Thread: Atn shot trak hd gun camera

Exclamation ATN Shot Trak HD Gun Camera

Hi all

I was thinking of investing in the above camera to fit on my HW100s, for when I go down to the stables to do a spot of bunny bashing.

As I know absolutely nothing about the Shot Trak Camera, I Was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the camera and could give me some advice. I have never fitted any kind of camera or recording equipment to any of my guns, but from what I have seen, this unit seems to be the most simple and less bulky than most.

Any advice wil be greatly appreciated,

John

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ak_hd_gun.html
    Last edited by luckymjr; 10-02-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Hi all

I was thinking of investing in the above camera to fit on my HW100s, for when I go down to the stables to do a spot of bunny bashing.

As I know absolutely nothing about the Shot Trak Camera, I Was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the camera and could give me some advice. I have never fitted any kind of camera or recording equipment to any of my guns, but from what I have seen, this unit seems to be the most simple and less bulky than most.

Any advice wil be greatly appreciated,

John

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ak_hd_gun.html
    This chap has recently done a review of the shot trak. personally I find the 5X lens still limited if hunting beyond 20 yards ( it is a hell of a lot better than that bloody annoying GoPro lens though ). BTW what the hell 5X means?
    I do have a bit of experience in cameras and telescopes and for the love of god I have no idea what 5X means or 5X of what. In optical terms a lens with a focal length equivalent to the hypotenuse of the sensor/film is regarded as standard as it can illuminate the entire sensor but is this what the 5X is referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzN6aqGAddM

A.G

Thanks for the reply and link AG
    Sam colt made them equal

Anybody else
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    This chap has recently done a review of the shot trak. personally I find the 5X lens still limited if hunting beyond 20 yards ( it is a hell of a lot better than that bloody annoying GoPro lens though ). BTW what the hell 5X means?
    I do have a bit of experience in cameras and telescopes and for the love of god I have no idea what 5X means or 5X of what. In optical terms a lens with a focal length equivalent to the hypotenuse of the sensor/film is regarded as standard as it can illuminate the entire sensor but is this what the 5X is referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzN6aqGAddM

A.G
    I thought 5x means 5 times magnification e.g an object at 25 yds will appear as if 5 yds away? Surely all scopes, binos etc. use the same system? A 4 x32 scope has a 32 mm objective and 4 times magnification.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I thought 5x means 5 times magnification e.g an object at 25 yds will appear as if 5 yds away? Surely all scopes, binos etc. use the same system? A 4 x32 scope has a 32 mm objective and 4 times magnification.
    It might well do but it is meaningless unless it is compared to the FOV of the human eye in which case it has to be expressed in another way. A 35 mm film camera ( full frame digital nowadays ) has a diagonal of 42.4 mm which covers an angle of view ( horizontal ) of about 46 degrees. This is approximately the angle of view of a human eye. That is why in photographic terms it is called " normal " lens. The popular 50mm lenses are in fact slightly long and not " normal " and the 35 mm is as you know a wide angle. They are probably referring to the focal length of the lens being 5x the diagonal of the sensor therefore in effect giving you a 5X the normal lens for this particular sensor. But unless this is stated clearly it could be anything, 5X the focal length of the compound eye of a fly, unless they clarify it. It would have been better to either express this in terms of FOV or with some reference to a 35 mm camera for example the lens being equivalent to a 200 mm telephoto in relative terms as this is easier for most people to relate to. The other meaningless term that is widely used in both terrestrial and astronomical scopes sales blurb is magnification, but it is beyond the scope of this thread to discuss why.

Kind Regards,

A.G

I've got one but not used it yet with this awful weather we've been having.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickster View Post
    I've got one but not used it yet with this awful weather we've been having.
    Will be really interested how you get on with the camera. Feel free to drop me a line and let me know,

John
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    It might well do but it is meaningless unless it is compared to the FOV of the human eye in which case it has to be expressed in another way. A 35 mm film camera ( full frame digital nowadays ) has a diagonal of 42.4 mm which covers an angle of view ( horizontal ) of about 46 degrees. This is approximately the angle of view of a human eye. That is why in photographic terms it is called " normal " lens. The popular 50mm lenses are in fact slightly long and not " normal " and the 35 mm is as you know a wide angle. They are probably referring to the focal length of the lens being 5x the diagonal of the sensor therefore in effect giving you a 5X the normal lens for this particular sensor. But unless this is stated clearly it could be anything, 5X the focal length of the compound eye of a fly, unless they clarify it. It would have been better to either express this in terms of FOV or with some reference to a 35 mm camera for example the lens being equivalent to a 200 mm telephoto in relative terms as this is easier for most people to relate to. The other meaningless term that is widely used in both terrestrial and astronomical scopes sales blurb is magnification, but it is beyond the scope of this thread to discuss why.

Kind Regards,

A.G
    I have no doubt that you know what you're talking about, but can you explain to this layman, in simple terms, how it is that I can look e.g. at the moon through one naked eye and with the other through an 8X telescope, I can see an image with a very close approximation to 8 times larger?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.