Thread: Fitted a replacement bolt to my Service rifle tonight!!

Thumbs up Fitted a replacement bolt to my Service rifle tonight!!

Hi all

My old Webley Service bolt has always been snapped off whilst i've owned it, Couldn't complain for what I paid for it though!!

I managed to get one from Fleabay a few weeks ago, Think I paid £25 with P&P, The bolt was in good nick but my nut was better than the replacement so I went with mine!

I disassembled it (Had to shear the pin, The replacement had been removed the same way!) So I drifted the pin towards the hole where the bolt should be and it came out easily, I then screwed the bolt in and guided an appropritae drill down the bore and drilled out the bolt..

After making a new 4mm tanned leather seal, I oiled it then replaced it on the brass guide and fitted it, Screwed on the nut, refitted the bolt and..... Tapped the drill bit in shank first the lopped it off with a cutting disc in the Dremel! I cut it overlength just in case I had to remove it (Too tough to shear this one so would have to be extracted!!), When me new lathe is in place i'll make a mild steel pin that will shear and replace the toughened drill shank!..

Pic 1

Pic 2 I have cleared the cutting dust after I saw the pic!! (It slipped my mind before so It's a good job I took the pics!!

Pic 3 I shot the pellet at the concrete ground from just a few inches, I've had more deformation from .22 air pistols before so I reckon the piston seal is a neccessity!!

Power is down but the spring is good, Breech seal is good but the bronze ring is scored, Looks like i'll have to source one! They come up on fleabay quite often..

Overall i'm quite happy at how it's turned out!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Good effort. Thanks for the photos etc
    How about an "O" ring. I'll have a look for a bronze ring tomorrow.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Good effort. Thanks for the photos etc
    How about an "O" ring. I'll have a look for a bronze ring tomorrow.
    I didn't think of an O Ring!!

Cheers, John

Re breach seal: I have used a red fibre washer for many years and it is still Ok. I cannot remember if I had to enlarge the hole or not ....

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Re breach seal: I have used a red fibre washer for many years and it is still Ok. I cannot remember if I had to enlarge the hole or not ....

Cheers, Phil

Sounds a great idea Phil, I had some leather left over from fleabay, it's actually a fawn colour but it seems to have gone a red colour with the oil, I used years old BSA oil that someone found loads of and were selling off, also on the Bay!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Sounds a great idea Phil, I had some leather left over from fleabay, it's actually a fawn colour but it seems to have gone a red colour with the oil, I used years old BSA oil that someone found loads of and were selling off, also on the Bay!

John

Nice Job Matey.

old BSA OIL , that's not for guns! That's for drinking at weddings and christenings

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Nice Job Matey.

old BSA OIL , that's not for guns! That's for drinking at weddings and christenings
    Dread to think what you drink at wakes Binners.

John Found a bronze ring but didn't get around to checking if it's a Mkll Service. Try again tomorrow.

Good job Sir. Knibbs do the rings if need be, including an oversized unit if required.

John. Have found a bronze ring which is correct size. Also have suitable "O" rings if it helps.

breech seal

Try re-worked old tap washers plenty of different sizes about in rubber and leather they work a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    John. Have found a bronze ring which is correct size. Also have suitable "O" rings if it helps.

Hi Deejay

I bought one off fleabay!! It arrived today!

Sorry, I'd forgotten that you was going to look for one

I just have to get the grubscrew out now that I partially snapped in!!

Cheers, John

Gotcha John! good rresult. Sorry my inbox was choked.