Thread: Anyone know the whereabouts of a S&W 586 8" BARREL?

Anyone know the whereabouts of a S&W 586 8" BARREL?

Looking to buy an 8" Barrel -Black for My new Smith and Wesson 586-6 Umarex
    Any shops carry them in UK?
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Think you will struggle for a new one in the UK. SWS germany sell the 4" & 6" black for a good price (plus post), last time I asked they were the original gloss finish. Given that the 8" was discontinued, any that you find used are likely to be the original gloss finish, which may look odd on a new matt black 586.

Discontinued ?

I believe these are discontinued, so second hand seems the only option.

From what I've read (I have a 6inch 586 black) the 6in is the better balanced gun. The 8 inch barrel should (in theory) give few extra FPS but I suspect it's negligible and offset by the gun being "nose heavy"

I've also read that accuracy improves when using a silencer, probably from the longer barrel but without too much extra weight. Hope that helps !

David

Thanks for the advice, may just stick with 6"
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

I have an old gloss black 8 Smith.
    Which is a favourite.

It is a bit more powerful than my 6 and very accurate.

Doesn't handle as well as the 6 but then the 6 doesn't handle as well as the 4!

I think the 6" is the best compromise, as far as I'm concerned it's the best all rounder co2 pistol out there.

The moderator should help accuracy with any gun, as it traps the turbulent gas that tries to over take the pellet as soon as it leaves the barrel, air strippers do sort of the same thing, they strip the turbulent air away from the pellet but instead of containing and releasing it in a controlled manner to dampen the sound, they just divert the gas/air up, back and to the sides to reduce muzzle flip and recoil (to a better affect on the really big fac guns) as a result the pellet/projectile is in clean air free from turbulence.
    You might notice a shift in point of impact, this is due to more weight at the front end and the projectile not been buffeted by turbulence of the gas that pushed it out of the barrel, the best moderaters have baffles that have holes just (and I do mean just) bigger than the projectile lined up perfectly with the barrel and have the capacity to handle the amount of gas, eg, if 3cc of air at 100 bar is released into a barrel than as it tries to get to ambient air pressure (1 bar) then it will expand to 300cc, so if the mod only has a 200cc capacity then it will be overwhelmed and won't be as quite as it could be, if the mod has a 400cc capacity then it will echo.

Apologys for the long winded reply but I'm bored!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php