by dealers, or in auction valuations, at the £200+ ish mark in 90+% condition.